(Semi) automatic MIDI and audio recorders?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Kirtai
Established Member

(Semi) automatic MIDI and audio recorders?

Post by Kirtai »

Hi,
I was wondering if there are any simple semi-automatic recorders available for Linux.

For MIDI, one that listens for MIDI, records it to a timestamped file and closes the file after X seconds of silence.

For audio, something that buffers audio then can be told to save the last X seconds to a file and keep recording when I play something good.

I see that Pianoteq can do the former but that seems like massive overkill.
For the latter, I expect that I'm just not using the right search terms.

Thanks.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: (Semi) automatic MIDI and audio recorders?

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Kirtai wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:06 pm something that buffers audio then can be told to save the last X seconds to a file
The easiest utility to do something similiar to that is QRecord (I think it's from Rui, the qtractor guy). You can set it to automatically start recording when you start playing (ie, detects incoming audio), and each time you click on the stop button, it will save the recording to a unique file name. (So you will have a collection of "takes" you can review).
keep recording when I play something good.
QRecord isn't a smart enough AI to judge whether you're playing something good. To be fair, judging from the biggest sellers on spotify, most humans don't have to ability to discern good music either.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:53 pmI think it's from Rui, the qtractor guy
were it made from me it surely would be the dumbest piece of s/w around

what the OP is probably asking is Steve Harri's timemachine (for audio; don't know nothing of the sort for MIDI); see also jack_capture it has a timemachine-like mode.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

There's this utility, but I haven't used it, so I can't vouch for its ability to do what the OP wants.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/jack-smf-utils/

Kirtai
Established Member

Post by Kirtai »

I can't find QRecord but jack_capture and timemachine look good for what I want audio-wise.

After I posted I found Brainstorm which seems to be what I want for MIDI.

Thanks for the help. :)
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

rncbc wrote: were it made from me
Oh. I just assumed you made it because it's an audio app that uses QT toolkit, and whose name starts with a capital Q instead of a small k.

Whenever I see a capital Q, I mentally associate it with either you, or that guy from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

P.S. to the original poster:
I'm in the USA, and right now I'm hiding under my desk. In the future, I'd appreciate it if you refrained from posting the phrase "semi automatic".

P.S. to everyone else: Yes, I know. Too soon and way too tactless. Don't bother scolding me. You should know by now that the extra attention just makes me worse.

Natelok
Established Member

Post by Natelok »

I'm sure someone linked to http://www.sreal.com/~div/midi-utilities/ but I can't find any reference to it. Anyway, I downloaded the source but I can't get it to compile. It's too late to keep trying now, but if anyone has an answer to the following error message for this

Code: Select all

blerk@phobos:~/Dev/divs-midi-utilities/src$ make -f Makefile.unix
cd align-clicks && make -f Makefile.unix
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/nate/Dev/divs-midi-utilities/src/align-clicks'
gcc -o../../bin/align-clicks align-clicks.o midifile.o
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file ../../bin/align-clicks: No such file or directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [Makefile.unix:5: ../../bin/align-clicks] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/nate/Dev/divs-midi-utilities/src/align-clicks'
make: *** [Makefile.unix:3: all] Error 2
I really want to use the Brainstorm thingy.

Edit - can't even build just brainstorm with or without sudo

nate@phobos:~/Dev/divs-midi-utilities/src/brainstorm$ make -f Makefile.unix 
gcc -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -DRTMIDI_DO_NOT_ENSURE_UNIQUE_PORTNAMES -I../midifile -I../midiutil -I../3rdparty/rtmidi -c brainstorm.c
gcc -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -DRTMIDI_DO_NOT_ENSURE_UNIQUE_PORTNAMES -I../midifile -c ../midifile/midifile.c
gcc -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -DRTMIDI_DO_NOT_ENSURE_UNIQUE_PORTNAMES -I../midiutil -c ../midiutil/midiutil-common.c
gcc -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -DRTMIDI_DO_NOT_ENSURE_UNIQUE_PORTNAMES -I../midiutil -c ../midiutil/midiutil-system.c
gcc -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -DRTMIDI_DO_NOT_ENSURE_UNIQUE_PORTNAMES -I../3rdparty/rtmidi -I../midiutil -c ../midiutil/midiutil-rtmidi.c
g++ -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -DRTMIDI_DO_NOT_ENSURE_UNIQUE_PORTNAMES -I../3rdparty/rtmidi -c ../3rdparty/rtmidi/RtMidi.cpp
g++ -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -DRTMIDI_DO_NOT_ENSURE_UNIQUE_PORTNAMES -I../3rdparty/rtmidi -c ../3rdparty/rtmidi/rtmidi_c.cpp
gcc  -o ../../bin/brainstorm brainstorm.o midifile.o midiutil-common.o midiutil-system.o midiutil-rtmidi.o RtMidi.o rtmidi_c.o -lasound -lpthread -lstdc++
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file ../../bin/brainstorm: No such file or directory
make: *** [Makefile.unix:17: ../../bin/brainstorm] Error 1
To tired to keep messing with it tonight, I will do some reading tomorrow and see if I can get it to go vroom. Yes I have qt, rtmidi and wxwidgets libs installed.
Nate!

Music Nerd, Guitarist, Fixer of Things, DJ, currently employed by Donnybrook Balingup Community Radio (Station Manager & Drive Time DJ, Recording Engineer for a small attached studio for local artists)

DAW: Mixbus at home, Mixbus32C at work
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Natelok wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:57 pm I'm sure someone linked to http://www.sreal.com/~div/midi-utilities/ but I can't find any reference to it. Anyway, I downloaded the source but I can't get it to compile. It's too late to keep trying now, but if anyone has an answer to the following error message for this

blerk@phobos:~/Dev/divs-midi-utilities/src$ make -f Makefile.unix
cd align-clicks && make -f Makefile.unix
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/nate/Dev/divs-midi-utilities/src/align-clicks'
gcc -o../../bin/align-clicks align-clicks.o midifile.o
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file ../../bin/align-clicks: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [Makefile.unix:5: ../../bin/align-clicks] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/nate/Dev/divs-midi-utilities/src/align-clicks'
make: *** [Makefile.unix:3: all] Error 2
Is it just so plain stupid makefile that does not make that directory? So if you would

mkdir /home/nate/Dev/divs-midi-utilities/bin
and try again?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Natelok
Established Member

Post by Natelok »

tavasti wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:17 pm Is it just so plain stupid makefile that does not make that directory? So if you would

mkdir /home/nate/Dev/divs-midi-utilities/bin
and try again?
Omg, thank you! Well, I mean, I haven't tried it yet but I bet that works. I might have figured it out eventually, but you've just saved me a day of headaches and trying to remember crap I haven't used since University 20 years ago.

Tavasti, you are a marvelous human being.

Edit yes it worked. Some of the utilities are of no use to me, and some are very confusing, but brainstorm is great.
Last edited by Natelok on Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nate!

Music Nerd, Guitarist, Fixer of Things, DJ, currently employed by Donnybrook Balingup Community Radio (Station Manager & Drive Time DJ, Recording Engineer for a small attached studio for local artists)

DAW: Mixbus at home, Mixbus32C at work
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Moderator update: this thread devolved into penis jokes and political posturing, I don't think that belongs here. Removed - please don't?