Reaper with CLAP support

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Largos
Established Member

Re: Reaper with CLAP support

Post by Largos »

sjzstudio wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:01 pm

I don't understand why it would be a bad thing to have propietary tools alongside open source tools? A really strange idea and violates the idea of free choice. Each coder of the program is free to decide on licensing and whether to distribute it to everyone for free or make it paid. Absurd restrictions and narrow-mindedness take us back to the Middle Ages. And the witches are burning again.

You also have the freedom not to buy or not to use, or use and buy. But why take that right away from others?

However, standards should always be free for use by all of humanity, in order to ensure continuous development. Diversity enables real development. Open your mind. :)

Not being able to see the source code of programs is an absurd restriction. Who said about taking rights away from others? Advocating for a better way of doing something is not about taking people's toys off them.

sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

Not being able to see the source code of programs is an absurd restriction. Who said about taking rights away from others? Advocating for a better way of doing something is not about taking people's toys off them.

You clearly didn't understand the message. So I meant that all restrictions are pointless. There is a place for both, Open source and proprietary. I don't want to limit anyone or anything. There's no point in arguing about this.

If someone wants to keep their code as their own, so be it. I'll buy it if it's good. Likewise, open source, if it's good, I'll donate. But in the end, everything stays here when we go over there to the other side. Does anyone here in time actually own anything? I think not, it's an illusion. But our world is like that.

At least I want to believe that there are open-minded people and friends here, in the Linux world.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

sjzstudio wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:23 pm

You clearly didn't understand the message. So I meant that all restrictions are pointless. There is a place for both, Open source and proprietary. I don't want to limit anyone or anything. There's no point in arguing about this.

If someone wants to keep their code as their own, so be it. I'll buy it if it's good. Likewise, open source, if it's good, I'll donate. But in the end, everything stays here when we go over there to the other side. Does anyone here in time actually own anything? I think not, it's an illusion. But our world is like that.

At least I want to believe that there are open-minded people and friends here, in the Linux world.

You want what you want and you don't want to hear an opinion against what you want is the jist of your message. Maybe talk about being open minded another time.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

As a musician, I evaluate music software based on a few criteria.
Will it run reliably in my linux systems?
Can I afford the cost?
Do I love it's sound and/or musical utility?
Is it easy enough to use on a regular basis?
Does it have future potential?

The 'musical utility' part applies to daws and the OS,
which are fundamental to getting things done efficiently
and peacefully. I can't justify Apple from a cost/performance basis.
I am not at peace with supporting Microsoft corporate policy,
nor the founder's personal crusades and morality failures, and I don't enjoy
the OS product experience. So I use various linux versions as the main OS.

The three linux-only music softwares I use most, are Yoshimi synth,
Rakarrack multi-effects, and Hydrogen drum machine. I hope each will have CLAP support,
with easier coding and perhaps wider acceptance because of it. Yoshimi is excellent
on all levels. Rakarrack is buggy and crashes at times, but overall, is good
at providing effects I like. Hydrogen has a few issues with file compatibilty
across systems of various age, but works very well for what I need.

So far, the status/license of the underlying code does not affect my choices.
Your statement, "A FOSS product is a better product." is religious in nature,
sans science, reason, or comparison testing, and as one who has promoted linux among win/mac users
for many years, I know most of those people would find it both elitist and absurd,
and over the years, such statements have engendered an anti-linux bias, based on interactions
with the devout adherants of FOSS.

Still curious about the "overpriced proprietary crap". Are you educationally qualified to determine
if something is overpriced?
What comparisons do you perform to determine if a given product is crap?
Do you consider 'proprietary' at the grocery store? The car lot? The hospital? The hardware your
linux OS relies on?

www.linuxfossians might be available as a domain, should you be serious.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@Largos

Who shit in your cornflakes today..?

Better/worse in this discussion are not quantifiable things at all, this stuff is all available to be consumed... Being open or closed minded... all subjective, based on opinions and pre-conceived notions. People use what works for them, and do what they know best to do at the time. Is Buddy Rich the 'best' to a Billie Eilish fan? or vice versa? You can articulate your preferences but beyond that we're all out of our league regarding other people's choices.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

@GMaq @glowrak guy @sjzstudio
You guys could pray proprietary software as long you want, but, that wouldn't change that this forum would be pointless without open source software. So you shouldn't be surprised when here are some open source enthusiast around.
Also, all that haven't much to do with the opening post. So, claim down and make some music.

On the road again.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tramp wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:59 pm

You guys could pray proprietary software as long you want, but, that wouldn't change that this forum would be pointless without open source software. So you shouldn't be surprised when here are some open source enthusiast around.
Also, all that haven't much to do with the opening post. So, claim down and make some music.

