New thread about making money in the music and Linux industries...

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Impostor
Established Member

Re: New thread about making money in the music and Linux industries...

Post by Impostor »

ps: lol, what a coincidence, the auto correction here does not know the word successfull - is this a sign?

It's successful with a single l :)

The key to success:

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

artix_linux_user wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:07 pm

successful seems right, yes, lol
and it seems success is something you have or you dont but you wont talk about it - neverrrRRRRrrrrr

Well, as long as making money in the music business is not something I desire, I'm at least not necessarily unsuccessful.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

You want to make money in the music business? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

artix_linux_user wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:48 am

how to make money in the Linux industry

Become a SysOps/DevOps/DevSecOps. But that would be "how to make money with the Linux industry" unless you actually sell (support for) something you created :?

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

artix_linux_user wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:42 am

thanks, right - sys admins and developers can make much money, yes.
But this is not a linux speciality and I guess in most times, even as a dev or admind you still have to hustle with windows.

When I was doing work with my own company, in contract for customer I had clause 'may charge 10€/hour more if need to work with windows'. I have billed that extra for one day in 4 year period. So yes, sometimes need to use windows, but not very often.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Dominique
Established Member

Post by Dominique »

It depend on several factors. Here in Switzerland, you can learn music at high schools. Typically it is a 10 years program to learn classical music. But to make a living playing classical music, this will not be enough and you will have to make one more degree, like a PHD in music, that just to get a contract with a good enough orchestra. By good enough I mean an orchestra that will pay you a decent salary. It is very few of them.

Today, you can learn the other musical style like jazz and even popular music in these high schools. For what I can see around me, the only musicians that made a living out of their music are teachers in these high schools of music, or in some private music schools.

Another way of making a living can be to play in the streets. I made this myself during several years. It is not a bad business because, as soon you got an instrument, you can play. Eventually you will need new strings every weeks, but that's all. Which imply the main investment are the instruments, when you have it or them, it is just to play. The strings will not cost you more than the beer or coffee you will drink.

I know a few musicians that begun their career like that, they took a guitar and begun travelling around the world, playing guitar and singing. The hardest thing is to stop a few peoples, when it's done, other peoples will stay and you will begun to really make money. To stop the few first peoples, it is much easier if some friends can help you and stay until other peoples stopped. In some towns, you can use amplifiers and this make it much easier too, to stop peoples. Towns are noisy and you get a better sound with an amplifier, especially when it is a lot of peoples around you.

Another solution is to move in Cuba. You will not become rich, but you will make a living and meet outstanding musicians everywhere. The Cuban society is changing very fast now and I don't know how long this will be true. But for now, the government have a very social policy toward education and culture, inclusive the arts. This is the only country I know where it is really possible to make a living when being an artist. The issue here is than to reside in Cuba as a foreigner coming from the Western countries, you have to be an investor, or to make a significant contribution to the revolution, or to get married with some Cuban people.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

So, the definitive answer to the question "how to make money in the music business?" is:

Marry a Cuban!

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

I have no idea how to make money with music, but I would love to compose soundtrack/theme music. There is a guy I loosely know who for the last decade or so has been working on music for big, mainstream film productions in California (we're Canadian). Very nice guy, deserving of the success, and big kudos to him for "making it," but I'm really not into that type of music.

My dream would be to go back in time and make music for '70s/'80s horror and fantasy movies (a la Goblin, Tangerine Dream, John Carpenter). The time machine might not be necessary, though, since Stranger Things and a few other modern productions have resurrected those older styles of synth music.

For me, success could come in two forms:

-making a significant amount of money selling music I actually like (a full living would be great, but even the equivalent of a decent part-time job would be nice)... and which is used for something I actually like (like a good movie or TV show)

-making music that is thoroughly enjoyed by even a handful of people. There was a band in the '90s out of British Columbia called M Blanket. They only put out a couple of very lo-fi 7" records and a few songs on compilations. None of my friends had heard of them, but I spent hours and hours enjoying their songs, over the course of a few years. If I could touch someone in that way, I would count it as a real success.

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

artix_linux_user wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:58 am

Yes, I love nice OST aswell as 70ies funk and disco music.
Making money with music is a dream that is slowly becoming reality here:
I sold allready 2 tracks of my music and I am happy about it because I did no marketing at all, so I guess it was just my music that made the deal, nor the distribution nor the marketing.

Nice! Congratulations!