Is there an easy way to restart the sound card in AvLinux MXE?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sjzstudio
Established Member

Re: Is there an easy way to restart the sound card in AvLinux MXE?

Post by sjzstudio »

artix_linux_user wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:46 pm

Well - lets go away from terms like true or untrue.
No Kernel regressions is what I saw and read about Linux kernel development.
This idea comes directly from Linus as I understood it.
You have problems with Linux?
You will find the answer I am sure.
Me? I have nothing to ask here because all 4000 installed native linux plugins are running stable - all software is running stable here and that is the reason why I am sure that there is the rule that there are no kernel regressions.
You think that there are kernel regressions?
Well I can understand that - you are using AVLinux and askign questions like how to restart sound card - its quite clear that some one like you would think that there are kernel regressions.
I saw it coming - thats why I gave my definition of this term.
You were probably talking about bugs in the userland...not about kernel.
Good luck and happy sound card restarting

And who did this comment help? And what are you talking about? Could you translate your thoughts into understandable language. :? I guess not everyone here is a computer or software engineer. Hopefully it's not a requirement to participate in the discussion.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

As seems de rigeur, I don't quite get what our friend is saying here.

FWIW, the notion that Linux kernels never have regressions is absurd on its face: all software has bugs, and the huge majority of them are unknown to their authors when they are committed.

It is true that a strong component of the Linux development community's ethos is, "there should be no regressions in userspace-visible behavior." The effect of this cultural choice is that reproducible evidence of such a regression is grounds for immediate reversion of the code which caused it, which is painful for everyone involved; this pain tends to lead to a higher-than-average-across-FLOSS-projects amount of care about how patches which might cause regressions get evaluated and merged. But no process is perfect, and Linux developers do make mistakes, just like the rest of humanity.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

I tried the Linux 6.0.0-10.1-liquorix-amd64 Kernel that the update provided. No change to the situation.

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

sjzstudio wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:37 pm

Is there an easy way to restart the sound card in AvLinux MXE? When I exit the Mixbus 32C program, there are crackles in e.g. spotyfy or youtube sounds. Restarting the machine has fixed the situation so far.

This is going way back but I found a way to to this if it is still persisting for you.

The issue seems to be my USB interface not resetting correctly when stopping jack. I found the usbreset utility. For my card I do the following.

sudo usbreset 001/004

Your USB bus number will be different. I wish there was a way to do it without sudo but alas.

Robin

SonicAudio
Established Member

Post by SonicAudio »

Robin Cherry wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:03 am

The issue seems to be my USB interface not resetting correctly when stopping jack. I found the usbreset utility.
For my card I do the following:

Code: Select all

sudo usbreset 001/004

Your USB bus number will be different. I wish there was a way to do it without sudo but alas.

You're in luck, there's a way to do this without manual entry and with automated password login! A small script can do this and even if it's integrated into the main menu with an appropriate icon and ends up in the toolbar, then it's just a mouse click. :wink:

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

SonicAudio wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:10 pm
Robin Cherry wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:03 am

The issue seems to be my USB interface not resetting correctly when stopping jack. I found the usbreset utility.
For my card I do the following:

Code: Select all

sudo usbreset 001/004

You're in luck, there's a way to do this without manual entry and with automated password login! A small script can do this and even if it's integrated into the main menu with an appropriate icon and ends up in the toolbar, then it's just a mouse click. :wink:

Thanks for the reply! I did find a way to do this as well. Some other folks told me how to add this command to the sudoers config file with the passwordless option enabled. I then added the command to my qjackctl post-shutdown script which has been working very well. No extra steps needed.

viewtopic.php?t=26400#p162082