enhance midimap by CC to note feature

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

dingodoppelt
Established Member

enhance midimap by CC to note feature

Post by dingodoppelt »

Hi everybody,
I recently started using drumgizmo for live fingerdrumming and I'm already a convert ;) Before I was using hydrogen but found it to be overkill for just playing back a few samples.
I really like the design of drumgizmo's midimap but I was missing a feature that would map a CC number to one or more midi note numbers. I use just this for triggering a pedal hihat with my keyboard's sustain pedal. (...before using a CC to note lv2 plugin which is now obsolete)
I made a patch which adds this feature. The midimap takes a new type of entry in the form of: <CCmap cc="64" note="51"/>. You can map one CC to multiple notes if desired.
In case somebody was looking for this feature, well, it exists now :) Is there any chance this could become a pull request? Are there any contribution guidelines I should adhere to? I just know about the github side of things and couldn't really figure out the gitlab business yet.
Thanks drumgizmo, you made a fingerdrummer very happy :)
cheers, nils
tavasti
Established Member

Re: enhance midimap by CC to note feature

Post by tavasti »

dingodoppelt wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:56 am I really like the design of drumgizmo's midimap but I was missing a feature that would map a CC number to one or more midi note numbers. I use just this for triggering a pedal hihat with my keyboard's sustain pedal. (...before using a CC to note lv2 plugin which is now obsolete)
You could do that also by using qmidiroute to map that CC to note.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

dingodoppelt
Established Member

Post by dingodoppelt »

You could do that also by using qmidiroute to map that CC to note.
Yes, I know because I was using something similar (x42 MidiCCToNote) before. But since drumgizmo already features a midimap which itself could be externalized by using a plugin instead I figured being less dependent on external stuff makes life easier. Furthermore I think being able to assign midi channels could be another helpful feature of the midimap, though I can already do it externally. It simply saves time instead of having to edit more text files with every plugin you'd have to configure separately. Portability is improved as well. I could think of other things to add to the midimap like a "gain" entry making you independent of a separate mixing plugin by typing a simple number into an xml file. Drumgizmo has other features I wouldn't consider essential like the humanizer settings. I'm already human but it is there nonetheless so I think we're down that road already ;)
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

This feature has actually already been added to the develop branch already and will be part of the next release.
You will simply be able to add multiple entries with the same note to refer to multiple instruments (or even the same instrument multiple time IIRC)
dingodoppelt
Established Member

Post by dingodoppelt »

Are you sure it is in develop? Are you talking about triggering notes with CC data or just notes? Because my patch triggers samples by CC, therefore I named the new entry "CCmap" which takes a CC and a note and simply maps them. You can specify many notes with the same CC and they'll be triggered simultaneously. I don't think this feature is in develop, at least I couldn't find it.
deva
Established Member

Post by deva »

I must have been very tired when I first read the original post... sorry about that.

What I was talking about was a feature that enables a single midi note to trigger multiple instruments - so not exactly the same.
Here is the commit: http://cgit.drumgizmo.org/drumgizmo.git ... a4431b233d

If you would like your patch to be included, just send it to me by email. We don't have a pull-request system in place.
As for guidelines, we do have a style-guide: https://drumgizmo.org/wiki/doku.php?id= ... tyle_guide