Arturia Midi Driver - has anybody got it working in WINE? (subject amended)

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Re: Arturia Midi Driver - has anybody got it working in WINE? (subject amended)

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

Ta @scott.thomason,

I've been using Mint on and off for several years; it's one of my favourite distros.

Last summer I was in the fortunate position, for an unfortunate reason, of being able to buy a new laptop while my current one was still working rather than to replace a knackered one.

On that previous laptop I was using AVLinux for music, Mint for District/Town Councillor (local representative) and other campaigny/political/activism stuff, Zorin for personal stuff.

I rarely use a distro's software centre. In my experience things ins software centres aren't available or are out of date.

Dave Plummer/Primeval Mudd*

Ubuntu Studio | Reaper (Linux native)

Facebook | YouTube

• Should you be wondering, Primeval Mudd is an anagram of David Plummer.
mrz80
Established Member

Post by mrz80 »

So tantalizingly close, and yet still so freaking far off...

System config:
Xubuntu 22.04 with Ubuntustudio-installer - all packages and backports, liquorix kernel, wine-staging 7.10, OG Keylab49

With yabridge 3.8.1 installed, I can get Analog Lab 4 and Analog Lab 5 to run. They change patches and respond to note values, pitchbend and modulation, but none of the knobs or sliders work, and the screen doesn't update if I move anything.

Here's what I did to try to get MIDI Control Center up and going.
Generate a new, virgin 32bit wine environment:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/bhm/.wine32-arturia/ winecfg
set version to Windows 7
set Staging options to disable CSMT (which is deprecated anyhow, so no loss) and hide Wine version from applications
set a Libraries override for midimap (native,builtin)

Install MIDI Control Center in the new environment:
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/bhm/.wine32-arturia/ wine Downloads/music/arturia/MIDI_Control_Center_1_13_6_8.exe

MIDI Control Center **and the Arturia MIDI Driver** installed just fine!!! Alas, when I run MIDI Control Center it does NOT see the Keylab. Some essential layer of interactivity between WINE and the underlying USB interface is just not happening.

As a curious side note, if I load up, e.g., Cherry Audio's DCO-106 (btw, it's an AWESOME Juno emulator and worth every penny :D ) with wine, a magical entry called "WINE midi driver" shows up under the ALSA midi connections tab on QJackctl, and when the Keylab is connected to it, everything works - I can use MIDI Learn on the DCO-106 to set any of the knobs and sliders on the Keylab to perform whatever functions I see fit in the softsynth. So now my question becomes, "What is that WINE midi driver", and how can I con arbitrary programs in WINE (like MIDI Control Center, maybe?) to load it?!?!" I wonder if this is going to be a profitable avenue of investigation or if I'm still just beating my head against a brick wall.

On another irritating note, just firing up Virtualbox and starting my Win10 VM is not a workable alternative. Under 20.04 all the USB and MIDI stuff worked, and MIDI Control Center could see and configure the Keylab. Now, under 22.04, Virtualbox no longer wants to see ANY of my USB peripherals except the keyboard and mouse. No Keylab, no UM-ONE, no Akai drum pads, no printer, no nothin'. So I've got to get THAT little SNAFU figured out before I can go back and try MIDI Control Center in the VM again. (*cue Rosanne Rosannadanna* - "It's always SOMEthing"*)
Network geek with a strong predilection for turning every scrap of wood into Telecasters and Les Pauls
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

@mrz80: which Arturia Keylab do you have? I've got one of the oldest versions of the Keylab Minilab. There are 2 revisions of this keyboard (and I don't mean the Mk II version) as far as I know and one doesn't work with Linux. However, the one I have does not require a driver. It does require Arturia's software to alter settings. See my reply in this topic on May 23 2022. The software, called 'Midi Control Center.exe' looks like this:

Also see this old LM topic.
mrz80
Established Member

Post by mrz80 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:01 am @mrz80: which Arturia Keylab do you have?
I have a first generation Keylab49.
IMG_20220216_214314.640.jpg
IMG_20220216_214314.640.jpg (180.27 KiB) Viewed 7481 times
MIDI Control Center installs and runs fine. The Arturia MIDI driver installs. MIDI Control Center still doesn't talk to the Keylab, though.
Sync button is greyed out, and MIDI Control Center can't determine the Keylab's firmware rev. Communication just ain't happening. :(
Screenshot_2022-06-08_21-29-26.png.640.JPG
Screenshot_2022-06-08_21-29-26.png.640.JPG (83.61 KiB) Viewed 7479 times
Network geek with a strong predilection for turning every scrap of wood into Telecasters and Les Pauls
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

mrz80 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:25 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:01 am @mrz80: which Arturia Keylab do you have?
I have a first generation Keylab49.
IMG_20220216_214314.640.jpg

MIDI Control Center installs and runs fine. The Arturia MIDI driver installs. MIDI Control Center still doesn't talk to the Keylab, though.
Sync button is greyed out, and MIDI Control Center can't determine the Keylab's firmware rev. Communication just ain't happening. :(
Screenshot_2022-06-08_21-29-26.png.640.JPG
1. Nice keyboard!

