Tick tick when record is clicked on Audacity

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Ilos
Established Member

Tick tick when record is clicked on Audacity

Post by Ilos »

Hey I have just switched from Windows. Went with Ubuntu Studio, pretty impressed at how well everything works.

Except I get a faint ticking sound when I press record with Audacity. It isn't there when not recording.
OcenAudio has the same, though, slightly more frequent, slighty softer than the Audacity recordings.(Almost seems gpu related...)

My microphone is USB, Superlux e205u. Using Jack Alsa or pulse, has made no difference compared to each other.

I have tested the mic on many bitrates and frequencies, as input only, tried switching digital duplex to half digital input/output half stereo input/output. Very little differences.

I change settings in Studio Controls, Jack and the recording app to match each other. I am perhaps changing the settings incorrectly, or just going about this wrong.

I am close to going with Arch and doing everything from scratch, I am not scared of playing around or learning. I am however a human, and scared of sitting with one issue for too long.
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Tick tick when record is clicked on Audacity

Post by Basslint »

Hello!

Can you record this ticking sound and send it to us?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Ilos
Established Member

Post by Ilos »

Hey I hope this is okay, my computer is a bit loud.
Attachments
tsktsk.wav
(174.19 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Ilos
Established Member

Post by Ilos »

When I zoom in with Audacity the rate that the ticks occur, increase. My gpu is an ASUS AORUS AMD RX580, not sure if it is the cause.

I have "disabled"/blacklisted the AMD hdmi drivers. Not that it made a difference.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Ilos wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:13 pm Hey I hope this is okay, my computer is a bit loud.
On the contrary, it's very low in volume and I had to amplify it in Audacity...if I hear it correctly, it sounds like ground issues.

Back when you used Windows, did you have this problem?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Ilos
Established Member

Post by Ilos »

Hey good-ish news. I also had suspected ground issues. However, the recording is clean when done with QJackRcd.

I wonder if it is the gpu vrm struggling with ground issue/dirty noise when plotting the graph. It was okay in Windows though. I am quite baffled.
Ilos
Established Member

Post by Ilos »

Hey guys.

So I went with Arcolinux, built audacity from git clone on AUR "audacity-wxgtk2" "v2.4.2-1" and now it seems to be fixed. I will test a bit and report if I find any problems. I did however have the ticking with the packaged audacity on Arch.
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

One thing to check: is your USB microphone sharing the same USB hub as other "busy" hardware (e.g., mouse, hard drives, etc.)? I've found that keeping my USB interface on a separate hub reduces lots of otherwise inexplicable behavior.

To test, you can run

Code: Select all

lsusb -vt
and look for your microphone.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Ilos wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:26 am Hey guys.

So I went with Arcolinux, built audacity from git clone on AUR "audacity-wxgtk2" "v2.4.2-1" and now it seems to be fixed. I will test a bit and report if I find any problems. I did however have the ticking with the packaged audacity on Arch.
That version of audacity is one version away from the one in the main Arch repos.

Do you still have the other distros around, like Ubuntu Studio? Maybe testing 2.4.2 on that would have the same results.

Ilos
Established Member

Post by Ilos »

Hey.

@Basslint I assume it would work fine in Ubuntu if built to that version. Haven't tried, I like Arch Linux more than MX or Ubuntu. I refuse to even try Windows again though.

@tseaver That is one of the first things I did when I had the issue. I run on the same hub now without noise, which I guess is a good thing.