Email notifications

Check this forum for important info regarding the site.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

raboof
Established Member

Email notifications

Post by raboof »

I've received a couple of (automated) reports that notifications sent from the forum to participants with a gmail address are being classified as 'possible spam' and rejected.

I'll look into this later - hopefully I can improve something with DKIM/DMARC/SPF or similar to convince gmail we're not spammers, and/or work with our hoster.
sunrat
Established Member

Re: Email notifications

Post by sunrat »

I use gmail for here and don't think I've missed any notifications. Hardly ever get spam at that account actually, and hardly ever any false spam positives.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

As far as I can see linuxmusicians.com does not have any of these records (SPF, DKIM, DMARC). I'd start with adding a SPF record, at least, adding the correct ones for lists.linuxaudio.org recently made Google a lot happier. And maybe the reject mails provide a reason why they're rejected?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

autostatic wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:46 am As far as I can see linuxmusicians.com does not have any of these records (SPF, DKIM, DMARC). I'd start with adding a SPF record, at least, adding the correct ones for lists.linuxaudio.org recently made Google a lot happier.
Yeah that's the plan, good to hear it worked well for you

autostatic wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:46 am And maybe the reject mails provide a reason why they're rejected?
It's pretty generic:

Code: Select all

550-5.7.1 Our system has detected that this message is
550-5.7.1 likely unsolicited mail. To reduce the amount of spam sent to Gmail,
550-5.7.1 this message has been blocked. Please visit
550-5.7.1  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=UnsolicitedMessageError
550 5.7.1  for more information.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

lists.linuxaudio.org had these:

Code: Select all

host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.73.27]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    550-5.7.26 This message does not have authentication information or fails to
    550-5.7.26 pass authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam, the
    550-5.7.26 message has been blocked. 
So that differs from the linuxmusicians.com blocked mails. Gmail is not used as relay right?
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Well that explains why Michael Willis completely ignored the private message I sent him. I had assumed that he just hated me like everyone else.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

autostatic wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:32 am So that differs from the linuxmusicians.com blocked mails.
Jup - curious, since I'm pretty sure our mails don't have authentication information either :).
autostatic wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:32 am Gmail is not used as relay right?
Definitely not!
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

artix_linux_user wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:43 am well, i am probably offtopic again,....bbbbbbut, I am experiencing huge problems related to gmail logins since some days, probably a week now.
I can not use linux email client anymore to get my gmail emails
This might have to do with Google now requiring OAuth 2.0, see for example https://mastodon.online/@thunderbird/108409368383994046

artix_linux_user wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:43 am All things happening at the same time and i havent had time yet to dig deeper, but to me it seems google changed their login mechanism that seems to be used for the chromebooks, too.
maybe not related to your propblem, but the internet is full or problems with gmail now, as it seems to me.
Yeah, this *shouldn't* be directly related, but it is very possible that with the OAuth 2.0 change they also pushed out some other changes that affect incoming email. Though it seems to have reduced without me taking action so far. I'd still like to implement DKIM/DMARC/SPF though, but only so many hours in a day :D
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

@artix_linux_user I received an email from Google accounts warning of the changes on 29 April. I logged in to account settings at Google and changed something I don't recall now but Thunderbird is still working for 2 Gmail accounts using POP3. Maybe enabling "Sign in with Google"?

Contents of email from Google:
On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology
xxxxxxx@gmail.com
To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0. Learn more What do you need to do?

Email software, like Outlook 2016 or earlier, has less secure access to your Gmail. Switch to Office 365, Outlook 2019 or newer, or any other email software where you can sign in using Sign in with Google.
I'm in the process of switching all important accounts to Tutanota atm and ongoing plan to ditch Gmail as much as possible.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:35 am Well that explains why Michael Willis completely ignored the private message I sent him. I had assumed that he just hated me like everyone else.
Oof, I totally drafted a message and then must have failed to send it... and here I thought YOU were ignoring ME for the last week.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Michael Willis wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:38 am I totally drafted a message and then must have failed to send it.
You've been too preoccupied with having sax lately.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

sunrat wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:15 am I'm in the process of switching all important accounts to Tutanota atm and ongoing plan to ditch Gmail as much as possible.
Nice! I moved to https://fastmail.com a while ago. Unfortunately their servers are in the US, but at least they "aren't GAFAM" and they bill per mailbox, so having some aliases, catch-alls and secondary domains is relatively cheap.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

If necessary I could set up relaying for linuxmusicians.com on my mail server. Runs at Hetzner (Germany) and Google likes it.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

autostatic wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:12 pm If necessary I could set up relaying for linuxmusicians.com on my mail server. Runs at Hetzner (Germany) and Google likes it.
Thanks for the offer! We run at uberspace.de (also Germany) which I suspect might have a positive reputation as well. I haven't seen bounces in a while though, so perhaps it was just a temporary hiccup.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:33 am
Michael Willis wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:38 am I totally drafted a message and then must have failed to send it.
You've been too preoccupied with having sax lately.
That often results in a careless whisper.