2. I read that you created a Wine 32 bit "wine bottle" aka "wine prefix". Maybe that's the problem. Because software hasn't been strictly 32 bit for a long time. But on the other hand: it was the only way you could get the driver to install, right?

Unfortunate that the midi driver still won't work in Wine.

P.S. The ancient "WinXP" version of Midi Control Center that I use is not on Arturia's website anymore as far as I can tell. Considering that your Arturia keyboard is somewhat older would you like me to try and give you my version of said software (a single executable of only 3.3 MB)? I've no idea where I can put a file on the internet for you to download, but we'll figure that out. :)
mrz80
Established Member

Post by mrz80 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:03 am 1. Nice keyboard!
I like it, though I do have issues with the LCD being more or less unreadable unless I stand up and look straight down at it. I'm looking into replacing it with a different LCD module.
2. I read that you created a Wine 32 bit "wine bottle" aka "wine prefix". Maybe that's the problem. Because software hasn't been strictly 32 bit for a long time. But on the other hand: it was the only way you could get the driver to install, right?
That might be. I'll give it a shot installing in a virgin 64bit wine prefix and see if that makes any difference.
P.S. The ancient "WinXP" version of Midi Control Center that I use is not on Arturia's website anymore as far as I can tell. Considering that your Arturia keyboard is somewhat older would you like me to try and give you my version of said software (a single executable of only 3.3 MB)? I've no idea where I can put a file on the internet for you to download, but we'll figure that out. :)
That might be an interesting experiment. 3.3MB isn't all that big; you could just rename it to something other than .exe and email it to me. I'll PM my email addy.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

mrz80 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:14 pm That might be an interesting experiment. 3.3MB isn't all that big; you could just rename it to something other than .exe and email it to me. I'll PM my email addy.
I tried to PM you yesterday (a link to my Google Drive, gmail wouldn't let me mail the zipped executable). The PM is still in the outbox... Hmmm. Strange. I pressed "send reply" again. I don't want paste a link here in the topic. If the PM still hasn't arrived tomorrow I'll send you the link via e-mail.

We'll get there. :)
scott.thomason
Established Member

Post by scott.thomason »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:25 am I tried to PM you yesterday (a link to my Google Drive, gmail wouldn't let me mail the zipped executable).
The trick to mailing .exe's with Gmail is to use a password when you create the zip. Gmail's inspector can't do an unzip to examine the content that way.
---scott

LinkedIn
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

scott.thomason wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:49 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:25 am I tried to PM you yesterday (a link to my Google Drive, gmail wouldn't let me mail the zipped executable).
The trick to mailing .exe's with Gmail is to use a password when you create the zip. Gmail's inspector can't do an unzip to examine the content that way.
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it still wouldn't work. Gmail is too smart, ha ha. :wink:

I started a topic about my PM's not getting sent.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

mrz80 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:14 pm [...]
That might be an interesting experiment. 3.3MB isn't all that big; you could just rename it to something other than .exe and email it to me. I'll PM my email addy.
Did you receive the PM that I sent you?
mrz80
Established Member

Post by mrz80 »

Just checked, got both copies of the PM. Google Drive link didn't work, though. :(
Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

If it helps, I can upload it to my site (there's bog all else there) and PM the download link.

Facebook | YouTube

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Primeval_Mudd wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:33 pm If it helps, I can upload it to my site (there's bog all else there) and PM the download link.
I PM'd you the link too. :)
Primeval_Mudd
Established Member

Post by Primeval_Mudd »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:13 am I PM'd you the link too. :)
Hi,

Sorry for the delay replying - real life has got in the way!

I've replied to your PM.

Facebook | YouTube

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Primeval_Mudd wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:30 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:13 am I PM'd you the link too. :)
Hi,

Sorry for the delay replying - real life has got in the way!

I've replied to your PM.
And thank you for putting it on your website. :)