Debian 11 Bullseye QTractor won't start [solved]

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Debian 11 Bullseye QTractor won't start [solved]

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I recently installed Debian 11 Bullseye and I want to use Qtractor. When I try to run it I get the error:

Code: Select all

qtractor: error while loading while loading shared libraries: libQt5Core.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I do have said library on my system. So I think that Qtractor is looking for it in the wrong location for it. How do I solve this?

Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunrat
Established Member

Re: Debian 11 Bullseye QTractor won't start

Post by sunrat »

Qtractor works fine here in Bullseye. Lib is at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5

What version of Qtractor are you using? Here is the latest Version: 0.9.29.22 from the rncbc PPA repo. The bionic and focal PPA repos work fine on Bullseye here. The jammy one will not work as Ubuntu decided to use zstd compression for their .debs from this version and zstd is not supported by Debian's dpkg currently.
The Qtractor version in the Debian Bullseye repo is somewhat old - qtractor/stable 0.9.20-1 amd64

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Try the app image - I'm using it because I don't want to be forced to install JACK :p

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sunrat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:19 pm

Qtractor works fine here in Bullseye. Lib is at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5

What version of Qtractor are you using? Here is the latest Version: 0.9.29.22 from the rncbc PPA repo. The bionic and focal PPA repos work fine on Bullseye here. The jammy one will not work as Ubuntu decided to use zstd compression for their .debs from this version and zstd is not supported by Debian's dpkg currently.
The Qtractor version in the Debian Bullseye repo is somewhat old - qtractor/stable 0.9.20-1 amd64

I'm using the Qtractor version 0.9.20 which is in the standard Debian repo. That way I can easily upgrade my distro in the future.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:52 am
sunrat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:19 pm

I'm using the Qtractor version 0.9.20 which is in the standard Debian repo. That way I can easily upgrade my distro in the future.

It's pretty easy to add the rncbc repo. I explained it in my Bullseye guide. Scroll down to "rnbc repo (latest Qtractor etc.)" -
viewtopic.php?t=22793
apt-key still works in Bullseye, not deprecated yet so ignore the message.
If you have the repo in your sources it will upgrade packages with normal upgrade along with Debian package upgrades. Appimage will not do that. Rui upgrades often.

I haven't edited that howto for a while. The warnings about KX not being updated are now partly inaccurate as some work has been resumed on that from what I hear.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

I was running Debian Bullseye on a Chromebook via Crouton. Installed Debian Buster. Same error w/ Qtractor. Qtractor runs fine in Buster on my other computer. So I guess it's Crouton that might have botched Debian... I've got many problems w/ the "all new and improved" Crouton. Gonna ditch my old Chr.b. now. What a SnAFU. Never buy a Chr.b. to run Linux. Used to work just fine, but not anymore.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Solution:

Code: Select all

sudo strip --remove-section=.note.ABI-tag /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:47 pm

Never buy a Chr.b. to run Linux.

I second this. When I see comments online that Chromebooks make great Linux laptops, I assume the posters have never actually tried to run a full-fledged Linux desktop on a Chromebook. The Linux functionality built into ChromeOS only incorporates some command line tools. Crouton is barely usable for pro audio applications, and overall performance is not particularly good even if you install a Linux distribution on the internal drive, which isn't possible on most newer model Chromebooks. There are reasons the developers for GalliumOS and MrChromebox have essentially thrown in the towel and recommend against using a Chromebook as a Linux machine, especially if it was released in 2017 or later. It is a pretty terrible experience compared to just about any other PC laptop.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

GuntherT wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:03 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:47 pm

Never buy a Chr.b. to run Linux.

I second this. When I see comments online that Chromebooks make great Linux laptops, I assume the posters have never actually tried to run a full-fledged Linux desktop on a Chromebook. The Linux functionality built into ChromeOS only incorporates some command line tools. Crouton is barely usable for pro audio applications, and overall performance is not particularly good even if you install a Linux distribution on the internal drive, which isn't possible on most newer model Chromebooks. There are reasons the developers for GalliumOS and MrChromebox have essentially thrown in the towel and recommend against using a Chromebook as a Linux machine, especially if it was released in 2017 or later. It is a pretty terrible experience compared to just about any other PC laptop.

[off topic] As of now the biggest problem is that Crouton's Linux runs in a chroot. And the utility to control systemd, systemctl, will NOT run in a chroot. We know that every service in Debian must be started or managed with systemctl. And the only recent Linux distro's that will work in Crouton are Debian distro's. It's neigh near impossible to workaround the systemctl problem because literally every howto or tutorial on the internet tells us to start/stop services with systemctl.

And nobody knows for how long Crouton will be "updated". Literally every Ubuntu distro after 2015 isn't supported anymore.

Sharing files with samba is also a problem because the ChromeOS Linux kernel seems to be compiled without the module needed to share your files with a Windows user. Google's official Chromebook advice is to let Windows users place files on your Google drive. Pfffff. With the proper Chrome addon you can "see" Windows shares though, but all your colleagues w/ a Windows computer have to jump through hoops to share a file with you. And they won't, trust me.

However, it's the only "Linux laptop" that I can afford. It boots lightning fast and has 8 hour battery time. That last thing is the most important to me for laptops. And on my desktop PC I had to reinvent the wheel too when I upgraded my distro. Linux seems to change every month and I'm getting pretty fed up with that. Oh, well... :roll:

Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Re: Debian 11 Bullseye QTractor won't start [solved]

Post by Audiojunkie »

I haven't personally tried this, but in theory it looks like it should work. Try using Distrobox with the distro (that supports systemd) of choice. Tune the OS for low latency and tune your main distro for low latency. From everything I've read, distrobox is quite seamless and works well with low latency. That may be a way around your systemd problem. :)

Edit: For a less seamless method, you could also try KVM/QEMU/Virt Manager with passthrough.

mrz80
Established Member

Post by mrz80 »

"Never buy a chromebook to run linux" might be overstating things. I've been running bare-metal installs of Ubuntu Studio on my comparatively ancient Acer C720 (a $25 hamfest score :) ) for a couple of years with no problems beyond my usual laptop complaint of "never enough USB ports!". It's no speed demon, but it'll run Rosegarden and a couple plugins without glitching the audio. I'm prob. going to pick up another, larger-screened chromebook to use as a Carla VST host for my SY-1000 to drive via MIDI.

Network geek with a strong predilection for turning every scrap of wood into Telecasters and Les Pauls
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

@ Linuxmusician01
Have you tried devuan? (debian without systemd). All my machines run that without problems.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

folderol wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:45 am

@ Linuxmusician01
Have you tried devuan? (debian without systemd). All my machines run that without problems.

Unfortunately you cannot choose which Linux distro to run via Crouton yourself. They offer a few, dunno if Devuan is in there. The orig. developer of Crouton stopped developing. Dunno exactly who supports it nowadays. But I consider Crouton to be a dying/dead project. It's a pity that the "official" way to run Linux on a Chromebook still does not allow you to external hardware like an audio device. Crouton was better.