virtual Windows 10 on Linux host for composing?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

NomadJago
Established Member

virtual Windows 10 on Linux host for composing?

Post by NomadJago »

Has anybody has success composing on a virtualized Windows 10 on a Linux host? By success I mean that the audio delay is a non-issue and where the audio does not have glitch sounds. I have tried this in the past but the audio delay and glitchy audio static sounds were unacceptable. I need to be able to install, run, and upgrade VST libraries using Kontakt, Spitfireaudio's library manager, etc. I tried it all with wine but the results were just not acceptable. About the only way would be to have a virtualized Windows system, I am hoping newer faster processors might help, or maybe some special sound card, etc. I currently have a Ryzen 9 3900x cpu and 128GB RAM.
Gps
Established Member

Re: virtual Windows 10 on Linux host for composing?

Post by Gps »

Why not install windows or use a daw that supports Linux ?

I am using a VM with win10, to run a game that still uses flash and does not have a Linux version.
Although hardly noticeable, and for this game not important, there is a tad more input lag, compared to when I play this game directly on Windows.

I doubt there is a way around this.
tapenade
Established Member

Post by tapenade »

This is why we have WINE, so we don't have to run the whole Windows thing.
You might get some better answers at WINE HeadQuarters: https://winehq.org
$ totally bogus bullsh*t > /dev/null
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

NomadJago wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:46 pm Has anybody has success composing on a virtualized Windows 10 on a Linux host? By success I mean that the audio delay is a non-issue and where the audio does not have glitch sounds. I have tried this in the past but the audio delay and glitchy audio static sounds were unacceptable. I need to be able to install, run, and upgrade VST libraries using Kontakt, Spitfireaudio's library manager, etc. I tried it all with wine but the results were just not acceptable. About the only way would be to have a virtualized Windows system, I am hoping newer faster processors might help, or maybe some special sound card, etc. I currently have a Ryzen 9 3900x cpu and 128GB RAM.
For me Kontakt (Player) works ok, and some Spitfire stuff has been installed, and working ok. What has been problematic is running windows daw with wine, latencies are huge.

With VM haven't tried, I have only 24G mem, so for starting windows VM I would need to close pretty much stuff. But maybe either providing windows usb audio interface or using netjack would provide suitable audio from VM.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM