Sampler that plays the whole sound

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

alex.cherg
Established Member

Sampler that plays the whole sound

Post by alex.cherg »

Hello LinuxMusicians,

I am a new to music production and I want to use only FOSS software to make music :D
My midi controller (Nektar Impact LX61+) has a set of 8 pads that ideally I want to use for percussive/drum sounds.

I found the sampler Fabla (http://openavproductions.com/fabla/) that allows to map those pads to different raw audio sounds (e.g. .wav). The interface is really intuitive and simple. However, something I found weird is that once I stop pressing the pad (i.e. when a MIDI key off signal is sent) the sound stops. This is very counter-intuitive for percussive instruments and I would ideally want to turn off this and either (1) let the sound play till the end or (2) use some decay, where I can set the length of the decay. An example of a nice sampler plugin is AVLDrums (https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-avldrums), which ignores the MIDI key off signal and lets the sound play in whole. However, in AVLDrums the sounds are set and it is not customizable.

Could you please help me either (1) make Fabla ignore the MIDI key off signal, or (2) point me to another sampler plugin with which I can map different sounds to my pads without being interrupted by the MIDI key off signal (bonus points if the plugin is as intuitive as Fabla :D )?

Thanks for the help!

DAW: Ardour
Plugins: Vitalium
MIDI Controller: M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini and Akai APC key 25
Mic: Audio Technica AT2020
Audio interface: Presonus Studio 24c

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Sampler that plays the whole sound

Post by Impostor »

SimpleDrums offers a note-off ignore toggle. It's simple though. It seems weird that a modern sampler plugin wouldn't offer the same function.

DrMr sampler is another one with note-off ignore.

Also:

viewtopic.php?p=125038
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Already discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=22224

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

alex.cherg
Established Member

Post by alex.cherg »

Thanks all for the helpful replies :D I think for now I will go with drumkv1, since it seems to do the job quite well. It is also very customizable at first look.

Impostor, LAM, thanks for linking the relevant thread!
Impostor wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:39 pm DrMr sampler is another one with note-off ignore.
This one does seem pretty cool for an entry-level drum sampler, since it comes with a bunch of presets, nice!
artix_linux_user wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:14 pm I forgot allready but I think sfz files generally allow you to configure this behaviour.
Having said this, I find it very very very usefull if the drum sound stops when playing another one, otherwise, you will get distortions when playing fast drum sounds.
I haven't used .sfz files, I need to research those. Anyway, I see your point that with fast drums many samples get overlaid one on top of another, which could go wrong. Cool song!

DAW: Ardour
Plugins: Vitalium
MIDI Controller: M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini and Akai APC key 25
Mic: Audio Technica AT2020
Audio interface: Presonus Studio 24c

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

artix_linux_user wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:14 pm I forgot allready but I think sfz files generally allow you to configure this behaviour.
I came here to say this. SFZ files aren't too hard to write for simple uses. You can use the following to prevent a sound from being cut due to a midi note off event:

Code: Select all

loop_mode=one_shot
artix_linux_user wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:14 pm Having said this, I find it very very very usefull if the drum sound stops when playing another one, otherwise, you will get distortions when playing fast drum sounds.
You can set up a maximum number of samples to be played at the same time for a given piece of your percussion kit:

Code: Select all

polyphony=3
Additionally there are ways to set up choke groups for things like hi hat in which specific midi events should silence samples from other midi notes.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Michael Willis wrote: You can set up a maximum number of samples to be played at the same time for a given piece of your percussion kit:
polyphony=3
Just be aware the the polyphony setting was not originally an SFZ feature. It was added later by the guy who makes Sforzando. So, there are sfz players that don't implement this.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.