Looking for Ubuntu Studio audio production tutor

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

BlueCamoose
Established Member

Looking for Ubuntu Studio audio production tutor

Post by BlueCamoose »

Hey folks,
messing around with Ubuntu Studio. I have a few midi controllers I have built and a Korg MS-20 mini I want to control. Im struggling with the basics of qjackCtl and could use some guided introductions to the different soft synths / loopers / arpeggiators. I am basically technically competent (software developer off an on for 20 years and working musician) but this road has me struggling.
If this is your wheelhouse your up for doing a remote session or two to help me get rolling lets chat! Happy to pay a reasonable fee. Send me a DM or email me (forum username with no spaces at gmail). If this is the wrong place to post such a solicitation my apologies...

khz
Established Member

Re: Looking for Ubuntu Studio audio production tutor

Post by khz »

Hello,

short technical welcome reply:

1. qjackctl: https://linuxaudio.github.io/libremusic ... -jack.html
  2. To chat e.g.: viewtopic.php?p=129803#p129803 >> https://fairmeeting.net/alinuxmusiciansvideomeeting
  3. General: see my signature.

HF 8-)

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
BlueCamoose
Established Member

Post by BlueCamoose »

Hey @khz thanks for the reply. I checked out that tutorial and a couple others. In theory seems really straight forward, I figured when I connected my foot keyboard to my external synth or one of the softsynths I should be able to get things to work but no luck. I can see with midisnoop that it is sending note on/off messages so idk what gives.
Happy to jump on that meeting link if you got minute? I have it up now.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Have you dragged to make a connection in qjackctl between your midi controller and whatever program you want to use? If you are using a daw such as qtractor or ardour then I think you should see the controller in the track routing.

If it is showing in midisnoop then it's working and you should just need to make the connections.

BlueCamoose
Established Member

Post by BlueCamoose »

Yes, I tried that with a couple of the soft synths and could not get them to recognize the incoming notes. So confused...

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Maybe post some screenshots of your connections. I find Catia or patchage easier to see the connections but either way it may help to see what's wrong.

BlueCamoose
Established Member

Post by BlueCamoose »

I think I got it sorted. I did some memory checks and a a reinstall of the OS, something must have been corrupted. I noticed some kernel messages when I rebooted. Now it works like one would logically think it would work

mk1967
Established Member

Post by mk1967 »

Just this weekend I found myself playing again a bit with UbuntuStudio - I was never fond of QJackCtl, let alone UbuntuStudio Controls :roll: . I can imagine how you got into trouble. That software really wrecked my nerves and so I never used UbuntuStudio for my audio projects - because I have always wanted to use JACK I preferred other distributions like LibraZiK Studio.

But: I am still floored to see how well JACK works in UbuntuStudio when I direct it using Cadence :!: . Since I started to check it out the day before yesterday it just works. Period. :D The very first time I could really use JACK with UbuntuStudio ! (And I had done experiments since UbuntuStudio 10.04.) I absolutely don't know why bit it's a fact.

So I would suggest that you might check out Cadence, too. It's available in the sources. You will just need to type the command

Code: Select all

sudo apt install cadence

and that's it. apt will erase UbuntuStudio Controls automatically but that will be absolutely no problem :wink: . I think the UbuntuStudio developers would be wise to integrate Cadence as a standard software from the beginning... :idea:

Michael

eufex
Established Member

Post by eufex »

Sorry for bumping an old thread but this one would be of interest to anyone using Ubuntu Studio.
I wouldn't recommend using qjack ctl at all, although I know some people do like using it still. Ever since Studio Controls came in there's really no need to use it though. IMO it's far easier and more transparent to be using Studio Controls in conjunction with Carla (where you'd do all your patching and routing). Carla gives a very clear GUI and patchbay where you can viisibly patch everything to your hearts content and save those routings for later use.