You're kidding right? You don't think I (and the other mentioned posters) are also Open Source enthusiasts..? I've been serving your good stuff and many others on a Silver Platter for a very long time to introduce it to people from other proprietary platforms for that very reason! To show there are choices and alternatives... but free choice is a blade that cuts both ways and getting in the way of the User's freedom to choose on one side or the other is an impediment to that freedom and the other aspects of 'openness' beyond the Source code start to disappear very quickly..

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

glowrak guy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:57 pm
Largos wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:03 am

...overpriced proprietary crap...

How about listing 20 examples of "...overpriced proprietary crap..." that has been ported to linux.

I'd like to make sure I haven't wasted my money.

Most of the proprietary crap I have bought has been reasonably priced. :mrgreen:
As a recently retired person I am now more sensitive to price and am a sucker for buying nice software when it is on special discount price eg. I bought Auburn Sounds Lens at introductory special half price, well worth it. Also, as a Mixbus user, I have purchased many of the Harrison XT plugins which are great, no regrets.
Generally I mainly use software which is free in both ways. Not up with CLAP yet but it seems to be a good innovation.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

GMaq wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:15 pm

@Largos

Who shit in your cornflakes today..?

Better/worse in this discussion are not quantifiable things at all, this stuff is all available to be consumed... Being open or closed minded... all subjective, based on opinions and pre-conceived notions. People use what works for them, and do what they know best to do at the time. Is Buddy Rich the 'best' to a Billie Eilish fan? or vice versa? You can articulate your preferences but beyond that we're all out of our league regarding other people's choices.

Where have I said otherwise? I gave my opinion on the CLAP format and for some reason people want to change this into some open source vs proprietary war where the evil open source people want to stop others from using proprietary software.

glowrak guy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:54 pm

So far, the status/license of the underlying code does not affect my choices.
Your statement, "A FOSS product is a better product." is religious in nature,
sans science, reason, or comparison testing, and as one who has promoted linux among win/mac users
for many years, I know most of those people would find it both elitist and absurd,
and over the years, such statements have engendered an anti-linux bias, based on interactions
with the devout adherants of FOSS.

Well, you can read up on the benefits of FOSS, I don't need to spell them out here. I will just say proprietary restrictions are done for the perceived benefits of the developer only. Also, lay off the assumptions, attempts to stereotype and name calling, cheers.

mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

Not being able to see the source code of programs is an absurd restriction.

When you release your own music, what license do you use and do you also provide all the raw tracks / sessions / samples / presets / stems etc so that anyone can remix them - and republish or redistribute them, possibly for monetary gain? Genuine question.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

All this libre-software purism looks hypocritical since you use closed BIOSes, firmwares, mobile apps, home appliance, cars etc.

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Kott wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:38 am

All this libre-software purism looks hypocritical since you use closed BIOSes, firmwares, mobile apps, home appliance, cars etc.

If I had a choice I would prefer all of them to be open - except maybe cars, I have mixed feelings about them since they pose a safety risk and I don't want just any idiot to be tinkering around in their car's source code.

Where-ever possible I always use free software. In the case of user space apps if there is no free software for that task then I don't use it, or I write my own or pay someone else to write it for me (and release it under a free license of course).

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

mike@overtonedsp wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:32 am

Not being able to see the source code of programs is an absurd restriction.

When you release your own music, what license do you use and do you also provide all the raw tracks / sessions / samples / presets / stems etc so that anyone can remix them - and republish or redistribute them, possibly for monetary gain? Genuine question.

Do I use a license I can't afford to enforce on a something which wouldn't need to be done anyway. I haven't provided stems, it's not something anyone wants rather than a principled occurrence. This is a false equivalence, it's not like not providing stems could cause any technical limitation to the music or hide anything.

Anyway, you make a lot of plugins that are "inspired by" something else so I am wondering if you are really zealous about intellectual property?

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

d.healey wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:00 am
Kott wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:38 am

If I had a choice I would prefer all of them to be open - except maybe cars, I have mixed feelings about them since they pose a safety risk and I don't want just any idiot to be tinkering around in their car's source code.

Where-ever possible I always use free software. In the case of user space apps if there is no free software for that task then I don't use it, or I write my own or pay someone else to write it for me (and release it under a free license of course).

I believe that not only you would prefer open technology. If it's safe. And then we facing that some software must stay closed, for the safety.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

tramp wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:59 pm

Instead of making music, somebody recently posted something nice about making music using your software. Among the unwashed unfossed Heathen. Because the software is good, and too few people know that. You choose to isolate yourselves in these FOSS-rules-the-world enclaves and attitudes. Go out in the real world, and prove you are better than the competition. It's way more fun being a player, than a fan!
Scroll down the page a bit, if interested.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... start=1320