AVlinux 2020.11.23 issues with key software

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

onlythehungry
Established Member

AVlinux 2020.11.23 issues with key software

Post by onlythehungry »

I hope this is an ok spot to bring highlight some problems I've found with AVlinux 2020.11.23

I was able to install AVLinux with no problem on my laptop with UEFI boot.

I am seeing some package problems - qJackCtl seems particularly unstable especially after multiple restarts. Not sure how to reproduce but it's pretty easy to have Jack say it's running but sound connections in Ardour don't make any sound.

qJackCtl has problems with font sizes in the dropdown menus within qJackCtl configuration. The default values are mostly unreadable. I haven't been able to find a way to have these render correctly - clicking within the dropdown displays correctly.

Ardour6.5 is included but it appears to be built incorrectly. The Configuration guis for guitarix plugins specifically don't work. This happens generally when the SUIL packages aren't built into the binary or when they mismatch in how they re built. It would be nice to have an update that fixes this.
haast
Established Member

Re: AVlinux 2020.11.23 issues with key software

Post by haast »

Included in AVL is Guitarix vs. 0.36 which is a bit old. Newer versions e.g. 0.39 or 0.40 probably behave different in Ardour and AVL.

This is in addition to the first post not in any means a solution to the first post.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

onlythehungry wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:01 pm I hope this is an ok spot to bring highlight some problems I've found with AVlinux 2020.11.23

I was able to install AVLinux with no problem on my laptop with UEFI boot.

I am seeing some package problems - qJackCtl seems particularly unstable especially after multiple restarts. Not sure how to reproduce but it's pretty easy to have Jack say it's running but sound connections in Ardour don't make any sound.

qJackCtl has problems with font sizes in the dropdown menus within qJackCtl configuration. The default values are mostly unreadable. I haven't been able to find a way to have these render correctly - clicking within the dropdown displays correctly.

Ardour6.5 is included but it appears to be built incorrectly. The Configuration guis for guitarix plugins specifically don't work. This happens generally when the SUIL packages aren't built into the binary or when they mismatch in how they re built. It would be nice to have an update that fixes this.
As far as Jack goes when it is unstable have you tried to kill all Jackd and Jackdbus processes from the AVL-MXE Assistant and then retry?

Yes the QT applications don't look particularly great especially the number boxes, Run 'QT5 settings' from the AVL-MXE Assistant and give it a few seconds to launch then change the theme from gtk2 to 'Fusion'..

Ardour 6.5 is the official ardour.org bundle.. it was built by them, they do not support anyone else's packaging so I always include their own bundle so Users can get tech support on the Ardour forums or IRC
QT5-Fusion.png
QT5-Fusion.png (52.28 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Last edited by GMaq on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

haast wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:28 pm Included in AVL is Guitarix vs. 0.36 which is a bit old. Newer versions e.g. 0.39 or 0.40 probably behave different in Ardour and AVL.

This is in addition to the first post not in any means a solution to the first post.
Yep.. pretty much everything (except Hydrogen, Yoshimi and the specific AVL-MXE tools and packages) come through the KXStudio repos.. I have no interest in starting a separate packaging repo to duplicate what Debian and KXStudio are already doing... I did it years ago and just about drove myself crazy..

Unfortunately from notes like this and from folks like Rui (rncbc) making me aware of the age of the Q things it appears as though the KX Repos are needing some updates in a bad way... I suggest Users make some update requests to falkTX here:

https://github.com/KXStudio/Repository/issues
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

haast wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:28 pm Included in AVL is Guitarix vs. 0.36 which is a bit old. Newer versions e.g. 0.39 or 0.40 probably behave different in Ardour and AVL.
Umpf, that is really, really bad. :shock:
A easy way to fix that, and any other outdated apps, is to add the LibraZik repository. instead/beside the ones from KxStudio.
https://librazik.tuxfamily.org/doc3/man ... librazik-3
On the road again.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tramp wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:30 am
Umpf, that is really, really bad. :shock:
A easy way to fix that, and any other outdated apps, is to add the LibraZik repository. instead/beside the ones from KxStudio.
https://librazik.tuxfamily.org/doc3/man ... librazik-3
@tramp

I don't disagree with you that it is disappointing that your application is not represented with your latest version.. but Librazik does not seem to advertise it self as a Repository for all Debian Users as far as I can tell... the link you sent is in French. I have nothing against Librazik at all, I'm sure it is a great project but I don't want to recommend it as yet another repository without some more personal experience with it and some direct contact with it's maintainer.. I don't easily just randomly add repos to AV Linux..

I don't understand what is happening with the KXStudio repos, there seems to be lots of plugin updates and of course Carla updates... Is there some reason that i have missed that falkTX is no longer maintaining things like Guitarix and the Q-stuff? Have you and Rui talked with falkTX about the status of your apps in KX?
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

@GMaq
I talk often with him on IRC, but as I don't use KXstudio repository's I don't care what he put in and what not.
falkTX has stated last year (or was it the year before?) that he take a break from maintaining the kxstudio repository's. Sins then he only maintain stuff he use itself.
So, for you, it is a bad choice relaying on it, when you would present a collection of newest apps to the AVLinux users.
The only one I'm aware of who package for debian/buster nearly all the recent stuff is Olivier Humbert for LibraZik.
That's why I mentioned it here.

Installing those repository's on AVLinux is as simple as download two debian packages, and install them. This could easily be done by any of your users itself, if they would get some newer, updated packages from the Linux Multimedia OpenSource world.
On the road again.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@tramp

I have to upload a fresh ISO to fix some booting problems experienced by some users so I will fix the guitarix problem on my own for now..

