Arturia Midi Driver - has anybody got it working in WINE? (subject amended)

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fccoelho

Re: Arturia Midi Control Centre - has anybody got it working in WINE?

Post by fccoelho »

Primeval_Mudd wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:34 pm

Being a bit of an idiot something exceptionally obvious just struck me: the problem probably lies with the Arturia MIDI Driver which I can't install as it says it doesn't recognise the operating system.

Couldn't find this midi driver for download? Maybe they've integrated it on the control center?
Whatever the case, the Control center cannot see my devices( beatstep, and Keylab61 mkii)

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Arturia Midi Control Centre - has anybody got it working in WINE?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

fccoelho wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:21 pm
Primeval_Mudd wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:34 pm

Being a bit of an idiot something exceptionally obvious just struck me: the problem probably lies with the Arturia MIDI Driver which I can't install as it says it doesn't recognise the operating system.

Couldn't find this midi driver for download? Maybe they've integrated it on the control center?
Whatever the case, the Control center cannot see my devices( beatstep, and Keylab61 mkii)

Yes. See one of the earlier replies:

Primeval_Mudd wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:52 pm

[...] is included in the MCC .exe.

mrz80
Established Member

Re: Arturia Midi Driver - has anybody got it working in WINE? (subject amended)

Post by mrz80 »

Well, I've finally given up. Arturia's been good about responding to my queries; I just don't like what they respond WITH ("We don't support linux and have no interest in supporting linux"). :roll: And no combination WINE tweakery and trickery can coerce MIDI Control Center into talking to the Keylab. So, on the block it goes. 's a shame, really. The Keylab is wonderful hardware, and if I were still running Windows I'd probably be happier than a blue crab covered in Old Bay, but the software's absolutely linux-proof. :( . Time to go keyboard shopping again.

Network geek with a strong predilection for turning every scrap of wood into Telecasters and Les Pauls
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

These steps might help using the keyboard without the arturia software:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/USB_MIDI_keyboards

This topic here might also shed some light with screeshots and explanations.

viewtopic.php?t=20464

All that aside, for years I've used an Alesis QS8 as a midi controller, 88 piano-grade keys, 4 sliders and two wheels, sustain and expression pedal
inputs, and an excellent synth with easily understood sound bank selections, and sample-based sounds of which many are excellent all these years later. It's not usb, so 5pin cables i/o for midi. They run around $300 used in the U.S. Some models with fewer keys exist, like the 76 key Quadrasynth, that are a lighter synth-action, if that is a preference. I think I'll by one of those as a back-up this summer.
Cheers

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

I didn't read back through all of the other posts, so I apologize if this has already been suggested, but if you used KVM/QEMU and purchased a gray market Windows 11 license, you could use an actual install of Windows 11 from within your Linux machine, and everything would work just fine. The only drawbacks to virtualization is performance and latency, but everything else should work properly. A lot of businesses buy hardware and then use in-house prepared images of Windows (specially licensed), and thousands of Windows licenses go to waste every year. These gray market businesses are usually in the computer hardware recycling and reselling business, and harvest these unused licenses off of the equipment, and sell them for a profit. At a friend's recommendation, I picked up a perfectly legal, unused Windows 11 license for my son's computer he was building, and if I remember correctly, I paid only $35-40 for it. It's been a couple of years, and he's had absolutely no problem with the license. Now that he's used the license on his machine, it is tied to his hardware and his name just like any other Windows license would be. He doesn't even need the key if he needs to reinstall the OS, because Windows ties itself to the hardware.

Again, apologies if this has already been suggested, but if not, it's something to consider. I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't approve if they knew about it, but it's not really breaking any laws either, so it's essentially a gray market solution. I hope this helps! :)

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Audiojunkie wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:52 am

I didn't read back through all of the other posts, so I apologize if this has already been suggested, but if you used KVM/QEMU and purchased a gray market Windows 11 license, you could use an actual install of Windows 11 from within your Linux machine, and everything would work just fine.

At least win10 can be used without registering. I have license stickers in old computers that would give possibility to get license, but I have never bothered. It has some limitations like you can't change desktop background pic and there is watermark on screen about unregistered, but all works, updates come, etc. I don't know if same thing applies to win11, most likely yes.

