Behringer UMX610 - Does it work on Linux? Or Oxygen 61?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

angelsguitar
Established Member

Behringer UMX610 - Does it work on Linux? Or Oxygen 61?

Post by angelsguitar »

I planning on buying later on a Behringer UMX610 controller, but just wanted to be sure it works on Linux. Anyone using it? Would recommend? Do everything works - including the programmable controllers? Please share your experiences.

On the other hand, the Oxygen 61 also grabbed my attention with this thing called DirectLink, and I remember reading posts by people who are using it successfully on Linux. Anyone using it that can share experiences?
Ángel A. Candelaria Colón
Guitar Professor
https://angelsguitar.com
maghoxfr
Established Member

Re: Behringer UMX610 - Does it work on Linux? Or Oxygen 61?

Post by maghoxfr »

hi man, I think i've told you a couple of things about the Oxygen 61 in other posts but the midi control was the one I was trying to solve. Well, solved! i finally could map the keyboard to control Qtractor and it worls great, no latency, no terminal tweaks, nothing, just GUI manual mapping. I can't tell you about the directlink feature but I'd love to make it work.

I don't know about Behringer but they have a DAW that comes with that keyboard that runs on linux.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UMX610.aspx

It also says there
Works with your PC or Mac computer—no setup or drivers
and class compliant thigs shouldn't be a problem in linux for what i know.

Please post here if you find something about the directlink in linux.
Thanks, good luck.
angelsguitar
Established Member

Post by angelsguitar »

Yeah, the DAW that comes with it is EnergyXT.

Someone on Ubuntu forums told me that the previous Behringer keyboard, the UMX 61, worked perfectly on Linux:
I have the older UMX61 model keyboard, and all the MIDI stuff works fine in Linux. I'd expect the UMX610 to be the same because it looks like the same thing with a new paint job.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=6

So I guess the UMX 610 should work too. Although I'm not buying immediately, I think I'll go for the UMX 610 when the time comes. The paint job on it looks nice :lol:
Guitar Professor
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

I would read both manuals first. I don't know about the Behringer but the oxygen 61 has lots of configurations for the keys; range limiting, inversions, MMC, CC, program changes, it has 10 memory bank, 6 velocity curves for the note keys, you can configuure buttons as triggers, toggle values and much more, I'm still learning how to use it fully, everything is totally configurable, that's awesome. I would only change it for a higher quality one.

It also depends on what you want to use it for. The oxygen has 9 faders, 9 buttons, 8 knobs and 6 transport control buttons, a pitch and modulation wheel all fully assignable and configurable. It's a lot more control of the DAW than the Behringer. Of course that if you're only going to be playing as a keyboard it's irrelevant. I knew I was going to use the midi control and that's what made me decide for this one and not the simpler keystation.

The Behringer is said to have an audio interface built in, that's an advantage, it also has a MIDI out, which the Oxygen has not.

I don't know what else to say, I'm fully satisfied with my Oxygen 61, I'm learning more about it still, and I'm glad I decided for it, because it was tough to make a desicion.

Cheers
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

My Oxygen 8 v2 has a MIDI out port. Sure your Oxygen 61 doesn't have one?
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/me ... 1-back.jpg

No it doesn't, it has the USB and the sustain jack on the back (and the security thing that notebooks use, don't know its name). I wouldn't be using a MIDI out anyway.

But strange that the 8 v2 has one and the newer bigger models don't, I really don't know why is that (???).
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

maghoxfr wrote:the security thing that notebooks use, don't know its name
A slot for a kensington lock. Don't put too much faith in those btw: we once lost the key to a locked mac mini, and sort of wiggled it loose without too much damage to the case...
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

raboof wrote:A slot for a kensington lock. Don't put too much faith in those btw: we once lost the key to a locked mac mini, and sort of wiggled it loose without too much damage to the case...
Kensigton lock...well good to know they are not much safe. It never crossed my mind getting one of those.

Thanks
angelsguitar
Established Member

Post by angelsguitar »

maghoxfr wrote:I would read both manuals first. I don't know about the Behringer but the oxygen 61 has lots of configurations for the keys; range limiting, inversions, MMC, CC, program changes, it has 10 memory bank, 6 velocity curves for the note keys, you can configuure buttons as triggers, toggle values and much more, I'm still learning how to use it fully, everything is totally configurable, that's awesome. I would only change it for a higher quality one.

