Portable MiDI Keyboard recommendations

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hm11
Established Member

Portable MiDI Keyboard recommendations

Post by hm11 »

Hey folks, i need some recommendations for a portable midi keyboard. Im trying to up my game on my music production. I want to kill as many birds as i can with the same stone, i work 12hr shifts, take care of my dad (as a job) and any other errands i gotta do, i do them. I want a midi keyboard so that when im at work i can use it to work on music (With reaper) but i dont know which ones to look for. I basically want one that has strong keys, dont care much for control buttons (knobs, pads, EQ) since i can do al of that in software. And of course it has to be able to fit a standard size backpack.. It can be 14-15 inches in lenght.. I can make exceptions, just as long as it can fit on my backpack which at this time i dont have the measurements. Any what saith you?
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
- www.soundcloud.com/dannylyrica
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Portable MiDI Keyboard recommendations

Post by Michael Willis »

One of the M-Audio Keystation models should probably work for you:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=keystation

They come in a variety of sizes, pick the size/portability tradeoff that works for you.
hm11
Established Member

Post by hm11 »

Thanks!! Ill check em. I forgot about reverb...
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Keystep is pretty good and compact with some handy features.
andersen
Established Member

Post by andersen »

Hey,
Don't know if you're still looking for a midi controller/keyboard, but I'll give you my two cents.
I went with a Native Instruments Mk 32 and I like it a lot. It came with Komplete Kontrol and a bunch of other NI software synths/loops/instruments/FX.
As soon as I began working with it I realized I needed a bigger key board. The next one will be a 48 key controller. This 32 key will become a dedicated drum or synth controller.

NI has LOTS of instrument packages and while some of them are pricey, they go on sale from time to time so if you have a low level bundle of synths/instruments, you can upgrade more cheaply. You want rock, lots to choose from. You want hip hop, lots of loops etc... You want studio sampled orchestral instruments... yup.

This is hind sight. I was just looking for a good controller when I bought it. I like the action on the keyboard too.
Cheers
Less talk, more music - andersen
hm11
Established Member

Post by hm11 »

so your saying that 32 while smaller will make me gravitate to 48? even onthe go?
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

For portable I have a GarageKey Mini MIDI Keyboard with 37 keys in 45cm width.
Probably not what you're looking for, though it fits all my needs. There's no controllers on it, except two buttons for octave up/down with USB connection only.
andersen
Established Member

Post by andersen »

hm11 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:56 pm so your saying that 32 while smaller will make me gravitate to 48? even onthe go?
I got the controller to use with a synthesizer synth and FX and then found I was actually using it as a piano! It's too short for that. Needs another octave, but (IMO) it's perfect for FX and synthesizer lines. NI software is pricey (but good). There's good support and a big NI community. It came with Ableton Live demo > 8 tracks max I think. Never used it. If I only had a Mac.
hm11
Established Member

Post by hm11 »

Ok, i think ill use it to lay a few synth lines and not full actuall production.. I mean who knows maybe i will and ill just make do with that! But right now portability is a #1. Specially since i got a 60 something key keyboard at home and at work i getvthat urge and fire to produce.
andersen wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:31 pm
hm11 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:56 pm so your saying that 32 while smaller will make me gravitate to 48? even onthe go?
I got the controller to use with a synthesizer synth and FX and then found I was actually using it as a piano! It's too short for that. Needs another octave, but (IMO) it's perfect for FX and synthesizer lines. NI software is pricey (but good). There's good support and a big NI community. It came with Ableton Live demo > 8 tracks max I think. Never used it. If I only had a Mac.
andersen
Established Member

Post by andersen »

hm11 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:16 pm Ok, i think ill use it to lay a few synth lines and not full actuall production.. I mean who knows maybe i will and ill just make do with that! But right now portability is a #1. Specially since i got a 60 something key keyboard at home and at work i getvthat urge and fire to produce.
andersen wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:31 pm
There are a bunch of free Windows synthesizer synths. DX7, moog, hypercyclic, arpessionators... I've yet to conquer that learning curve her in Linux land. But with a controller at the ready, you can have a lot of fun. It will boil down to the time and the learning curve. I too little of one and too much of the other.
Cheers!
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

The smallest keys I have found is the CME XKey 25 https://www.thomann.de/intl/ru/cme_xkey_25_silver.htm
It works fine under Linux and even configure/update utility works with Wine.

Drawback - is the short key press, it's very different feeling in compare with other controllers.
hm11
Established Member

Post by hm11 »

Ive made my decision and purshases the nektar 25.. Here ;https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QY4PKNS/re ... UTF8&psc=1 is a very simple keyboard. I never really needed to use controllers so i based it on my actual use.