Setting and driving with higher sample rate for Roland UA-55 aka QUADCAPTURE

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

DisasterArea
Established Member

Setting and driving with higher sample rate for Roland UA-55 aka QUADCAPTURE

Post by DisasterArea »

Hello,

hopefully I get help here and can also assist in fixing and testing the Roland UA-55 aka QUADCAPTURE device.

I run Linux since years and I'm glad that many hardware is supported now. Also many people say that the support for older devices is better with Linux than with other systems. May be?

As a musician and also as an high fidelity user I was glad to find this Roland device on a used market but was surprised, that it is not really supported on Linux. Here on LinuxMusicians you can find a main discussion that is some (a lot) of years old and there seems to be nobody at the moment who tries to support this device better than years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10435

But to my surprise, last year there has been a fix in a special use case of some Roland devices, also for the UA-55. See this link:

https://mailman.alsa-project.org/piperm ... 82929.html

But still it seams, that based on an old commit of Clemens Ladisch on June,27th, 2013 in quirks-table.h this device is limited to 44.1 kHz. See https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/ ... le.h#L1623

The commit message was

The Roland Quad/Octo-Capture devices use some unknown vendor-specific
mechanism to switch sample rates (and to manage other controls). To
prevent the driver from attempting to use any other than the default
44.1 kHz sample rate, use quirks to hide the other alternate settings.

But that's really a shame, because the device can support up to 192 kHz and is the only one I know in this pricing that also has Ground Lift feature.

I have written an email to Clemens but did not get any response jet and at the moment I think this forum is a better place for my problem. But Clemens might remember more details about the core problem. Also it might be that Roland itself now gives technical documentation to us because they do not sell this device any more.

So is there a chance to get help here from some developers?

Regards

Frank
Ubuntu Studio 22.04, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, NI Komplete Audio 6, Acoustic and E-Guitar, E-Bass, Modular Synth (Cardinal) KORG Nano Control Studio, Novation Launchkey 25