Libre Music Challenge

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

rghvdberg
Established Member

Libre Music Challenge

Post by rghvdberg »

Hello,

I and others in Unfa's discord server were discussing about organising some sort of music "Challenge" and instead of thinking things thoroughly through we just went ahead and started. Of course there's no need to join the discord server, or other chat server (we're investigating a 'libre' messaging platform to adapt) and we thought this forum was a good place to announce and discuss/chat about the (hopefully) monthly challenge.

I want to be clear about this:
This is all in good fun, there are no prizes to win, nothing is set in stone.

Note: when using the word free, I mean free as in freedom, not free beer.

Nonetheless here are The General Rules
  1. Maybe the most important rule : HAVE FUN.
    • Be excellent to each other.
    • Help each other where you can.
    • Share your know-how, tips and tricks.
  2. Each challenge starts at the 1st of each month and runs for the entire length of the month
  3. Software
    • All submissions must be made with free (libre) audio software only.
    • A non-free operating system is allowed
  4. Submissions / Voting / Scoring
    • All submissions must be original work. No covers of existing songs, no remake or remixes of songs you already have.
    • Submissions between 2 to 3 minutes are preferred, this is not a 'hard rule' though.
    • When submitting an entry you agree that the song is published under a CC-BY-SA
    • Your submission might be played on YouTube, if you don't agree with that, please let us know and it won't be played.
    • Each person that enters the challenge must score all other tracks with a score from 1 to 5.
    • The submission with the most points is the "winner".
    • The prize is "eternal fame". The winning submission will be played during the livestream, unless you explicitly ask not too
    • The "organization" (that would be me!, Rob) can reject an entry.
    • The "organization" (again me!) can ask for the project files to check if the track complies with the rules.
Last edited by rghvdberg on Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnyThreeWords
Established Member

Re: Libre Music Challenge

Post by AnyThreeWords »

When and how does voting happen?
Jesse
They/them
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

@AnyThreeWords See score card posted in challenge thread just now.
Lèyon di li Neûris′
Established Member
Location: County of Hainaut where people should speak walloonish. Integrated to something called: “Belgium”.

Post by Lèyon di li Neûris′ »

Hi,
rghvdberg wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:51 pmWhen submitting an entry you agree that the song is published under a CC-BY-SA
It looks like Tobiasz Karoń uses Creative Common Zero, I suppose he should be dismissed for that reason.
Of course, I'm kidding, but can you officially state that Creative Common Zero is also accepted?
Of course that's what I will use, I don't even want to participate if I have to use a Creative Common Attribution Share Alike :wink:.
God bless you.
Excuse my not so bad imperialist language.
Je parle:
-français (langue maternelle),
-ein bisschen Deutsch,
-on topau walon,
-een beetje Nederlands,
-je signe peu la langue des signes de Belgique francophone,
-я чуть чуть говорю по-русски,
-a trochu česky.
pinqvin
Established Member

Post by pinqvin »

Hello

Ok the challenge is closed I think but for the advance . So what does it really mean that you are only allowed to use libre music software? So can I use Kemper for guitar sounds (same as any amplifier) or do I have to use guitarix and what about drum samples, I have payed drum samples (from Analogue Drums which doesn't exists anymore?) from which I have made Hydrogen kit, so can I use these?
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

pinqvin wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:36 am So what does it really mean that you are only allowed to use libre music software?
It means that every piece of software must have a free and open source license. See this list which covers >99% of licenses:
https://opensource.org/licenses

All used audio clips, samples etc. (everything that is not a software-program) must be usable for any purpose, without limitations, must be allowed to change the samples, redistribute, which incl. selling the samples. A "copyleft" clause can be applied to this, but not necessary.
Most prominently such resources are release under a Creative Commons License, specifically: CC-By, CC-0, CC-By-Sa. The other CC licenses are not considered "libre". There is also public domain in some countries of the world, which is good as well.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Lèyon di li Neûris′ wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:40 pm Hi,
rghvdberg wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:51 pmWhen submitting an entry you agree that the song is published under a CC-BY-SA
It looks like Tobiasz Karoń uses Creative Common Zero, I suppose he should be dismissed for that reason.
Of course, I'm kidding, but can you officially state that Creative Common Zero is also accepted?
Of course that's what I will use, I don't even want to participate if I have to use a Creative Common Attribution Share Alike :wink:.
God bless you.
CC-By and CC-0 are fully compatible with CC-By-Sa without losses. Even if you were not kidding the LMC staff could simply "re-license" it to CC-By-Sa the moment it was submitted.

This is, metaphorically, the same as requiring people to submit in "flac" format but someone submits a .wav. No reason for disqualification, it is a simple lossless conversion.
Lèyon di li Neûris′
Established Member
Location: County of Hainaut where people should speak walloonish. Integrated to something called: “Belgium”.

Post by Lèyon di li Neûris′ »

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
nilshi wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:07 amCC-By and CC-0 are fully compatible with CC-By-Sa without losses. Even if you were not kidding the LMC staff could simply "re-license" it to CC-By-Sa the moment it was submitted.
So that mean that you would release it in Creative Common Attribution Share Alike for on your side while I release it in Creative Common Zero and that people who would know this peace of music by the chalenge would be limited by that licence and would have to notice I publish it in Creative Common Zero to know it is indeed that licence that is primarily used.
Is that correct?
God bless you.
Excuse my not so bad imperialist language.
Je parle:
-français (langue maternelle),
-ein bisschen Deutsch,
-on topau walon,
-een beetje Nederlands,
-je signe peu la langue des signes de Belgique francophone,
-я чуть чуть говорю по-русски,
-a trochu česky.