KXStudio 10.04.2 is out!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

alexoest
Established Member

Re: KXStudio 10.04.1 is out!

Post by alexoest »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using an internal SB Audigy card, so I don't know if firewire has anything to do with it.

BTW, after changing the buffer parameter I can start Jack, but I've got several xruns per second, so I might have solved one problem but created another.

Alex
falkTX wrote:@alexoest:
it seems that the firewire jackd driver is missing...
weird...

i'll look into this
alexoest
Established Member

Post by alexoest »

falkTX wrote:
alexoest wrote:Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm using an internal SB Audigy card, so I don't know if firewire has anything to do with it.

BTW, after changing the buffer parameter I can start Jack, but I've got several xruns per second, so I might have solved one problem but created another.

Alex
falkTX wrote:@alexoest:
it seems that the firewire jackd driver is missing...
weird...

i'll look into this
Were you able to use Jack in Ubuntu/UbuntuStudio?
How did it worked?
Yes, I've used Ubuntu Stuido (and 64 Studio) on the same computer and Jack worked fine.
Grep
Established Member

Post by Grep »

falkTX,alexoest
I also have internal soundblaster5.1 with mini rack and have encountered the same problem with jack not starting including same errors. I also suspect it might be related to jack2 since jack1 starts manually after reset
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

I am not sure if this will solve the problem, but afaik, jack2 runs in asynchronous mode by default, whereas jack1 runs always in synchronous mode. Try running jack2 in synchronous mode, by writing in the server path:

/usr/bin/jackd -S

Cheers! Pablo
alexoest
Established Member

Post by alexoest »

Pablo,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but it makes no difference. The issues persist.

FalkTX, Grep
I read the release notes and tried to follow them in their description of how to start Jack1. I could start Jack1 from the terminal, but I don't know what the piece "set the jackd binary to "/opt/jack1/bin/jackd"" implies. Where and how do you set that? Is it the text that should be in the server path field?

I've been trying some different settings, an the issues at present are:

Actually, the xruns depend on what input settings in QJackCTL, I choose: Inputs hw:0, hw:0,0 and hw:0,2 give no xruns. But hw:0,1 does. It is described as "mic in" in QJackCTL. The others (0, 0.0 and 0.2) are: "SB Audigy 1 [SB0092]", "ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback" and "Multichannel Capture/ PT Playback", in case that has any importance.

Strange thing is, I have sound from the microphone input in the speakers in all circumstances, even without Jack started. But no matter whether I choose hw:0, 0.0, 0.1 or 0.2, I can't hear my line in. I'd like to be able to: 1: Only hear my mic in when I select it, and 2: Hear my line-in.

Grep, does that match the issues that you have?
Everyone, I'm quite new at this, so I might have overlooked something trivial. Any suggestions?

/Alex
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

@alexoest: Are you sure you have the mic input set as the capture source (and enabled) - perhaps check using alsamixer? I had some very similar issues (with jack1) where I would get xruns (I could get rid of them by running jack in playback only, which was fine for my needs) - but the problem actually turned out to be that I had the mic input disabled in alsa mixer. This may or may not be related to the problems you are experiencing, but it sounds similar, especially given that you have no sound from the mic input. Just a suggestion.
alexoest
Established Member

Post by alexoest »

linuxdsp wrote:@alexoest: Are you sure you have the mic input set as the capture source (and enabled) - perhaps check using alsamixer? I had some very similar issues (with jack1) where I would get xruns (I could get rid of them by running jack in playback only, which was fine for my needs) - but the problem actually turned out to be that I had the mic input disabled in alsa mixer. This may or may not be related to the problems you are experiencing, but it sounds similar, especially given that you have no sound from the mic input. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked in alsamixer but I couldn't see an option to set the capture source. Are you sure that can be done in alsamixer? All I had was the option to adjust volume and mute various channels.

AFAIK I haven't actively chosen any capture source, so it could well be that you are right. Any suggestions on how to do it are welcome!

/Alex
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

falkTX wrote:
You can set the jackd binary in QJackCtl settings, at the top, the "Server Path" option.
Set it to "/opt/jack1/bin/jackd" (only works with "jack1 qjackctl").
Then all the other apps must be started using "jack1 <app>" as well.

That way you get Jack1 in KXStudio.
how do you deal with runtime library dependencies ?

what happens if you type in a terminal

Code: Select all

ldd /opt/jack1/bin/jackd
do you get jack library paths like /usr/lib/libjack* etc ?

if you have jack2 installed /usr/bin and jack1 in /opt/jack1/bin, this won't work at all. the jack1 "jackd" binary must know the path to its own jack1 libraries, probably installed in /opt/jack1/lib

Either jack1 must be linked with the ld option "rpath", or you must PRELOAD the jack1 library path when launching jackd.

