Jotunheim - Playing live to backing tracks.

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CraigPid
Established Member

Jotunheim - Playing live to backing tracks.

Post by CraigPid »

I recorded a video of myself playing guitar along with some tracks I recorded in Ardour.The guitar is played through a Mesa Boogie Studio 22 and a Tube Screamer TS-10.
https://youtu.be/Tl1_GpQkhMc
cabsi
Established Member

Re: Jotunheim - Playing live to backing tracks.

Post by cabsi »

Nice playing. And nice looking guitar too :D

How did you record from your amp? Like what sort of mic?

i5 9600K - Kubuntu 22.04 - Ardour 7.5 - Rakarrack - Calf plugins
https://gobackwrongwayne.bandcamp.com/ - https://soundcloud.com/gobackww

CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I just recorded with a smartphone so it is just the room sound.
Philotomy
Established Member

Post by Philotomy »

Nice song and playing!

When I saw you had a Mesa, I was expecting a massive guitar sound, so the phone recording was a surprise. :wink: Would love to hear a fully mixed/mastered version.
My recordings on SoundCloud
Distro: Arch, DAW: Bitwig, Interface: Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

@Philtomy That amp is a 22 watt combo that I bought in '88. It sounds quite different than what Mesa has come to be known for. The clean sounds from it are amazing. I never used the dirty channel so much as it was kind of noisy but it is quite nice at bedroom volumes. There was a mod going around to fix the issues with the dirty channel but I am a terror with a solder gun.
Philotomy
Established Member

Post by Philotomy »

Very cool. I've never played a Mesa, actually. I have a Fender Blues Jr. (with a Cannabis Rex speaker replacing the stock one), a Marshall DSL40 (with a Celestion Creamback replacing the stock speaker), a Marshall SL5, and a Boss Katana 100/212.
My recordings on SoundCloud
Distro: Arch, DAW: Bitwig, Interface: Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Nice track, it feels like one of those instrumentals bands in the 70s like Uriah Heep could write! What guitar are you playing by the way? It's gorgeous but I don't recognize the model.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

@ Rainmak3r The guitar is called a Penner. In 1983 I took some guitar lessons off of a fellow in my town. He had a luthier shop and was making a couple different body shapes by hand. There were not too many made as I think he needed to focus more on his carpentry business. I think less than 20 of that shape. He sold that one to me for $900 Canadian dollars in 1983 and said that at that price he was making $3/hr. A friend bought one that was a cherry sunburst with a clear coat. Mine has a bird's eye maple top, mahogany body with neck through body. Ebony fretboard with abalone inlays and EMG humbuckers. It's pretty much in perfect condition now except I need a new nut.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

CraigPid wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:14 pm @ Rainmak3r The guitar is called a Penner. In 1983 I took some guitar lessons off of a fellow in my town. He had a luthier shop and was making a couple different body shapes by hand. There were not too many made as I think he needed to focus more on his carpentry business. I think less than 20 of that shape. He sold that one to me for $900 Canadian dollars in 1983 and said that at that price he was making $3/hr. A friend bought one that was a cherry sunburst with a clear coat. Mine has a bird's eye maple top, mahogany body with neck through body. Ebony fretboard with abalone inlays and EMG humbuckers. It's pretty much in perfect condition now except I need a new nut.
Truly one of a kind, then! :o