Which distribution?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

JayJayKing

Which distribution?

Post by JayJayKing »

Hi,

I'm planning to make an audio workstation out of my IBM T60P type 2008 with Fedora as the primary distribution. What studio distribution or other solution would you recommend for me and how much hard disk space should I reserve for it? I have some experience on Linux, but I'm no jedi, so... :)

I previously had a desktop computer with XP and Steinberg Cubase - don't remember the version. I've pre-produced couple of albums with that solution. But the computer is now broken beyond repair and on the other hand I have much better laptop - at least on paper.

Oh... and one more question! What USB sound cards do you recommend for Linux audio workstation? I'm not sure what to get but minimum requirements are two mic/line inputs. If you have some advice on a card with more inputs - like Presonus Firepod - I'm very interrested to hear your experiences too.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
And info about the computer

IBM T60P type 2008
Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2600 @ 2.16GHz
3 GB memory
256MB ATI Mobility FireGL V5200
100GB Hard disk
raboof
Established Member

Re: Which distribution?

Post by raboof »

JayJayKing wrote:What USB sound cards do you recommend for Linux audio workstation? I'm not sure what to get but minimum requirements are two mic/line inputs.
2 mono/stereo inputs or 2 mono inputs?

For 2 mono inputs/outputs, USB1.1 is sufficient (except if you want to do full-duplex at 96khz sample rate - uncommon if you ask me), so devices (like the edirol ua-25ex) will likely be cheaper and better-supported.
JayJayKing

Post by JayJayKing »

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, mono inputs.
EDIT: I could also buy a PCMCIA Firewire & USB 2.0 card to do the trick if necessary.

Edirol UA-25EX seems to be well supported in Linux and looks like a promising choice. But what about the distribution?
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

But what about the distribution?
The one you find yourself the most comfortable with, or that you have someone around to help you with.
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

Hi, I bought an Alesis Multimix 4 USB that works on linux. It's a piece of sh*t! My advice is to avoid it like the plague, the phantom power gives you only 5v, the inherent snoise it has it very, very loud. Avoid it, I didn't get away with it and now I'm investing on a decent one. I liked the saffire 6 usb, but it doesn't run on linux. I'll see what I do.

I use ubuntu with the ubuntustudio RT-kernel, I got 5ms of latency which is acceptable for me. It has the advantage of ubuntu's PPA's. I've heard good things about 64studio and AVlinux. I might try them out sometime, but now Im comfortable with ubuntu.

cheers
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

maghoxfr wrote:Hi, I bought an Alesis Multimix 4 USB that works on linux. It's a piece of sh*t! My advice is to avoid it like the plague, the phantom power gives you only 5v, the inherent snoise it has it very, very loud.
I don't know that one, BUT are you sure it isn't broken. phantom 5V? that's not phantom power, that's "ghost power" lol
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

the phantom power gives you only 5v, the inherent snoise it has it very, very loud
How do you measure it? If it is real, then it isn't surprising it is noisy as your mic isn't getting enough feed.
kokoshmusun
Established Member

Post by kokoshmusun »

I've been playing around with Puredyne, based on Debian/Ubuntu. It looks pretty good, check it out.
The alsa project website has a list of compatible audio interfaces. Unfortunately, I had bought mine before converting to linux, and found out that it wasn't supported. For my desktop, I found that the ESI Jula card is a good choice. It's explicitly linux-compatible, and people are happy with this card overall.

For the laptop, I don't know either. I want to create a live setup with the laptop, and trying to be a minimalist, I'm wondering if I could do WITHOUT an audio interface. If not, I'm thinking about the Novation Xio Synth, which would also give me a MIDI keyboard. It seems it would work with Linux (except maybe the automatic mapping of the knobs on the keyboard).
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

I don't know that one, BUT are you sure it isn't broken. phantom 5V? that's not phantom power, that's "ghost power" lol
I suppose it broke right after the guarantee expired because it used to be just fine. SO I'm stuck with it until I get some cash. BTW, ghost power, that's hilarious!
How do you measure it? If it is real, then it isn't surprising it is noisy as your mic isn't getting enough feed.
I measure it with a regular voltage tester. The noise is on the output of any channel, I do not use condenser mics on it because they won't run, 5V won't even turn the indicating LED on the mic. I bought a studio condenser that'¡s just lying on my desk useless. I'm going to buy a cheap Behringer Phantom Power box to use it.