What place does music hold in your life?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

What place does music hold in your life?

Post by Basslint »

Hard question to answer, I know: what place does music hold in your life?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: What place does music hold in your life?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I've got music on the radio on the whole day. I enjoy my CD collection very much. Inspires me. And I like to fiddle with synthesizers myself every now and then. If I record that, I use Linux.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: I like to fiddle with synthesizers
No, no. You're supposed to play a synth with your fingers, not a horse-hair bow.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:16 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: I like to fiddle with synthesizers
No, no. You're supposed to play a synth with your fingers, not a horse-hair bow.
Ha ha. My English ain't no good. :wink:
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

For myself, music has evolved into what I would say is now the central focus. Becoming disabled decades ago, the other joys in being active were stripped away. Music is about all that remains.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

For me it's a side show -- a hobby. It's an escape, and a balm. It used to be all-consuming, and it sometimes gets close to that again when I am really excited about a project. But that's nothing compared to what music was for me 25 years ago. I'm almost certain that if I had had the chance I would have sold my soul for music when I was a teenager.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hmmm,

Number 1 priority (after children, significant others etc...obviously)

Too late to make a career of it but my real job basically subsidizes my music and software pursuits and I plan to play live, write songs and record them until they pry the telecaster out of my cold dead fingers.. :lol:
albert90
Established Member

Post by albert90 »

In my case, music can completely control my mood at times. Sometimes that could be a bad thing, but more often than not, its uplifting!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

milo wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:32 pm I'm almost certain that if I had had the chance I would have sold my soul for music when I was a teenager.
In some ways, I think this might be the case for many teenagers for which music is really the only door to transcendence or spirituality in our materialistic culture. At least it was: modern mainstream music is getting more and more materialistic, not just in terms of lyrics (folk music from the pre-recording era was often not much better!) but also in terms of the music itself (with all the "perfection" that comes with extreme post-processing of performances and digital plugins). That's why many a youth are listening to old music on streaming platforms.

In my teen years, music was everything. Now I can't quite understand what place it holds in my life, that's why I opened this thread :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Eli
Established Member

Post by Eli »

Started off as a recreational obsession, similar to a videogame. Managed to find some success from it over a few years, but the money/industry distorted my outlook. Went from creating just for fun to creating for the sake of a commercially viable product. That was way harder and less fun than just being a hobbyist, so much so that I grew bitter, killed all my social media and quit producing for years. I sought employment elsewhere. Nowadays I'm trying to get to a sustainable place within that new employment, such that I can learn to enjoy my old hobby again. Hate that I for some reason couldn't handle living my dream, or what I thought my dream was, but it is what it is. Maybe somewhere down the line in my life.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

It's just there, an intrinsical part of my life. It's much like how GMaq describes it with the main difference that it will be an ES-335 they have to pry out of my fingers.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

For me it's just always been there.
As far back as I can remember I would hum or sing to myself, and when I was about 4 I 'discovered' the old piano in the lounge. No other member of the family had any interest in music, which created some 'issues', but it became obvious that this was just a part of me and wasn't a fad that would go away, so I did get some piano lessons, and a degree of acceptance. Poor old dad. He never did understand how I could get equal enjoyment from music and engineering :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
mitzini
Established Member

Post by mitzini »

Music plays a huge part in my life. I spend a great deal of time almost everyday actively looking for new artists and music for me to listen to. :)
Vishnu

Post by Vishnu »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:55 am

I've got music on the radio on the whole day. I enjoy my CD collection very much. Inspires me. And I like to fiddle with synthesizers myself every now and then. If I record that, I use Linux.

I love how Linux gives me the freedom to customize my system and make it work exactly the way I want it to. I also love that it's open source and I can take part in its development. Plus, I can use it for recording and producing music with some great tools like Audacity, Ardour, and JACK. I'm also a big fan of the command line and all the powerful tools available.

Kimero

Post by Kimero »

I'm a BA in music as well for voice. I'm basically the go-to for all of my friends both male and female when it comes to discovering music. They call me the musical guru and I usually provide the music for road trips and get-togethers.