Happy Desktop Screenshots

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tapenade
Established Member

Happy Desktop Screenshots

Post by tapenade »

If you're happy with your desktop environment or whatnot, show us what you got if you feel like it.

I am really happy with the window design. It reminds me of monochrome Apple Macintosh Mac SE interface from the early 1990s.
I just got this set up yesterday. I'm running PCmanFM and Thunar side by side, I forget which this is on screen. It seems to respond to the custom icon themes AND and window styles differently.

I can't work that well with a distracting background, so the background defaults to just black. Also the darkness is nicer to the battery.
$ totally bogus bullsh*t > /dev/null
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Happy Desktop Screenshots

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Cool mix of modern panel and retro OS tapenade!

Here's a screenie from my current development system that is a real mutt of Debian+MX+XFCE4+Openbox+zzzFM File Manager. I'm not an idolizer of people but John Fogerty has been a constant fave and a real musical influence so I've been running an Adwaita-based theme and using these 2 wallpapers for about a month now. I dug up an old Spotify Conky from github and modded it a bit to get my Playlists displaying on my Desktop..

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Default desktop openSUSE Tumbleweed. (KDE)

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

I have never understood too much why tune desktop look nor why to share screenshots of it. I've been working with 2-3 monitor setup since 1999, and have to say ocassions when my background is visible are rare :-) Have multiple virtual desktops, and most of them are full of windows. And using AwesomeWM as window manager, so in most desktops there is automatic layout which scales windows to fill screen, regardless number of windows.

Sure, I am not too much focused on look of my setup. My selection of colors tend to be focused on clarity, no slight hints 'this is active' but clear color change.

Anyway, not meaning to blame anybody, just throwing my 5 eurocents.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tavasti wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:30 am I have never understood too much why tune desktop look nor why to share screenshots of it. I've been working with 2-3 monitor setup since 1999, and have to say ocassions when my background is visible are rare :-) Have multiple virtual desktops, and most of them are full of windows. And using AwesomeWM as window manager, so in most desktops there is automatic layout which scales windows to fill screen, regardless number of windows.

Sure, I am not too much focused on look of my setup. My selection of colors tend to be focused on clarity, no slight hints 'this is active' but clear color change.

Anyway, not meaning to blame anybody, just throwing my 5 eurocents.
I understand your point, but then why do some people buy white cars and others prefer colorful ones, why do some people have a minimalistic house with just what is needed and others have memorabilia and pictures and houseplants everywhere? I agree with you to a point that using a computer should be focused on the applications and if the required elements are there (ie a panel, a menu, a systray) why is it so important for it to be a specific 'environment' but I also believe there is some artistic craft and therefore an interesting set of ideas to how people set up their workspace and why it differs. It's like movies.. some people just want to watch and experience the movie itself and others want to see the 'extra features' and how the movie was made and the methodology involved.

For some putting together the aesthetic of the workspace is also a form of creative expression like producing a Song or Video. In my OS I have hours of editing, creating or enhancing the backgrounds and I usually modify or create my own GTK and WM themes and the Conkies... It's creative exercise too.. :wink:
Last edited by GMaq on Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@Gps

I like that background! Lol, I'm not an 'icons on the Desktop' person but I understand the rationale behind having them but the random order and placement of them giving me an OCD eye twitch.. :lol:
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

GMaq wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:33 pm @Gps

I like that background! Lol, I'm not an 'icons on the Desktop' person but I understand the rationale behind having them but the random order and placement of them giving me an OCD eye twitch.. :lol:
:lol:

Well from day one after installing tumbleweed, I have been wondering why there is part of a CAD drawing on my desktop.
At first I did not even recognize it, but one day I was like, wait a minute that's a cad drawing.
(with a Gecko and tumbleweed logo in it)

There is even some logic to it. You tube links grouped together, txt files (one for my mouse) grouped together, then the starter icon of programs together. :mrgreen:

Can't say I really like that background, but as you probably already guessed, I don't think its important.
Been wondering to go back to the background I was using before though. I love that making fun of a windows desktop.
I do use that pic on my soundcloud profile.

https://www.teahub.io/viewwp/bJxxJm_fly ... tux-linux/

Might have found an even better one :P
I am tempted, and never said I was mature. :wink:
https://www.teahub.io/viewwp/iiRRoTR_me ... -the-rest/
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

My XFCE4 desktop is plain black. As a free musician, such a wallpaper Image or Imagewould probably make sense? ;-)
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
tapenade
Established Member

How to ("RECORD DESKTOP AUDIO ONLY") in Linux

Post by tapenade »

Thanks for the really nice replies. It's nice to be able to admire somebody else's handiwork.
By the way, if anybody needs to record desktop audio ONLY, without recording the visuals, I saw a YouTuber do it once.
He used FFMPEG(!) which is awesome in terms of both power and simplicity and availability.

Here's one of those "web solutions" pages which possibly reveals how to do it:

https://www.internalpointers.com/post/r ... mpeg-linux

Also these:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/198 ... g-on-linux
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AudioCapture
https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/DeviceNames
$ totally bogus bullsh*t > /dev/null
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Changed my desktop to the one I was using before.

Eli
Established Member

Post by Eli »

Retro
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-09-22_16-17-40.png
Screenshot_2022-09-22_16-17-40.png (222.59 KiB) Viewed 3286 times
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I am getting a UNIX flashback from that desktop. 8)

At work, CAD 400 on Unix. (No idea which one)
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Debian Sid + i3wm + self made: i3wm theme, terminal theme, svg background, gtk theme (based on Oomox), Ardour theme, etc. 8)

in mix, nobody can hear your screen