Will this midi-keyboard work in 10.04

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dchurch24
Established Member

Re: Will this midi-keyboard work in 10.04

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have installed LinuxSampler but every time I try to add the Maestro Concert Grand (or anything for that matter), I get the error:

Channel 0.
Some channel settings could not be set.

then, in the messages window:

_lscp_client_evt_request: send: Broken pipe

I haven't a clue what to do next.

Also, I seem to be able to only have one input at a time, i.e. midi or audio.

When I want MIDI in, I have to change the setting in JackCtl to "Input Device: HW1", if I want Audio in, I have to change it to "HW2".

Is it not possible to have both at once? It's a real pig having to restart Hydrogen and reconnect Ardour when I want to make the change.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

I have UMX-25, and as Auto said, its fully supported.

Use your audio-device as input-device in qjackctl and Midi-Driver: "seq" to let it show up in the Midi-tab

Also try out Jsampler as frontend for LinuxSampler
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi, yeah I did that in 10.04 but no joy.

Like I say, when I boot into 9.10 it works fine, as expected, apart from the having to keep swapping the inputs.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Ok, got Jsampler, but how do you run it? Or even install it?

I tried "java jsampler" but I just got lots of filenotfound exceptions.

Boy, this stuff is hard work. Two whole days now, and I've not recorded a thing!
Sadly, it's like this every time I turn this machine on to record - Jack settings change, drivers don't get loaded for audio gear etc....

I had thought that Windows DAW stuff was bad, but I think the Linux tools are starting to catch them up in terms of difficulty and unreliability.

A couple of years ago and the Linux stuff couldn't be beaten, IMO.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

dchurch24 wrote: Also, I seem to be able to only have one input at a time, i.e. midi or audio.

When I want MIDI in, I have to change the setting in JackCtl to "Input Device: HW1", if I want Audio in, I have to change it to "HW2".

Is it not possible to have both at once? It's a real pig having to restart Hydrogen and reconnect Ardour when I want to make the change.
you have to explain that better. The "input device" is only for audio or if you have a midi-input in your soundcard.
What is HW1 and HW2 in your system.
How do you conect the UMX? easiest way is to simply use the USB-connection
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi again,

yep, the UMX is through the USB port.

HW1 = UMX49
HW2 = M-Audio Delta 10-10LT (although it's NOT a 10-10LT, no matter which distro I plug it into the Delta 66 - which this card is, is always recognised as a 1010-LT for some reason).

Here's a screen shot of the dropdown in the Jack settings.

If I want to use midi, I have to select hw:1 (UMX 49) from that list, then restart jack, and then reconnect every application using Jack. If I want Audio in, I have to change it to hw:2 and do the same. If I don't then I only have one or the other.

I'm more concerned about the Linux Sampler not working TBH, if I could get that working, then the other synths etc... don't matter all that much to me, but at the moment, I can use Hexter and SynAddSubFX - I already have a real DX7, so the Hexter thing (whilst very nice) is pointless for me.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

I got Fantasia running -which I assume is the same thing as JSampler.

...well, I say running. First off it complains that it can't open the database??? Then moans that Jack isn't running if I try to create a midi device - Jack is running fine, so I have no idea what it's talking about.

The only output at the CL is "WARNING: Unknown table column -1".

EDIT: I got it connecting to Jack (I think), and I now can create a midi device, but when I try to load a .gig file I get this output:

Code: Select all

dave@ubuntustudio:~/Desktop/Clean_Up$ java -jar Fantasia-0.9.jar 
04-Sep-2010 17:49:35 org.jsampler.CC loadOrchestras
INFO: /home/dave/.jsampler/orchestras.xml (No such file or directory)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/dave/.jsampler/orchestras.xml (No such file or directory)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:137)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:96)
	at org.jsampler.CC.loadOrchestras(CC.java:399)
	at org.jsampler.JSampler.initGUI0(JSampler.java:103)
	at org.jsampler.JSampler.access$100(JSampler.java:36)
	at org.jsampler.JSampler$1.run(JSampler.java:92)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:226)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:602)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:185)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
04-Sep-2010 17:49:37 org.linuxsampler.lscp.Client setSoTimeout
INFO: Unable to set timeout
java.net.SocketException: Socket Closed
	at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.setOption(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
	at java.net.Socket.setSoTimeout(Socket.java:1035)
	at org.linuxsampler.lscp.Client.setSoTimeout(Client.java:188)
	at org.jsampler.task.Global$SetClientReadTimeout.exec(Global.java:265)
	at org.jsampler.task.EnhancedTask.run(EnhancedTask.java:57)
	at net.sf.juife.AbstractTask.invokeAndWait(AbstractTask.java:180)
	at net.sf.juife.TaskQueue.processTheQueue(TaskQueue.java:176)
	at net.sf.juife.TaskQueue.start0(TaskQueue.java:147)
	at net.sf.juife.TaskQueue.access$000(TaskQueue.java:43)
	at net.sf.juife.TaskQueue$1.run(TaskQueue.java:140)
...so it appears that it thinks that LinuxSampler isn't running - it shows up when I do "ps -A |grep linux" so it's there, it's just not allowing connections I think???