It also depends on what you want to use it for. The oxygen has 9 faders, 9 buttons, 8 knobs and 6 transport control buttons, a pitch and modulation wheel all fully assignable and configurable. It's a lot more control of the DAW than the Behringer. Of course that if you're only going to be playing as a keyboard it's irrelevant. I knew I was going to use the midi control and that's what made me decide for this one and not the simpler keystation.

The Behringer is said to have an audio interface built in, that's an advantage, it also has a MIDI out, which the Oxygen has not.

I don't know what else to say, I'm fully satisfied with my Oxygen 61, I'm learning more about it still, and I'm glad I decided for it, because it was tough to make a desicion.

Cheers
Well, I think I'll be using it as a keyboard only after all. Maybe I will play with the MIDI mapping a bit, but what I mostly need I as good MIDI keyboard for sequencing in Rosegarden and other similar programs. So I guess the Behringer keyboard is more than enough for what I need.

The Behringer keyboard does not have an audio interface built in. What they do is include in the package a UCA222 interface:

http://www.behringer.ch/EN/Products/UCA222.aspx

It's a USB interface, I have one of the previous ones, the UCA202. Seems like the same thing but with a nice paint job (they seem to like red for this sort of thing :lol: ) The point is that it's not built in, as one may be inclined to think by the description, but rather a separate interface bundled in with the keyboard.

One thing I'm concerned of is the feel of the keyboard. Someone commented about the Behringer keyboard being a little stiff for some people. Maybe it's best if I try to find a local store that has both and compare the feel of them.

I read the UMX's manual, and it programmable too, according to the manual. But I'll take into account your recommendation and think about it. I know most M-Audio keyboards are well supported in Linux, and give trouble free performance most of the time, so it's worth considering it at the least. Thanks for the valuable insight.
Guitar Professor
sunson

Post by sunson »

I'm planning to buy a fully assignable midi controller for the purpose of controlling Zyn while recording midi events into Rosegarden. I do read that the M-Audio Oxygen 25 is "fully assignable". Does that mean I can assign (ie., edit on the hardware unit itself without mucking around with software configurations) and tell it to send various CC commands for each knob / slider?
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

sunson wrote:I'm planning to buy a fully assignable midi controller for the purpose of controlling Zyn while recording midi events into Rosegarden. I do read that the M-Audio Oxygen 25 is "fully assignable". Does that mean I can assign (ie., edit on the hardware unit itself without mucking around with software configurations) and tell it to send various CC commands for each knob / slider?
I think it depends on the softwawre in the end. If the software doesn't have the possiblilitty for things to be assigned, then you just can't.
rcspam
Established Member

Post by rcspam »

HI, Oxygen is ok for linux! Great news ! ;)

I project to buy a oxygen 88, is it possible to play with it on linux ? It is very difficult to have some information about that with google.

I just want plug and play ... perhaps one or two apt-get install on my ubuntu but i dont want to put hands in
dirty oil. Is a "midisport firmware" installation sufficient ?

Thanx for your opinion !

rcspam
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

rcspam wrote:HI, Oxygen is ok for linux! Great news ! ;)

I project to buy a oxygen 88, is it possible to play with it on linux ? It is very difficult to have some information about that with google.

I just want plug and play ... perhaps one or two apt-get install on my ubuntu but i dont want to put hands in
dirty oil. Is a "midisport firmware" installation sufficient ?

Thanx for your opinion !

rcspam
My Oxygen 61 is plug and play. Maybe as you say a few things here and here. You have to know your ways through jack a bit to make things happen, but other than that, it's nothing really and I'm just user-level.
rcspam
Established Member

Post by rcspam »

maghoxfr wrote:
My Oxygen 61 is plug and play. Maybe as you say a few things here and here. You have to know your ways through jack a bit to make things happen, but other than that, it's nothing really and I'm just user-level.
I'll go to fishing to information yet if i find it. I think buy oxygen 88 the next mounth.
i'll post here if it s all right. But i supose than the interface of o61 is the same than o88.

thank you and cu.
angelsguitar
Established Member

Post by angelsguitar »

Same here. My Oxygen 61 works perfectly and it is plug and play. Had no problems with the setup.

(BTW, as you can see, I got the Oxygen instead of the Behringer keyboard)
Guitar Professor