What notation editor do you use and why?

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nils
Established Member

Re: What notation editor do you use and why?

Post by nils »

merlyn wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:28 am It's free and open source. Could be forked (ask nils to add it to the list :D).
I shall call it "Newscore"
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

nils wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:45 pm
merlyn wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:28 am It's free and open source. Could be forked (ask nils to add it to the list :D).
I shall call it "Newscore"
You could call it "BackingBand 2".....
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

@merlyn & @Largos: thanks for the info on the way Musescore has changed and steered towards pushing you towards their website thingies.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

@GMaq & @j_e_f_f_g: About the SnAFU with AppImage, Snap and Flatpack. I do not have a clear picture about what those exactly are and what the difference is between 'm. A separate topic might be handy. It's more a general Linux topic than a Music topic, but I don't visit general Linux forum that often anymore...

[off topic] What @GMaq said about Appimage is very usefull info for me. I really must try to get rid of the automatically installed Snap shite on my system... :roll:
Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

Laborejo does look like a very nice tool.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Kirtai wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:53 pm Laborejo does look like a very nice tool.
I hope so, but don't get your hopes up please. It is just a hobby, won't be big and professional like musescore.
Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

nils wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:56 pm I hope so, but don't get your hopes up please. It is just a hobby, won't be big and professional like musescore.
I seem to have heard something like that before :lol:
Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

GMaq wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:39 pm The ONLY hope of unifying is/was a simple Distro-agnostic Linux-wide binary format... they had it with AppImage and now that is all f**ked up too.
It's a pity that most appimages don't actually contain everything they need. A particular issue is musl based systems. Also, if you want AppImages to appear in things like program launchers you do need to do some integration.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Kirtai wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:52 am
GMaq wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:39 pm The ONLY hope of unifying is/was a simple Distro-agnostic Linux-wide binary format... they had it with AppImage and now that is all f**ked up too.
It's a pity that most appimages don't actually contain everything they need. A particular issue is musl based systems. Also, if you want AppImages to appear in things like program launchers you do need to do some integration.
There are also huge problems with Flatpaks not being able to use system-wide Audio Plugins. what's the point? In my experience Qtractor, MusE, Cinelerra-GG, Kdenlive, AviDemux, MuseScore AppImages have all functioned perfectly

I'm sure with some timely reports to the AppImage builders and if it is a systemic problem to the AppImage developers most of the ones that don't work could be fixed and some sort of launcher setup could be integrated. All of these formats have issues... the answer is not to create another format, it is to improve the best one, for my money a self contained executable binary that can be removed with a simple delete from any file manager and not spread it's guts through the filesystem is the common sense format to support.. If you have an Image that doesn't work then send the devs a bug report!
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

nils wrote: I am still working on Laborejo
That reminds me. nils, you project-forking, demon-summoning, cauldron stirring, satanic spawn, where is that binary you said was available?

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Aleks
Established Member

Post by Aleks »

I tried MuseScore 4, it's nice, but I would say it's not quite what the folks on their forum announced it will become, i.e. a full-fledged DAW+notation program. As of now, the Muse Sounds suite is not complete. If, say, you want to use an acoustic bass or a drum set, the sounds used are from the standard MuseScore font. There is no SZF support, as you know, no LV2, I haven't tried if Linux vst plugins work. In the new version, the piano roll editor is also gone, or at least I couldn't find it. Also, it did not integrate well with my Unity desktop. For what I used to use MuseScore, i.e. for music ideas, composition, transcribing, even MIDI arranging, I prefer MS3. I could also use Frescobaldi for that, in combination with QSynth as a MIDI backend, but still, MuseScore is more convenient with notes preview (or pre-listen, eh...), looping and all that.

For engraving, that is, for music that's supposed to be printed, I still prefer Lilypond. Another program I've been playing lately with is MUP. I'd say it's a lot simpler to use than Lilypond and the output is nice and clean. But Lilypond is more flexible in terms of using various text and music fonts, for example jazz fonts.

diedeno
Established Member

Post by diedeno »

VST does nor work in Musescore 4.0 for Linux (promised for 4.1, whenever that may be)
The new muse-hub service, needed to download the new Muse Sounds orchestral library, uses torrent protocol, and insists to run as root!

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

diedeno wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:46 am

The new muse-hub service, needed to download the new Muse Sounds orchestral library, uses torrent protocol, and insists to run as root!

And is proprietary. Let's wait for native VST3 support.

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
miuzik
Established Member

Post by miuzik »

Aleks wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:02 pm

For engraving, that is, for music that's supposed to be printed, I still prefer Lilypond. Another program I've been playing lately with is MUP. I'd say it's a lot simpler to use than Lilypond and the output is nice and clean. But Lilypond is more flexible in terms of using various text and music fonts, for example jazz fonts.

What does mean MUP?