If I do "nmap localhost" I can see that port 8888 is open, so I really am baffled as to why it can't establish a connection.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

I get the same when starting Jsampler - this is not your problem:

Code: Select all

[studio@myhost ~]$ jsampler
04/09/2010 14:16:33 org.jsampler.CC loadOrchestras
INFO: /home/studio/.jsampler/orchestras.xml (No such file or directory)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/studio/.jsampler/orchestras.xml (No such file or directory)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:106)
        at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:66)
        at org.jsampler.CC.loadOrchestras(CC.java:399)
        at org.jsampler.JSampler.initGUI0(JSampler.java:103)
        at org.jsampler.JSampler.access$100(JSampler.java:36)
        at org.jsampler.JSampler$1.run(JSampler.java:92)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:174)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:169)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
04/09/2010 14:16:35 org.linuxsampler.lscp.Client setSoTimeout
INFO: Unable to set timeout
java.net.SocketException: Socket Closed
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.setOption(PlainSocketImpl.java:201)
        at java.net.Socket.setSoTimeout(Socket.java:1017)
        at org.linuxsampler.lscp.Client.setSoTimeout(Client.java:188)
        at org.jsampler.task.Global$SetClientReadTimeout.exec(Global.java:265)
        at org.jsampler.task.EnhancedTask.run(EnhancedTask.java:57)
        at net.sf.juife.AbstractTask.invokeAndWait(AbstractTask.java:180)
        at net.sf.juife.TaskQueue.processTheQueue(TaskQueue.java:176)
        at net.sf.juife.TaskQueue.start0(TaskQueue.java:147)
        at net.sf.juife.TaskQueue.access$000(TaskQueue.java:43)
        at net.sf.juife.TaskQueue$1.run(TaskQueue.java:140)
04/09/2010 14:18:06 org.jsampler.DefaultLSConsoleModel$LSConsoleThread run
INFO: Stream closed.
java.io.IOException: Stream closed.
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.available(PlainSocketImpl.java:434)
        at java.net.SocketInputStream.available(SocketInputStream.java:217)
        at org.jsampler.DefaultLSConsoleModel$LscpInputStream.available(DefaultLSConsoleModel.java:528)
        at org.jsampler.DefaultLSConsoleModel$LSConsoleThread.processInput(DefaultLSConsoleModel.java:467)
        at org.jsampler.DefaultLSConsoleModel$LSConsoleThread.run(DefaultLSConsoleModel.java:443)

after starting up you create a audio device in jack and Linuxsampler should appear in "Audio" of Jackconnections, same for midi-device
If you see Linuxsampler in "audio" and "midi" it should work - if not the problem is the gig-file
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

dchurch24 wrote:Hi again,

yep, the UMX is through the USB port.

HW1 = UMX49
HW2 = M-Audio Delta 10-10LT (although it's NOT a 10-10LT, no matter which distro I plug it into the Delta 66 - which this card is, is always recognised as a 1010-LT for some reason).

Here's a screen shot of the dropdown in the Jack settings.

If I want to use midi, I have to select hw:1 (UMX 49) from that list, then restart jack, and then reconnect every application using Jack. If I want Audio in, I have to change it to hw:2 and do the same. If I don't then I only have one or the other.

I'm more concerned about the Linux Sampler not working TBH, if I could get that working, then the other synths etc... don't matter all that much to me, but at the moment, I can use Hexter and SynAddSubFX - I already have a real DX7, so the Hexter thing (whilst very nice) is pointless for me.
if you choose the UMX as input device, where does it show up? in the midi-tab?
It should show up when you use HW2 (just leave default), too...but you have to select a midi-driver in the settings (for me "seq" is working fine). there is also a2jmidid: http://home.gna.org/a2jmidid/ but I don't see why use this if you have the midi-driver already integrated in qjackctl
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi,

I do see LinuxSampler in Jack, but the moment I try to load ANY .gig file (I have about 100 - I tried about 25) I get the "Cannot Establish a Connection" error. I think I'm flogging a dead horse with this one. Is there any other sampler that supports .gig files, one that's a bit more stable?

EDIT: I've just noticed that the clients disappear from the Connections in Jack, when I add a .gig file - ANY file. Then my midi/sound devices also disappear.

Yes, the UMX shows up in the midi tab, if I leave as 'default' then I get no input or output from anything apart from the midi device. Seq is selected under the midi dropdown.
So, at this point I can play the keyboard and control soft-synths and hear the sound.
If I then open, say Audacity or Ardour, then I get no audio input at all, until I change the input device in Jack back to HW:2.

Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

dchurch24 wrote:Hi,

I do see LinuxSampler in Jack, but the moment I try to load ANY .gig file (I have about 100 - I tried about 25) I get the "Cannot Establish a Connection" error. I think I'm flogging a dead horse with this one. Is there any other sampler that supports .gig files, one that's a bit more stable?
no, we have linuxsampler for gig and fluidsynth for SF2.

dchurch24 wrote: Image
you chose default as Interface? Why? as seen on your other printscreen your default interface is the onboard-card.
Choose HW2 on "interface" and leave the rest as "default".........that might be the problem of all - that way you did you have onboard as input device and HW2 as output

EDIT: btw, don't you use a RT-Kernel? if so, you should check "realtime" and give "priority" of 70
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi, I thought you suggested I should use default - I must have had my wires crossed ;-)

If I change it back to HW2, then I have the opposite problem: i.e. No midi, but audio works fine.

I'll check that again in a few minutes. I've had to get up and stretch my legs; I've been sat in this chair for two solid days (3.5 hours sleep!). I'm a nightmare for not walking away from things.

If I check the 'realitime' checkbox, then Jack won't start - I don't know why as it is the RT kernel.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Ha ha ha!

Changed it back to default, and .......drum roll......I now have midi in-out AND audio in-out at the same time!
I must have been drunk or something!

Thank you so very much, if you are ever in the South East UK, I will happily buy you many a beer! ;-)

All I need to do now is get LinuxSampler working and I'll be a very happy man!
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

dchurch24 wrote: Thank you so very much, if you are ever in the South East UK, I will happily buy you many a beer! ;-)
I'll come back to that ;-)

good, that it works now
ohmysql

Post by ohmysql »

If either of you are still watching this thread, would you please respond? I've tried what you said, without success so far, but I'm hoping one of you will be able to help me.

Let me know and I'll post more details.