What mid-range audio interfaces are compatible with (L)ubuntu 22.10?

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dominofats

What mid-range audio interfaces are compatible with (L)ubuntu 22.10?

Post by dominofats »

I would like to know what interface would be compatible for recording with Audacity on Lubuntu 22.10. Does anyone have experience with models in the range of the Audient iD14 MKII, for example? Thanks for any suggestions.

wjl
Established Member

Re: What mid-range audio interfaces are compatible with (L)ubuntu 22.10?

Post by wjl »

Look for "USB class compliant". If it doesn't need a driver on Macs and their CoreAudio, you're probably good with Linux.

My Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (2nd gen) runs and sounds perfectly.

more about me on my blog
RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Mackie Onyx Producer 2-2 sounds great and has a pretty low noise floor. Works out of the box with (K)Ubuntu 22.04 and earlier. I assume it's the same for 22.10. I paid somewhere around $150 Canadian, which is about $110-120 USD.

bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

There are some threads on the forum regarding Audient iD14. It sounds like they had success. These devices some times change internally in newer models though. Look for things in the device that can only be controlled via some software that has to be installed. Even class compliant devices can be rendered useless by these added features. These types of things become more common as you move up from lower end devices.

I think there has been development on Clarett 4Pre and 8Pre linux software control to make these now fully usable in Linux.

If you are looking for better preamps I sometimes think a better option might be to just stick with a lower line device like the Scarletts and then add a quality analog pre in front of it. I don't think the quality of the DAC will be very noticable if at all.

aldolinho

Post by aldolinho »

Hello,

I use Behringers UMC404HD for a year now. Worked out of the box with Manjaro Linux, Jack & Ardour. I also have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo in use since 2015. Worked with Linux Mint and KDE neon as well as with Manjaro.

Last edited by aldolinho on Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
miuzik
Established Member

Post by miuzik »

Tascam US-HR series, Focusrite Scarlett (any generation), Presonus Studio 24c (Studio series).

More money: SSL 2+ or Motu M2

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

aldolinho wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:12 am

Hello,

I use Behringers UMC404HD for now a year. Worked out of the box with Manjaro Linux, Jack & Ardour. I also have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo in use since 2015. Worked with Linux Mint and KDE neon as well as with Manjaro.

Bear in mind that the latest (revision of) Behringer UMC404HD only works with the latest kernel. But, indeed, it should work out of the box (it's USB audio class compliant).

Babarosa
Established Member

Post by Babarosa »

I am using with Debian 11 a "MOTU M4 3rd edition" (in Europe € 260,-) and an "ESI Maya22 USB" (in Europe € 80,-). Both are working without any problems and have excellent specs.
For the Maya even exists an mixer and router application: https://sourceforge.net/projects/maya22gui/

Debian 12 - MOTU M4, ESI Maya22 USB - Rosegarden, Reaper