Jade

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Re: Jade

Post by Rainmak3r »

Basslint wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:05 pm Very good Lorenzo, creative and eclectic as usual. Reminds me of Kitaro (who is Japanese but makes music inspired by China sometimes).
Thanks for listening! I don't know Kitaro, I'll have to listen to some of his works. I started gathering ideas for a Japanese-inspired piece as well, so hopefully it will be a learning experience for that too (or do Wagakki Band count already? :mrgreen: ).
Basslint wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:05 pm I think you are ready to compose soundtracks! :D
It was a dream of mine ages ago, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed... unless there's movies that only last for about 5-6 minutes! :lol:
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:13 pm It was a dream of mine ages ago, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed... unless there's movies that only last for about 5-6 minutes! :lol:
There are short films (cortometraggi), trailers and ads :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

It's very nice as it sounds as expected 'Chinese' music can sound like to our ears. Actually when the 'western' parts comes in at 2:55 it achieves a very nice effect. By 'western' I mean the obviously chord-oriented parts. Folk music of many kinds did not have a developed knowledge of chords, for better and for worse. I mean the more 'Chinese' parts have a clear feeling of notes moving within chords. This said, the production is very nice and achieves the goal.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

jonetsu wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:43 pm It's very nice as it sounds as expected 'Chinese' music can sound like to our ears. Actually when the 'western' parts comes in at 2:55 it achieves a very nice effect. By 'western' I mean the obviously chord-oriented parts. Folk music of many kinds did not have a developed knowledge of chords, for better and for worse. I mean the more 'Chinese' parts have a clear feeling of notes moving within chords. This said, the production is very nice and achieves the goal.
Thanks for listening! Yep, I liked the idea of the contrast between a more "traditional" approach and a more soundtrack-oriented break (especially for when it goes back to the Chinese inspired theme), so that's what I went for. I'm glad you enjoyed how it came out!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:59 pm Thanks for listening! Yep, I liked the idea of the contrast between a more "traditional" approach and a more soundtrack-oriented break (especially for when it goes back to the Chinese inspired theme), so that's what I went for. I'm glad you enjoyed how it came out!
Just for fun - hope it does not come across as being rude - here's a 'nontraditionnal' Chinese song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VNwd3dtcIE

Cheers.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

jonetsu wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:33 pm
Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:59 pm Thanks for listening! Yep, I liked the idea of the contrast between a more "traditional" approach and a more soundtrack-oriented break (especially for when it goes back to the Chinese inspired theme), so that's what I went for. I'm glad you enjoyed how it came out!
Just for fun - hope it does not come across as being rude - here's a 'nontraditionnal' Chinese song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VNwd3dtcIE

Cheers.
No worries, no rudeness detected :mrgreen:

I realize the term "traditional" I used may have been incorrect: I meant what we typically associate to old Chinese music, and I'm not sure what the proper term for it is in English (classical? folk?). But I do love all kinds of contaminations that try and mix old "traditional" music of a country with more modern influences: a good example are Wagakki Band, a Japanese band that mixes rock music with traditional Japanese instruments (shamisen, shakuhachi, koto, taiko, etc) and musical influences to create something unique, e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xTet06SUo
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Rainmak3r wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:59 pm I realize the term "traditional" I used may have been incorrect: I meant what we typically associate to old Chinese music, and I'm not sure what the proper term for it is in English (classical? folk?). But I do love all kinds of contaminations that try and mix old "traditional" music of a country with more modern influences: a good example are Wagakki Band, a Japanese band that mixes rock music with traditional Japanese instruments (shamisen, shakuhachi, koto, taiko, etc) and musical influences to create something unique, e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xTet06SUo
Thanks for the link. That's some pretty fast music isn't it.

There are/were many 'modern traditional' bands here and there, notably in Scandinavian countries. Mixing in those influences is great. Surely there are some of those bands in Italy also. In another life I used to do some business with a small Italian prog label (Kaliphonia) and in doing so I got a CD at that time that I always kept dearly. Looking it up now on youtube I found that the guys have created a year ago a channel where they put that album, plus other albums that I didn't knew about - good listening coming by !

Eg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23RCj-PDuTI

"Mille stoccate", the version I know, and one that I just discovered now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03tYs4oS1Kw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e062NgHLYsQ
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

jonetsu wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:00 pm Thanks for the link. That's some pretty fast music isn't it.
I may have picked one of their fastest and more agitated songs, that's true :mrgreen:
They have several tracks where they slow down, though, and even in this one the influence of their roots are quite apparent, which I find fascinating.
jonetsu wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:00 pm There are/were many 'modern traditional' bands here and there, notably in Scandinavian countries. Mixing in those influences is great. Surely there are some of those bands in Italy also. In another life I used to do some business with a small Italian prog label (Kaliphonia) and in doing so I got a CD at that time that I always kept dearly. Looking it up now on youtube I found that the guys have created a year ago a channel where they put that album, plus other albums that I didn't knew about - good listening coming by !

Eg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23RCj-PDuTI

"Mille stoccate", the version I know, and one that I just discovered now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03tYs4oS1Kw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e062NgHLYsQ
Oh, I didn't know about them! I was surprised they were singing in Neapolitan (I live in Napoli), so googling around I just found out they're from the Sannio area, which means they're from around here somewhere, or not that far anyway. The songs you shared are pretty good, especially the old version of "Mille stoccate", thanks for sharing them! I'll definitely have to dig deeper and listen to more now.
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Deep harmony! Fine music, very inspiritualistic for finding harmony sources! :) In ancient cultures stored the springs of life, about it don't write in history books, but we listen their voice in music :idea:
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

psyocean wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:06 am Deep harmony! Fine music, very inspiritualistic for finding harmony sources! :) In ancient cultures stored the springs of life, about it don't write in history books, but we listen their voice in music :idea:
Thanks for your kind words, really appreciated!
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

@Rainmak3r Really amazing! :shock: ... and totally unexpected. :D
I'm new on this forum and I'm astonished of all the variety of genres and good productions here.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

LAM wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:52 pm @Rainmak3r Really amazing! :shock: ... and totally unexpected. :D
I'm new on this forum and I'm astonished of all the variety of genres and good productions here.
First of all, welcome to the forum! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I've done so far :)
And thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you liked the piece! I'm always amazed as well by the variety of music so many creative people share here everyday, and it has indeed opened me to genres I didn't think I would have listened to otherwise.
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

I can't comment on the authenticity of the Chinese sound but I thought it was excellent, to my cloth ears! You never disappoint :D
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

turbidh20 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:38 pm I can't comment on the authenticity of the Chinese sound but I thought it was excellent, to my cloth ears! You never disappoint :D
Thanks, I'm humbled by your kind words!