Just a guess from what you wrote, you may have thought about all this.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

OK, good to know it was taken care of :)

as a side note, it looks like more and more distros are hiding original binaries behind scripts with same or similar names . It is OK but can sometimes confuse old timers (like me ... yeah, I'm getting old ... :lol: )
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked in alsamixer but I couldn't see an option to set the capture source. Are you sure that can be done in alsamixer? All I had was the option to adjust volume and mute various channels.
Have you pressed the TAB key so you can access the capture levels?
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

In the particualr case I was refering to where I had jack(1) causing xruns which would go away if I started it in playback only, it turned out that the xruns were being caused because the mic input to the (onboard (intel) audio) was muted in alsa mixer. At the time I hadn't realised that for some chipsets and their corresponding ALSA drivers, muting the input (IIRC this can be toggled in alsamixer with the <space bar>) appears to cause this behaviour in jack (I had assumed the mute function just caused the input data from the muted channel to be disregarded, but it seems to go a little deeper than that since it appears it can stop jack functioning correctly for some chipsets) .
alexoest
Established Member

Post by alexoest »

falkTX wrote:
alexoest wrote:FalkTX, Grep
I read the release notes and tried to follow them in their description of how to start Jack1. I could start Jack1 from the terminal, but I don't know what the piece "set the jackd binary to "/opt/jack1/bin/jackd"" implies. Where and how do you set that? Is it the text that should be in the server path field?
You can set the jackd binary in QJackCtl settings, at the top, the "Server Path" option.
Set it to "/opt/jack1/bin/jackd" (only works with "jack1 qjackctl").
Then all the other apps must be started using "jack1 <app>" as well.

That way you get Jack1 in KXStudio.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. When typng "jack1 qjackctl" in the terminal, I get:
Suspending PulseAudio
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon

And then Jack won't start with "/opt/jack1/bin/jackd" in the "server" field. I get this message:
20:36:04.814 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jack server is not running or cannot be started

When typing jack1 rakarrack in the terminal, rakarrack tries to start, but abandons due to jack not being started.
alexoest
Established Member

Post by alexoest »

Pablo wrote:
Have you pressed the TAB key so you can access the capture levels?
Yes, that doesn't change anything. There's still no option of selecting capture source. I use Alsamixer v1.0.22
alexoest
Established Member

Post by alexoest »

falkTX wrote:---<snip>---

Make sure you stop jack first:

killall jackd lashd ladishd a2jmidid a2j
killall -KILL jackdbus pulseaudio
Start jack:

jack1 jackd -d alsa #etc...
jackdbus and pulseaudio must be killed with the "-KILL" switch, or they will never stop.
Thanks again, I'll try it. At present, I have a more pressing problem: I have no sound at all. I've been looking everywhere to see if I had something muted or turned down, but in Alsamixer (or Kmix for that matter) everything looks ok.

There's something else, BTW: I can't see any capture options in Alsamixer and Kmix. I can see from screendumps at various sites that most people have these options, but I haven't got them for my sound card. I _do_ have these options for my TV tuner card that's installed in the same computer, but that doesn't help much. Is there a way to select which of the cards should be used for sound capture ? (and then, after choosing the sound card rather than the TV tuner card, the capture source options might appear).

A third thing now I'm at it: I get an error message when trying to install the automatic updates and bugfixes (pasted in below). I'm hesitant to try to solve my no sound problem as long as it might be taken care of by an update. Is it likely that an update would solve the problem?

/Alex

Error message:
Error Type:
Error Value: need more than 1 value to unpack
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2216, in
main()
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2213, in main
run(args, options.single)
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2175, in run
backend.dispatcher(args)
File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 699, in dispatcher
self.dispatch_command(args[0], args[1:])
File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 690, in dispatch_command
self.simulate_update_packages(package_ids)
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1248, in simulate_update_packages
pkgs = self._mark_for_upgrade(ids)
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 1257, in _mark_for_upgrade
version = self._get_version_by_id(id)
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2098, in _get_version_by_id
name, version_string, arch, data = id.split("
", 4)
alexoest
Established Member

Post by alexoest »

falkTX wrote:---<snip>---

hm... kpackagekit doesn't handle updates very well.
You can try the command-line, it always worked for me:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
---<snip>---
Thanks. I did the command line update (it ended with an error message that I don't recall), restarted, and now I can't log in. When I type my password and hit enter, it loads for a couple of seconds, and then reverts to the login screen.

Are there any quick fixes for that?

/Alex