is playing guitar is good for your mental health?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Toejam76
Established Member

Re: is playing guitar is good for your mental health?

Post by Toejam76 »

Bjork wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:22 am To build a relationship with a Guitar may sound weird, yet it brings peace to my life.
Not at all. I love my axe :D
Anatolie

Post by Anatolie »

Playing the guitar is one of the best things you can do for your mental health. The instrument can reduce stress, enhance your creativity, help you be more productive, give you a better social life, and enhance your well-being.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Anatolie wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:27 am Playing the guitar is one of the best things you can do for your mental health. The instrument can reduce stress, enhance your creativity, help you be more productive, give you a better social life, and enhance your well-being.
Wow you signed up to write this, you must really love the guitar. Me too :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
albert90
Established Member

Post by albert90 »

It is true that playing guitar can be a great hobby. But, it might also be a way to improve your mental health. Playing guitar is not only fun, but it can also help you to relax and improve your concentration.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamane ... le/2790186

Not an expert on this, @milo can probably be a better judge of the scientific quality of this article (which, being a meta-analysis, is based on other articles), but I wanted to share it since it's related :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

From the summary:
Findings This systematic review and meta-analysis of 26 studies comprising 779 individuals found that music interventions were associated with statistically and clinically significant changes in mental HRQOL, both preintervention to postintervention as well as when music interventions were added to treatment as usual vs treatment as usual control groups.
From the abstract:
Analyses included 779 participants from 26 studies (mean [SD] age, 60 [11] years). Music interventions (music listening, 10 studies; music therapy, 7 studies; singing, 8 studies; gospel music, 1 study) were associated with significant improvements in MCS scores (total mean difference, 2.95 points; 95% CI, 1.39-4.51 points; P < .001) and PCS scores (total mean difference, 1.09 points; 95% CI, 0.15-2.03 points; P = .02). In subgroup analysis (8 studies), the addition of music to standard treatment for a range of conditions was associated with significant improvements in MCS scores vs standard treatment alone (mean difference, 3.72 points; 95% CI, 0.40-7.05 points; P = .03). Effect sizes did not vary between music intervention types or doses; no evidence of small study or publication biases was present in any analysis. Mean difference in MCS scores met SF-36 minimum important difference thresholds (mean difference 3 or greater).
This meta analysis was done well, and included high quality studies. The effect size is clinically significant, meaning that music interventions made a meaningful difference, not just a statistically significant but miniscule difference.

The studies looked at various interventions, only one of which included performance (singing). So there is an apples-to-oranges comparison problem in the analysis. And the results don't necessarily inform our specific discussion on this thread, because none of the studies evaluated guitar playing. Also, these studies were not necessarily looking at mental health, but overall health-related quality of life, which is not exactly the same thing.

My takeaway from this is that music has a powerful and measurable therapeutic effect. The corollary is that anything with a powerful therapeutic effect is likely to have a powerful toxicity, if misused or misapplied. "With great power comes great responsibility," and all that.

So, friends: don't misuse your special powers. :)
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

Has anyone done any study on 432hz tuning and effect on mental health?

-Matt :D

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

MattKingUSA wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:16 am Has anyone done any study on 432hz tuning and effect on mental health?
That's an highly controversial topic.

A couple of recent ones:

Music Tuned to 440 Hz Versus 432 Hz and the Health Effects: A Double-blind Cross-over Pilot Study

A = 432: A superior tuning or just a different intonation?

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Toejam76 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:16 am I love my axe
I hate mine. Constantly giving me negative feedback, always out of tune with me, and I have trouble getting my hands around the neck.

Oh wait... I thought you typed "ex". Nevermind.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

LAM wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:16 am
MattKingUSA wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:16 am Has anyone done any study on 432hz tuning and effect on mental health?
That's an highly controversial topic.

A couple of recent ones:

Music Tuned to 440 Hz Versus 432 Hz and the Health Effects: A Double-blind Cross-over Pilot Study

A = 432: A superior tuning or just a different intonation?
I have listened to music in 432hz and I couldn't tell any difference myself. It just sounds like music. haha

-Matt :D

GMoon
Established Member

Post by GMoon »

I love my guitars...some are problem children, some are well behaved. And playing is a part of me.

RE: 432 tuning. I've used alt tunings (open G, open D, etc) but not that. So I tried it.

Not a revelation IMHO, but it is just slightly lower, so some vocals are easier, and on guitar it's a nice compromise between standard tuning and tuning down a half step. Kinda Cool.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

GMoon wrote: RE: 432 tuning.
You're gonna have problems if you want to add any acoustic instruments.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

GMoon
Established Member

Post by GMoon »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:43 pm
GMoon wrote: RE: 432 tuning.
You're gonna have problems if you want to add any acoustic instruments.
Yeah, I can see where that would be a problem with a piano. Not so much for string or wind instruments, though.

My friend the piano tuner would get real tired of me, fast.