Newbie sequencer advice

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

BlueCamoose
Established Member

Newbie sequencer advice

Post by BlueCamoose »

Hey folks,
I am wondering if anyone can point me towards what would be my best option for a Linux-based sequencer for live music production.

I have a foot controller I built out of a salvaged Hammond foot keyboard that does MIDI over USB. My hope is to be able to drive sequence patterns with different starting notes.
I am also designing an arduino (actually teensy) foot pedal that will turn tap tempos into MIDI and CV clock messages so hopefully the sequencer could respond to the those MIDI messages for live tempo adjustments.

I want to be able to feed my Korg MS-20 and maybe in the future a Moog Minatuar (both doing MIDI over USB) and have some sample based drum tracks as well, either coming out 1/8" from the embedded sound card or going USB to my Allen and Heath mixing board (which can act as a class-compliant USB audio device). I also have a first gen Korg NanoKontrol device and it would be cool if I could program that to control levels.

I have been looking at qTractor and Giada but I suspect others? Any distros you would recommend that would have some of these preloaded?

I suspect this might be an oft covered subject, feel free to point me to existing resources.
THanks!!