Cinematic Percussion Demo 1 using Zyn-Fusion and Dragonfly Reverb

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Re: Cinematic Percussion Demo 1 using Zyn-Fusion and Dragonfly Reverb

Post by GraysonPeddie »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:17 am Ran synaptic, removed everything related to pipewire, and now firefox sound works again.
In the future, can you please start a new thread about getting Pipewire working along with Pipewire-Pulse and Pipewire-Jack and let this topic about my demonstration continue as-is? I do not want my topic being derailed about your sound with Pipewire not working.

Thanks.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

GraysonPeddie wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:03 am
folderol wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:26 pm A bit of an aside.
I just tried using the Natural Drum Kit (not sure if it's supplied with Zyn) and just for the kick drum as an experiment set the 1st effect to Hall 2 reverb, then the second effect to Cathedral 1 reverb and on this one wound the wet/dry considerably towards wet, and also increased the reverb time. Got pretty close to what you seem to be after.
GraysonPeddie wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:30 pmI'll need more than 3+ insertion effects units per instrument though.
In other words, a single EQ for shaping the tone, a soft distortion for even more tone-shaping, and two reverb effects which in total will be 4 insertion effects. ZASF only has three per instrument/part so if I need two reverb units, I'll have to sacrifice either the EQ or the soft distortion unit. What if I need a bit of chorus? Make that 5 or how many more I wanted to shape the tone and timbre of the drum. I even might to assign effects to different layers for even more flexibility for how a cinematic percussion should sound. One feature I would like to see is the ability to change the intensity of an effect based on velocity; thus, making effects as part of an instrument as a whole.

Here is a video of what I'm talking about (11:16: Nose to Delay Time!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cFK3MApzco
OK. I think I can see where you're coming from.

However, in place of EQ why not use the filters? This can give Low Pass, High Pass, Band Pass, Band Stop Options (to say nothing of Formant)! Also, velocity sensitivity for that at least. If you're using AddSynth you effectively have 2 filters in series. One for the individual voice, and the global one.

Various Chorus modes can be easily obtained in AddSynth by enabling Unison.

Finally, the most neglected feature of all for adding character is Resonance. Hardly anyone uses it, but it's incredibly effective. I've used it to turn a meh flute-like sound into a flute :)
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

The way that Dragonfly Hall Reverb manages lows, mids, and highs isn't really EQ. It is more like having three different reverb tails with crossovers to distinguish the boundaries, and each tail is configured with its on decay time multiplier.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Michael Willis wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:06 pm The way that Dragonfly Hall Reverb manages lows, mids, and highs isn't really EQ. It is more like having three different reverb tails with crossovers to distinguish the boundaries, and each tail is configured with its on decay time multiplier.
Ah! I wasn't aware of that. Puts a while different complexion on it.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Hey, this is great! Perhaps not an exact copy of the TRON Legacy piece you referenced, but very cinematic and BIG! Impressive sound design and production work on that! It's inspiring to hear how well Yoshimi/Zyn can hold their own in modern sound.
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Isn't ZynAddSubFX awesome!? When I did some research regarding cinematic percussion sound design, I came across this YouTube video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Du-pWfHk_I

And here's a second video that I came across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CWmImkHDgs&t=890s

Seriously, you don't need to buy software synthesizers! All you need is free software such as ZASF and some free LV2 plugins such as Dragonfly Reverb and you can create as big a cinematic sound you want! Of course, for a single GUI version of ZynAddSubFX there's always Zyn-Fusion but you have to pay for it just to get it. Even on a Purism Librem 14 laptop (I have a custom-made desktop PC).

Thanks for the feedback.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Hey @GraysonPeddie , many thanks for the two videos, there are a good resource.
Coming back to ZynAddSubFX and its GUIs, have you tried Yoshimi? I have never seen its GUI, but I know that it got substantial improvements over the past years.
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Yoshimi is still multi-GUI unlike Zyn-Fusion, so other than being able to resize multiple windows, I did not see any improvements since I tried it a few months ago.
--Grayson Peddie