As a temporary solution I'm trying to build your latest guitarix with your debian package script, it is failing at libboost-iostreams but I have the 'dev' libraries installed and my version is 1.67 which should be plenty new..

Snippet from config log:

Code: Select all

Checking for boost_iostreams >= 1.42
==>

#include <boost/version.hpp>
    #include <boost/format.hpp>
    #include <boost/thread.hpp>
    #if BOOST_VERSION < 104200
    #error
    #endif
    int main(){ return 0; }

<==
[1/2] Compiling [32mbuild/.conf_check_878afbe664a9143bb50b5f516381e9c0/test.cpp[0m

['/usr/bin/g++', '-DIS_LINUX="linux"', '-DLOCALEDIR="/usr/share/locale"', '-DGETTEXT_PACKAGE="guitarix"', '-DENABLE_NLS=1', '-DHAVE_SNDFILE=1', '-DHAVE_GTHREAD=1', '-DHAVE_GLIBMM=1', '-DHAVE_FFTW3_H=1', '-DHAVE_FFTW3=1', '-DHAVE_JACK=1', '-DHAVE_JACK_SESSION=1', '-DHAVE_GMODULE_EXPORT=1', '-DHAVE_CURL=1', '-DHAVE_GTK2=1', '-DHAVE_GTKMM=1', '-DHAVE_GIOMM=1', '-DHAVE_LADSPA_H=1', '-DHAVE_LRDF=1', '-DHAVE_LILV=1', '../test.cpp', '-c', '-o/media/isotester/DATA1/Packaging/GUITARIX/guitarix-0.41.0/build/.conf_check_878afbe664a9143bb50b5f516381e9c0/testbuild/test.cpp.1.o']
err: In file included from /usr/include/boost/date_time/time_clock.hpp:16,
                 from /usr/include/boost/thread/thread_time.hpp:9,
                 from /usr/include/boost/thread/lock_types.hpp:18,
                 from /usr/include/boost/thread/pthread/thread_data.hpp:12,
                 from /usr/include/boost/thread/thread_only.hpp:17,
                 from /usr/include/boost/thread/thread.hpp:12,
                 from /usr/include/boost/thread.hpp:13,
                 from ../test.cpp:4:
/usr/include/boost/date_time/c_time.hpp:78:21: error: token "' __INITIAL_POINTER_SIZE == 64" is not valid in preprocessor expressions
 #if defined(__VMS) && __INITIAL_POINTER_SIZE == 64
                     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

from /media/isotester/DATA1/Packaging/GUITARIX/guitarix-0.41.0: Test does not build: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/media/isotester/DATA1/Packaging/GUITARIX/guitarix-0.41.0/.waf-2.0.19-1f3c580272b15a03d2566843c5fe872a/waflib/Configure.py", line 333, in run_build
    bld.compile()
  File "/media/isotester/DATA1/Packaging/GUITARIX/guitarix-0.41.0/.waf-2.0.19-1f3c580272b15a03d2566843c5fe872a/waflib/Build.py", line 176, in compile
    raise Errors.BuildError(self.producer.error)
BuildError: Build failed
 -> task in 'testprog' failed with exit status 1 (run with -v to display more information)

no
from /media/isotester/DATA1/Packaging/GUITARIX/guitarix-0.41.0: The configuration failed
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I remember I've seen that, was a incompatible state between glibc and boost when I remember right.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=920727
On the road again.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tramp wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:17 pm I remember I've seen that, was a incompatible state between glibc and boost when I remember right.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=920727
So this has been buggy for 2 whole Debian Stable releases!!?? :evil: :evil: :evil:
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

As I said, I cant really remember. Just, guitarix use not more or less from boost in v0.36 then in v0.41.
Maybe you could better use the debian folder from sid to build the pakage
On the road again.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tramp wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:56 pm As I said, I cant really remember. Just, guitarix use not more or less from boost in v0.36 then in v0.41.
I've used the librazik guitarix packages as a temporary workaround, People are waiting for this ISO update and I've had dozens of other issues to figure out... guitarix doesn't build on Buster and falkTX is out of the guitarix business according to this: https://github.com/KXStudio/Repository/issues/253

Looks like things are back to the bad old days... I appreciate and am happy to see what Librazik is doing but I'm not going to swoop in and be a 'taker' I will need some time to think and figure out what the best long-term strategy is to keep these packages maintained, but for now Guitarix will be fresh on the ISO update..
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tramp wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:56 pm As I said, I cant really remember. Just, guitarix use not more or less from boost in v0.36 then in v0.41.
Better solution: I've talked to the MX folks...

Guitarix and a few other core Linux Audio apps that are being missed by KXStudio will be coming into the MX Repos very soon, this is also better to help merge AV Linux and MX in the future so it is better than going to another outside repo..
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

GMaq wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:52 am Better solution: I've talked to the MX folks...

Guitarix and a few other core Linux Audio apps that are being missed by KXStudio will be coming into the MX Repos very soon, this is also better to help merge AV Linux and MX in the future so it is better than going to another outside repo..
Sounds like you've choose the right distribution as base for AVlinux. :)
Well done.
On the road again.
haast
Established Member

Post by haast »

GMaq wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:52 am Guitarix and a few other core Linux Audio apps that are being missed by KXStudio will be coming into the MX Repos very soon, this is also better to help merge AV Linux and MX in the future so it is better than going to another outside repo..
Thanks!!