Are you short on diskspace for free multi-gig sample sets?

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Are you short on diskspace for free multi-gig sample sets?

Post by glowrak guy »

I ask because with almost 200 views of the topic about free 5 gig piano SFZ samplesets, nobody has reported trying them yet.

Is this a financial concern due to download bandwidth, or the cost of disk space? Or just the voice of crickets?

I realize inflation is attacking budgets in general, and curious about how linux musician's access to content
is being affected by necessary food and energy prices.
Cheers

sunrat
Established Member

Re: Are you short on diskspace for free multi-gig sample sets?

Post by sunrat »

To which topic are you referring? I just did several searches "piano sfz","piano samples" etc. and came up blank.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Seems a weird assumption to make just because no one replied to your post.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

glowrak guy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:20 am

I ask because with almost 200 views of the topic about free 5 gig piano SFZ samplesets, nobody has reported trying them yet.

Is this a financial concern due to download bandwidth, or the cost of disk space? Or just the voice of crickets?

Personally it is mixture of disk space (Still having 200G free from 3.5T disks) and amount of what I have on my disk. Piano is not really my favourite instrument, but still have multiple sampled pianos on my disk, so having one more does not make sense. And because I and not huge piano fan, testing such would not be giving much information, 'It sounds like piano' would be most likely what I would think :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Pianoteq (\~50MB) fulfills all my piano needs. Even if it didn't, I'm generally not interested in free anything if I need to create an account for it.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

I already have the Ivy Audio piano. nearly 5gb of piano sounds that I never use (no reflection on the instrument) :D I have also have made a thread which has over 7000 views and no replies.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

sunrat wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:27 am

To which topic are you referring? I just did several searches "piano sfz","piano samples" etc. and came up blank.

Hi, it's the topic just before this one...
Cheers

Last edited by glowrak guy on Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

sysrqer wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:52 am

Seems a weird assumption to make just because no one replied to your post.

It's a question, not an assumption. I'm curious about the well-being of musicians who typically value free instruments. I imagined there might be interest in quality pianos in oft requested SFZ format. Pianobook is a growing cross platform contributor. The linux DecentSampler comes in very handy to play the Pianobook sounds.
Cheers

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

tavasti wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:11 am
glowrak guy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:20 am

Personally it is mixture of disk space (Still having 200G free from 3.5T disks) and amount of what I have on my disk. Piano is not really my favourite instrument, but still have multiple sampled pianos on my disk, so having one more does not make sense. And because I and not huge piano fan, testing such would not be giving much information, 'It sounds like piano' would be most likely what I would think :-)

Good points. I've found that a good EQ, filter, and reverb can provide a lot of what multiple multiple pianos can. But I admit to enjoying
the quest for something better, or unique in some good way.
Cheers

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Impostor wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:23 pm

Pianoteq (\~50MB) fulfills all my piano needs. Even if it didn't, I'm generally not interested in free anything if I need to create an account for it.

I'm also a bit choosy when account creation is required, even more so when some registration of the free item is involved,
so I read up a bit to make a value judgement. IK Multimedia do this, but the free products are good enough that
a lot of people still try and use them. I did finally succomb to making an account...here

Pianoteq is on my must-have-someday list, especially for the malleted and plucked instruments, and now some new guitars 8)
The size and versatility difference between modeled vs sampled gets more impressive every year.
Cheers

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Largos wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:50 pm

I already have the Ivy Audio piano. nearly 5gb of piano sounds that I never use (no reflection on the instrument) :D I have also have made a thread which has over 7000 views and no replies.

I rarely get replies to my posts at the kvr linux topics, generally see around 40 views per post, so assume there's
a few notifications going out to the same people. I listened to the Ivy 162 in some youtubes, sounds pretty nice.
A barely audible piano layered with other sounds can be fun to add some subtle attack to their envelopes.
Cheers

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

glowrak guy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:52 pm

I imagined there might be interest in quality pianos in oft requested SFZ format. Pianobook is a growing cross platform contributor. The linux DecentSampler comes in very handy to play the Pianobook sounds.

You don't know that there wasn't an interest, that's my point. For example, I already have decentsampler and various pianobook sets so your post would have little value to me, doesn't mean I'm not interested in quality piano sounds. Another alternative is that people went to the link, started playing with it and forgot or didn't want to say anything in the post.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

glowrak guy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:13 am

I did finally succomb to making an account...here

:)
It's likely that I have some forgotten accounts here and there on the web, but that's exactly the problem with those single-use accounts sometimes required for free stuff. If I don't use an account anymore I want it deleted asap. I don't like my personal info (even if only an email address) being scattered who knows where.

glowrak guy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:13 am

Pianoteq is on my must-have-someday list, especially for the malleted and plucked instruments, and now some new guitars 8)

Yeah, I still have some instruments on my wishlist too.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

sysrqer wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:47 am
glowrak guy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:52 pm

I imagined there might be interest in quality pianos in oft requested SFZ format. Pianobook is a growing cross platform contributor. The linux DecentSampler comes in very handy to play the Pianobook sounds.

You don't know that there wasn't an interest, that's my point. For example, I already have decentsampler and various pianobook sets so your post would have little value to me, doesn't mean I'm not interested in quality piano sounds. Another alternative is that people went to the link, started playing with it and forgot or didn't want to say anything in the post.

And I may have overestimated the willingness of people to share their views. I noticed that Largos nice color enhanced sfz editor announcement had 1100 views. and just one comment. But an important one, that perhaps inspired more views. When I read the story, I saw it was something that filled a current desire, so added a 2nd comment based on my happy experience.

Maybe there are general forum analytics statistics out there somewhwere.
Cheers

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Getting people to reply is easy. All you need to do is trigger their moral outrage. Here's how you should have written your piano announcement.

"I realize that these piano sfzs are of use only to keyboardists. After all, guitarists can't deal with instruments that can play more than 6 notes at a time. Bassists don't know what to do with the notes above middle C. And drummers don't even know what a musical pitch is."

So you only got replies after this second thread. It could have been worse. In addition to largos, merlin could have also replied.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.