Plugin fuzzer (for testing, not shoegazing!)

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Plugin fuzzer (for testing, not shoegazing!)

Post by Basslint »

Note: this is not about fuzz effects (as in Big Muff) but about fuzz testing.

As a package maintainer, I am overwhelmed by the idea of making sure all plugins work after they and/or their dependencies are updated.

The plugins' own unit tests (when present, which is not often) aren't 100% reliable for testing: the plugins can always crash when loaded into a host.

Some days ago I came across a fuzzer for the Godot libre game engine (Qarminer) and that might have influenced me to come up with this idea: why not use a fuzzer for the major plugins technologies (VST, VST3 and LV2) at the very least to discover internal crashes?

After all plugins should be an ideal setting for fuzzing: they are data-oriented, they have a bunch of discoverable parameters which are supposed to be automated, they are written using 3 major standardized interfaces.

Call this a research thread, mostly to put on (totally not) paper ideas from more skilled developers than myself.
  • Are there any libre and open source plugin fuzzers around?
  • How would you go about implementing a fuzzer targeting all major plugin technologies (LV2/VST/VST3)? (I thought about leveraging carla-devel)
  • What do you think would be the most problematic aspects of implementing a fuzzer?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Plugin fuzzer (for testing, not shoegazing!)

Post by Basslint »

@Kott told me about pluginval by Tracktion. I had even opened a thread for it, which shows the pitfalls of human memory. Still, I think some technical discussions could be interesting because pluginval can't host LV2s.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

SpotlightKid wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:38 pm Are you aware of https://carlh.net/plugins/torture.php ?
I was not. It's really cool, thank You.