QTractor & audio of... MIDI

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

touchstyle
Established Member

QTractor & audio of... MIDI

Post by touchstyle »

I have a question / curiosity about the support MIDI Qtractor.

So, I imported from the "Instrument" the soundfont "Unison.sf2", then I created the MIDI track by selecting "Channel 1 - Unison", and choosing a "program" any.
The midi-track is created correctly, but when I go to play it I do not hear sound, and I only see the vu-meter MIDI active.
If I load and plug Qsynth it work properly: I can hear the audio soundfonts.

I come to the question: I can "play" the MIDI Qtractor without load Qsynth?

Thanks in advance,
Dedenis AKA Touchstyle
Site : http://www.touchstyle.it
EMail : touchstyle (at) gmail (dot) com
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Re: QTractor & audio of... MIDI

Post by Scary Hallo »

QTractor has no buid in soundgenerator. afaik
You need QSynth, Yoshimi or an other virtual keyboard.
touchstyle
Established Member

Post by touchstyle »

This is probably true.
It would be useful, however, that QSynth built in QTractor as they are written by the same author...
I will try to suggest this to Rui Nuno Capela.

Thanks,
Dedenis AKA Touchstyle
Site : http://www.touchstyle.it
EMail : touchstyle (at) gmail (dot) com
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

touchstyle wrote:This is probably true.
It would be useful, however, that QSynth built in QTractor as they are written by the same author...
I will try to suggest this to Rui Nuno Capela.

Thanks,
I would say that Rui is against the idea of making an all-in-one software but asking for it don't hurt, right?
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

I come to the question: I can "play" the MIDI Qtractor without load Qsynth?
Yes you can. You have to load an instrument plugin, for example, a dssi plugin. And there is, between others, fluidsynth-dssi, which is another front-end for fluidsynth but as a dssi plugin, in which you can load soundfonts. There are other dssi instruments and other plugin standards apart from dssi.

Cheers! Pablo
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

maghoxfr wrote:I would say that Rui is against the idea of making an all-in-one software but asking for it don't hurt, right?
And then there's the fact that Qsynth is quite an old creature. i wouldn't be surprised if Rui would stop maintaining it altogether.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

then why apps like Qtractor and Rosegarden let's you think you're loading and instrument, in fact, let's you load the sf2(qtractor) and it's of no use?
Also, Qsynth is old but it does more than other fluidsynth frontends. All the others I've tried I can't change the samplerate of the soundfont.. Only Qsynth let's you....
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

then why apps like Qtractor and Rosegarden let's you think you're loading and instrument, in fact, let's you load the sf2(qtractor) and it's of no use?
qtractor doesn't load the sf2 per se, but it scans the instrument names listing for your convenience when selecting which bank or program-change you wish to assign to a midi track/channel. that is, it's a helper for you select instrument names in human readable form, just that--you'll have to load the sf2 for real on external stand-alone qsynth/fluidsynth or fluidsynth-dssi plugin.

as said, qtractor does not provide any synth engine ootb. you'll have to render your midi on proper means: a stand-alone soft-synth, on external outboard gear/sound-module or an instrument plugin (dssi, vsti and/or some lv2). qtractor is a sequencer. it is not an all-in-one-music-studio and probably never will ;)
Also, Qsynth is old but it does more than other fluidsynth frontends. All the others I've tried I can't change the samplerate of the soundfont.. Only Qsynth let's you....
if you use fluidsynth-dssi or any other instrument plugin for that matter you won't bother with sample-rates anymore :)

cheers
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

if you use fluidsynth-dssi or any other instrument plugin for that matter you won't bother with sample-rates anymore
I will try fluidsynth-dssi later but Rui, I've recorded bass tracks with all the others fluidsynth frontend to then pick up my guitar and fine out the track is out of tune.

I would then load Qsynth and feed the midi bass track through it and it's in tune.... Just happened last week with Calf FluidSynth in Qtractor.

thanx man. :D
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

funkmuscle wrote:I will try fluidsynth-dssi later but Rui, I've recorded bass tracks with all the others fluidsynth frontend to then pick up my guitar and fine out the track is out of tune.
Strange, I was just noticing the out-of-tune problem the other day.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

and I was able to duplicate the out of tune on Qsynth by changing the samplerate to 44100. My system is 48000.
most .sf2 are 44100. So Qsynth gives me that option to change the samplerate...

I love Qsynth...
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Qsynth gives me that option to change the samplerate...
so does fluidsynth (the command line front-end) provided you feed it with the magic spell:

Code: Select all

fluidsynth -o synth.sample-rate=48000 ...
well, all this may sound stupid... how come fluidsynth doesn't pick the correct sample-rate from master jack ? it's a way too old of an issue on fluidsynth(.org)--it may well be one of the oldest tickets on its bug-tracker. alas (my) memory might fail ;)

cheers
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

will give feedback when I test it from home for ya but your QSynth rock Rui... :D
will you replace it with something or build it into Qtractor??? I heard you may not want that...
CODE: SELECT ALL
fluidsynth -o synth.sample-rate=48000 ...
I need to do that at the commandline where as in Qsynth I don't... again, I will try the other apps tonight from home.

Thanx.