One-tap sequencer needed...

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

OccinticLady
Established Member

One-tap sequencer needed...

Post by OccinticLady »

Hi all...
I bought a nanopad and a padKontrol (yea, I'm a Korg freak) and use these to control Seq24.
Just one snag...I press a pad, and the sequence runs, until I release the pad.
What I'd like to do is press the pad and leave it thee, with the sequence running until I re-press the pad...
Is there a way to achieve this? And with what software?
Thanks
Melissa
PS : if someone has tips to use PortMIDI with Pascal/Lazarus, it would be helpfull. I used Python, but the learning curve is extreme for me...

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: One-tap sequencer needed...

Post by sysrqer »

I could show you how to set this up in VCV Rack if you're interested. Basically you want a latch or a flip-flop switch. There might be something in the pizmidi plugin pack but I can't see one that's obvious, there is one called midiccToggle which might work.

However, normally midi controllers can be configured to do this, have you looked into that? You could also use midizap, I set something up similar for VCV Rack and my controller so I might be able to give you some basic help with that.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Ok, so just fired up my daw and Cardinal. This is all you need for it. When you press a key or pad the midi comes in to the left module, the gate triggers the flip flop and outputs a constant voltage on output A. When you press it again the flip flop changes to output B (not connected to anything) and the gate stops on output A. You could use this as standalone before your daw or inside it if you like. You don't necessarily need the reset connected but helps if your pad lights up and for you to know what the pad will do when you press it. If you can pass the note/velocity etc through if you like by connecting the input module directly to the output module.

I think this is what you need?

Screenshot_20221206_165258.png
Screenshot_20221206_165258.png (171.33 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
ForrestH
Established Member

Post by ForrestH »

Looks like the padKONTROL can be set to do that: Setting mode>Switch Type>Momentary/Toggle=TGL

OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

sysrqer wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:57 pm

Ok, so just fired up my daw and Cardinal. This is all you need for it. When you press a key or pad the midi comes in to the left module, the gate triggers the flip flop and outputs a constant voltage on output A. When you press it again the flip flop changes to output B (not connected to anything) and the gate stops on output A. You could use this as standalone before your daw or inside it if you like. You don't necessarily need the reset connected but helps if your pad lights up and for you to know what the pad will do when you press it. If you can pass the note/velocity etc through if you like by connecting the input module directly to the output module.

I think this is what you need?

Screenshot_20221206_165258.png

Hi,
This could be something I can work with. I can not (yet) fire up Cardinal, I dont get that interface, I miss a lib, I may need to look that up which one.
But it seems to be a central one that - if replaced - could fry my system... :smile: