Vangelis - Alpha

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Gps
Established Member

Vangelis - Alpha

Post by Gps »

After many months, I have started LMMS again a few times.

Trying to escape, lets call it that facebook discussion about a virus and a flat earth.
About the flat earth part I wonder, have those people ever been at sea ?

Stumbled on this cover I ones started, and I still can feel the pain. Looking at it with a fresh eyes now, I can see how I messed up.

I started to improvise and totally lost track on what I was doing. Then had this issue of being out of tune.

Imported a midi file which looks pretty good, and then I found one problem.
That sneaky bastard, Vangelis is using out of scale notes.

When I try to fix the midi file notes, (to be in scale) it instantly sounds less good and less like Vangelis.

Interesting. :)

Most important, I am having fun again although not really happy about how much I need that midi file.

Found by accident some drums LMMS does not have, but who are in the GM.sf2 file I am using for the midi file.
Those big orchestra ones.

I might also import the mp3 I have into the track, which I think I ripped from a Vangelis cd I have.

This time I will finish it. :)
Gps
Established Member

Re: Vangelis - Alpha

Post by Gps »

First let me wish you all a happy new year.

I am making baby steps, but steadily going forward.

My respect for Vangelis is growing. I had a few bars and thought I was done with that part, so copy pasted this a lot.

Then I noticed my version being boring, and not being always in tune with the midi file either.

The intro and main part of the track has this slight variation, which does repeat, but the part being repeated is longer then what I had at first.

I wish I had perfect pitch or at least relative pitch as good as my sense for ryhym / speed.

The midi file does an imitation of something Vangelis does ( kinda swell), but its too fast. I can hear my version is arguable being better but speed wise it is.
Might need some fine tuning on what notes I use, and maybe slow the track down in vlc, to make sure if there are 6 notes used.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

This cover attempt starts to turn into a study. :P
I am slowly starting to understand the build up though.

There is however one track in the midi file, that make me look like this. :shock: WTF?

I am way in over my head. :lol:

One thing I do miss is time stretching. If only I could import the original and then have it run in sink. (LMMS)

Something I had noticed before though, Vangelis does not play at a constant BPM :P
The first 4 count he is slower then my version (82 bpm), but after this he already is catching up and overtaking mine.
Probably totally on purpose to make the start more interesting, even if only intuitive.

There is a bass sound in the midi file I do not like at all. Should I have a look at Synth1?
I do have some banks with presets named Vangelis rmo.

RMO (thanks to a topic on the LMMS forum, not started by me) Stand for Rubidium Master Oscillator

Maybe something like this?
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articl ... enerator-1

This could explain why I don't like the bassline in the midi file.
Maybe its just too loud in the midi file, I can't hear it in the original but that does not mean its not there.
In the midi file they are 1/16 notes, which gives it a very droning sound.

Edit:
Found this vid, and there is that bassline again, but hardly audible, and at first def less notes per 4 count.
I think this version is a bit better then the midi file I have. The midi file I have is good enough though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds3TjMgVNYI
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Another small step forward.

I totally understand the midi file as in what track does what compared to the original.
Not sure I agree on all, but that is something else.
Great respect to whoever made this.

There is an interesting echo part in the midi file, were there are just a bunch of notes fading out. (declining velocity)

This might be a challenge in LMMS. I already tried all 6 or so echo plugins.

What seems to happen in the original is interesting. The echo starts panning after the last note played.
(The bell like sound .

E, E flat C sharp.

Should be possible with automation, the panning to start when at Csharp plays or maybe a bit after.

Then there are in the original quite a few synth effects, and I don't really have an idea on how to do those yet.
Might have to watch some cs80 vids :P
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Lets start positive by saying, I am further then I ever was with this cover.

Its far from finished yet, but I am not happy.

I love the start, but then the shit hits the fan at around 2min 20.

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/al ... n-progress

Questions.
Would me switching to a different DAW, make this sound better ?

Something is bothering me for years now.
I ones borrowed a Yamaha DX7, and hooked it up to an Atari ST with Cubase.

The sound of that DX7 was much better then anything I can get out of LMMS. :(

I hope people will tell me, LMMS is not the problem, and can give me idea' s on how to fix this.

I do understand the difference between that Yamaha DX7 situation and LMMS.
With the Atari ST , the computer is only a midi tracker, and the Yamaha synth makes the sound, not the Atari ST.

With LMMS my pc creates the sound. Is that causing the problem ?

Maybe I am to hard on myself ? :(
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Listening to it again today, and it does not sound that bad I think.

It might be best to continue for now and add the baas and drums. because can always change stuff later.

Can somebody comment if its still in tune at 4.10 because I think its not? Some clashing notes ?
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Going through Synth1 presets.

Schiffbauer Kujashi sound bank 1 through 5.

Very interesting Vangelis like sounds. Sundenly my track is getting this heavy epic Vangelis feel. :shock:

So my problem is in the bassline. :D

I really like the CS Brass, from Schiffbauer Kujashi 1 zip.

Instant Vangelis feel. Bring in the dancing girls.

So the type of computer music I don't like has everything to do with a lacking base sound. We need a base line, even when hardly audible.
Them being hardly audible when looking at midi files confused the hell out of me.
Now I am starting to see the light on those sub base lines. This makes all the frustration and pain worth it.

Epic Alha cover here I come.

( lets see how long it will take before I am regretting these words :P )
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

This is were I am now. Bit annoying how streamcloud changes the sound after upload.
The drums are the only part left from the midi file. Using a soundfont.

Hoping for feedback. :)

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/al ... al_sharing