And possibly you could do something like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxaudio/com ... n_a_340mb/

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

mrz80 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:21 pm

Well, I've finally given up. Arturia's been good about responding to my queries; I just don't like what they respond WITH ("We don't support linux and have no interest in supporting linux"). :roll: And no combination WINE tweakery and trickery can coerce MIDI Control Center into talking to the Keylab. So, on the block it goes. 's a shame, really. The Keylab is wonderful hardware, and if I were still running Windows I'd probably be happier than a blue crab covered in Old Bay, but the software's absolutely linux-proof. :( . Time to go keyboard shopping again.

Forgive me for asking, but for what exactly does one need the Arturia software Midi Control Centre (and thus Arturia's Midi driver) for the Keylab49 keyboard that you use? Only to change hardware settings or to actually use it as a Midi keyboard? Like others said - and as has been described in this here topic - one can install the Arturia software (which also installs the driver) in a virtual machine.

Is one able to use an Arturia Keylab 49 as a Midi keyboard without having to install a special driver? I.e. is is class compliant?

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Primeval_Mudd wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:29 pm

Hi,

EDIT: this post was originally, erroneously, about the Arturia MIDI Control Centre.

The actual problem is that the MIDI Driver installer says it doesn't recognise the operating system and won't install.

This is the original post, for reference:

Has anybody managed to get Arturia's Midi Control Centre to work in WINE?

I've recently become the very happy owner of a DrumBrute Impact which ain't half a lot of fun but, as is becoming increasingly and tediously the norm, several of the setup functions, along with pattern management, are only accessible to Windows/Mac users via the Midi Control Centre software.

It loads fine in WINE - as per the screenshot below - but can't find the DrumBrute Impact.

Is there something I can do to help it out?

Thanks.

I just went back and read the first post. You have the 5 pin midi out on that keyboard. It will definitely work on Linux. You need to buy a $15 class compliant USB to midi cable, and use that to connect to the keyboard.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Audiojunkie wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:19 pm

I just went back and read the first post. You have the 5 pin midi out on that keyboard. It will definitely work on Linux. You need to buy a $15 class compliant USB to midi cable, and use that to connect to the keyboard.

Getting it to work isn't the issue, it's configuring the hardware that can't be done. For example, on the keystep which I own, you can certainly use it in linux but there's loads of stuff you can change in the software such PPQN, voltage range for CV and gates, type of random for arp mode, edit saved patterns. You can't do these things without the windows software and some of them are critical such as voltage range and PPQN, depending on what else you are using it with.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sysrqer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:37 pm

Getting it to work isn't the issue, it's configuring the hardware that can't be done. For example, on the keystep which I own, you can certainly use it in linux but there's loads of stuff you can change in the software such PPQN, voltage range for CV and gates, type of random for arp mode, edit saved patterns. You can't do these things without the windows software and some of them are critical such as voltage range and PPQN, depending on what else you are using it with.

That probably answers my question too.

So if you have such an Arturia device you probably have to use a virtual Win 10 machine to run the configure software (Midi Control Center) to configure your keyboard. That is: if I understand correctly from this here topic that that'll work. If you're okay with doing that once or twice it may be acceptable. But maybe one has to configure the Arturia hardware often then it can become a deal-breaker...

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

That’s why I suggested KVM/Qemu for loading a virtualized full version of Windows, in a post above. This would solve the problem.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:45 am

That probably answers my question too.

So if you have such an Arturia device you probably have to use a virtual Win 10 machine to run the configure software (Midi Control Center) to configure your keyboard. That is: if I understand correctly from this here topic that that'll work. If you're okay with doing that once or twice it may be acceptable. But maybe one has to configure the Arturia hardware often then it can become a deal-breaker...

I guess it depends on the person, but it’s really just another open self-contained window. Aside from the additional resource usage, and slower opening of the app, it can be configured to look and act like any other window. Limit the resources to the VM, and put the app in your Windows startup, and when you click on the icon on your Linux desktop, the app will start up just like any other.

runiq
Established Member

Post by runiq »

That's why I returned my Arturia keyboard. Keeping an additional Windows machine up to date, hogging disk space, just to configure a keyboard is… ugh.