Very happy with new USB cable

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gps
Established Member

Very happy with new USB cable

Post by Gps »

I have for some time now a Keystation mini 32.

https://m-audio.com/keystation-mini32-mk3

One mayor issue. The cable that came with is way to short, so I had bought a longer one. USB2 to USB2 mini.

That cable never fitted well, it gets quite annoying if you have to select in LMMS that keyboard about ones every 10 min, because LMMS and or Linux did not see it anymore.

Today with new cable, as a test, I had the keyboard connected for over an hour.
The lights stayed on, and I only once had to select it in LMMS.

How simple things can make you happy. :)

Sarcastic: Thank god for standards ?

sunrat
Established Member

Re: Very happy with new USB cable

Post by sunrat »

The simple things can be the most important things! :wink:

I had an annoying experience recently. I wished to record a live show from a band who are friends of mine. Said band hadn't played in my city for nearly 3 years and it was a one-off show.
I contacted the venue sound guy who is also an old friend and he said sure, we can record from the Firewire output on the AVID SC48 console. Comes gig time, Firewire had disconnected and failed to reconnect despite frantic attempts so no recording. Afterwards he said maybe it was the $3 ebay Firewire cable he was using. Needless to say, I was not happy. :cry:
Fortunately I have a recording of their 2019 show at a different venue from a Digico SD10 using the Digico UB-MADI MADI to USB interface so I can still work on that. The Digico recording worked perfectly. 8)

Gps
Established Member

Re: Very happy with new USB cable

Post by Gps »

I wish there was a quality standard for cables.

The longer one I bought first was not cheap, but from the first time I used it, the micro usb part did not fit that well.

I had a plan B though. Would this second longer cable also have issues, I would have bought an USB female to male USB cable.
To extent the cable that did come with the keyboard, and although way to short did, did work well

It sucks you lost a recording probably because of a cheap cable. (which he should have tested, but that's easy for me to say afterwards)