Anna log Käse auf die Pizza

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Hi

This is my very first Song composed and recorded with GNU/Linux. All instruments were played Track by Track recorded into Audacity. It was composed and recorded in April 2011.

This Song has two Drum Tracks.

The Drum rhythm on the left channel was played by 16" Bass Drum, 10" Hi-Hat and 10" Snare Drum, the Drum rhythm on the right channel was played by 22" Bass Drum, 14" Hi-Hat, 24" Ride Cymbal and 12" Snare Drum.

All Synthesizer Sounds are played with a Yamaha SY22 Synthesizer and a Yamaha TG55 Sound Module.
Last edited by TAERSH on Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philotomy
Established Member

Re: Anna log Käse auf die Pizza

Post by Philotomy »

You should post a direct link to the song, my dude! :)
My recordings on SoundCloud
Distro: Arch, DAW: Bitwig, Interface: Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Philotomy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:56 am You should post a direct link to the song, my dude! :)
:shock:

I did!

But somehow it got lost when submitting the post. :?
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Hi @TAERSH ,
interesting, almost psychedelic piece. I like the idea with the two semi-independent drum kits. Only, the few songs I have listened to from you in the past, always gave me the impression of having weak drum sounds. Which is why I didn't comment on a single one yet. I am very much fanatic about drums, that might explain it. :)
The mix is good, well glued together and the vocals spread this glorious psychedelic, crazy atmosphere.
Overall, I got a very 80s vibe from this track, which is partly due to the mix itself. I got the impression that you didn't process the tracks a lot. There are effects, but things like EQ'ing and compression to shie up your sounds weren't evident. If you already work with such tools, then you are really subtle and might do with upping it. :) If not, maybe it's a set of tools worth considering, to spice and shine up your productions a tad.
With a song like this you most likely wouldn't want a radio-ready all 2021 polished sound, but there'd still be enough space to explore and experiment with to share your vibes in "technicolour". :)
Thanks for sharing your songs, especially this weird and wonderful one. :)
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Hi, @jeanette_c
...impression of having weak drum sounds.
I just don't like all that new fat drum sounds. Usually I prefer a drum sound being as near to the original drum kit as possible. The drum sounds which I'm using in all my songs are recorded by myself in 2009, taken from my huge Sonor Force 3007 drum kit. Though, I like to have reverb especially on the Snare Drum and the Toms. So, maybe sometimes the Snare Drum is a little to wet in reverb.
I got the impression that you didn't process the tracks a lot.
Yes, true!

Usually I take sounds from the e.g. synthesizers as they come. On the drums in addition to the reverb I sometimes use equalizer and compressor. If so, mostly on the Snare Drum. Also sometimes in addition I'm using again a compressor on the stereo mix of a song. But that's rarely done.

However, thanks for listening to some of my music. If you would like to listen to my drum kit a little more fat and on top of the music, perhaps you should listen once to:
The Space Traveller
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

TAERSH wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:03 am ...
If you would like to listen to my drum kit a little more fat and on top of the music, perhaps you should listen once to:
The Space Traveller
Thanks for the tip, I did. I got a better impression of your drums. Maybe it is the reverb (amount and style) that colours the sound in that particular way. Space traveller is an impressive work as such.
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de