KXStudio 10.04.2 is out!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

TJMac
Established Member

Re: KXStudio 10.04.2 is out!

Post by TJMac »

Would it be an option to run both the USB and onboard using simultaneously in PulseAudio -> Jack? (Even though I probably would sacrifice quality doing it this way)
dewdrop_world
Established Member

Post by dewdrop_world »

falkTX wrote:
dewdrop_world wrote:Sorry for noise - it's not kxstudio specific, seems to be a still-unfixed ubuntu bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/278190
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/333730

James
There are bugs on KXStudio that I can't fix for myself...

I did fix the ati/nvidia driver installation on realtime kernels...

Anyway, maybe you should try if booting a more recent kernel fixes the issue.
There is the 2.6.33 realtime in the repos, and you get the 2.6.34-generic here:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... .34-lucid/
Maybe another time... time is short for me and it makes more sense to set up the RT kernel under standard ubuntu for now. SuperCollider is my main axe and it runs well there.

I left 60GB free on the HD so I can make another partition for KXStudio later, when I have more time.

BTW the wifi thing is not a problem in normal ubuntu 10.04.

I'm very interested in the "everything goes thru jack" approach and I wouldn't say I'm totally giving up on kxstudio - it's just at the moment, I have only limited time for fiddling about so I need (for now) to go with something that requires less fiddling.

Thanks for the work on this!
James
osterchrisi
Established Member

Post by osterchrisi »

Sorry, but I always thought it's not possible to have 64-bit Ardour with VST support?
http://zaunerelektronik.net <-- horray!
http://koma-elektronik.com <-- hot equipment for musicians and producers, handmade in berlin
sgr119
Established Member

Post by sgr119 »

Need Help!
After installing KXStudio and trying to record, I've discovered that my sound card only shows outputs on the Kmix conntrol panel, no inputs. I plugged in my mic and tried to record in Ardour but the levels were almost silent even when I screamed into it.

It's an Acer Aspire 5738PG-6306 notebook with a 64 bit processor. Sound card shows up as "HDA Intel" on one tab, and "HDA AT HDMI on the other."

I know a fair amount about configuring Linux but this has me stumped. I really want this to work, because KXStudio has everything I've been looking for.

Thanks for any help.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Maybe alsa mixed up the numbers of your cards, so what was hw:0 became hw:1 and viceversa?

Look at the output of

cat /proc/asound/cards

And in any case, double check that jack is using your usual card (hda-intel I suppose). The same for kmix.

A nice trick in jack is naming the card with its name, not its number. For example, if you use qjackctl, you can write down in the interface field:

hw:Intel

(or whatever its name is, look at the output of cat /proc/asound/cards, and note the name between square brackets) instead of hw:0 or hw:1.

Cheers! Pablo
sgr119
Established Member

Post by sgr119 »

Got that sorted out but the rocording levels are still way low even with the faders maxed out. Any suggestions>
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

are you using the "mic-in"?
what kind of mic do you use?
Perhaps the mic is damaged?
sgr119
Established Member

Post by sgr119 »

Yeah, I'm using Mic in. I tested the mic on windows and it seems to work. Not sure where to take it now. Seems weird. I can even get mic sounds out of the speakers. I may just try reinstalling the whole shebang and see what I get. Can't hurt since I have nothing on it I can't lose. And KXStudio seems right up my alley, so I'm gonna give t a fair shot.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

I wouldn't reinstall, it's very time consuming and it might not even solve your issue. What does running alsamixer in a terminal yield? Any Mic related faders that could be upped?
sgr119
Established Member

Post by sgr119 »

I reinstalled before I read that last one. Anyway, I figured it out. I had to go into KMix, find the different channels under "Configure Channels", then after fooling around with the levels a bit, I figured out that there were ones labelled "Capture" Messing with those levels worked it all out.

NOW I'M STOKED!! This distribution is the BEST.

Thanks a ton for all the hard work. Now, to record some tunes...
sgr119
Established Member

Post by sgr119 »

Actually, now I have to scale back the faders quite a bit, they're touchy. All out sweet.
sgr119
Established Member

Post by sgr119 »

Now, does anybody have a clue how to enable the touch screen?
GirSalahad
Established Member

Post by GirSalahad »

Should I wait for 'KXStudio 10.04.3' ?

10.04.2 Live is running quite fast on my system - so far everything I have tried is functional...including midi hardware w/ esi Juli@ card.

My plan is to just use KXStudio :D - upgrades are brutal sometimes tho - don't want to install .2 and have .3 visions at nite.

Thanks falkTX for this fine project you have endeavored !
asus Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 Ghz 4GB ram w/ esi Juli@ card
Raul
Established Member

Midi

Post by Raul »

Hello,
It's just because I have no sound on Rosegarden, Kmid or Kmetronome...
I'm only musician, I like linux and use it always, but I have few Knowledge on informatics. I suppose it's easy to solve but I can't.

Great job, FalkTX, on Ubuntu Studio I was going crazy with sounds!

Any help?

PD: Someone has Kxstudio on a netbook? How is it?

Thanks a lot
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Hi Raul,

Rosegarden (and the other programs you mention but I know better rosegarden) is (mainly) a midi sequencer and it does not make sounds by itself. Their midi tracks need either an external synth (which can be either hardware or software) OR an instrument plugin.

Elaborating a bit: when you launch rosegarden for the first time, If you right click on a track you have three options:

1. General MIDI Device: This is a default name and it is used for external synths. In Studio -> Manage MIDI devices you can rename it and, above all, connect it to somewhere: Either the midi connection of your sond card if you plan to use a hard synth or the input of a soft synth such as qsynth or anything else.

2. Synth plugin: This is for dssi instruments and it is the easiest way to get sound from rosegarden. Push the button "No synth" and load a dssi plugin, such as hexter or anything.

3. Audio. This is for audio tracks. Not used in your case, I think.

Cheers! Pablo