AV Linux MX Edition Release Candidate Uploaded!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition Release Candidate Uploaded!

Post by GMaq »

sunrat wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:37 am
GMaq wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:45 pm If you don't mind telling me... my highest res monitor is 1920x1200 but the AV Linux 'Earth' Materia and Oomox themes were created with 'HiDPI' assets, would you mind verifying if XFCE4's appearance is improved with the Materia or Oomox themes?
I just booted up my AVL-MXE stick again to check this. Changing theme didn't make much difference so I had to wind my brain back to when I used MX regularly to remember the tricks.
MX now has a neat xrandr tweak in MX Tweak to scale the display so I set that at 1.50. Then the main remaining problem is the border grab handles are very tiny so it's really difficult to resize windows. This can also be fixed in MX Tweak by changing style to Default-xhdpi in the Window Manager section. These 2 tweaks improve the 4K screen experience exponentially. :wink:
Great info! Thanks!

Editing on a 4K monitor must be HEAVEN!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

GMaq wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:24 pm Editing on a 4K monitor must be HEAVEN!
Hallelujah bro!
It's actually a 43" 4K TV. I mainly use Mixbus 32C at 2/3 height on the left, with EQ6Q via jalv at bottom right for room correction and its handy JACK level meter, with Conky at top right.
I'd say 32" 4K would be the optimum screen for Mixbus or Ardour etc. but I watch TV and movies on it too.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Dear Glenn,

I am just showing up here to say: I can't praise AVLMX enough. I am completely blown away by it. Easy to install, super fast and light, stable easy to use etc. Congratulations, you did it! Only today I had the time to install it but the wait paid off. I honestly don't feel like going back to AVL2020 at all. If this is just a preview of how great the final version is going to be... I can't wait for it.

Thanks a bunch as always, you rock!
Att: Rodney
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Rodney wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:53 am Dear Glenn,

I am just showing up here to say: I can't praise AVLMX enough. I am completely blown away by it. Easy to install, super fast and light, stable easy to use etc. Congratulations, you did it! Only today I had the time to install it but the wait paid off. I honestly don't feel like going back to AVL2020 at all. If this is just a preview of how great the final version is going to be... I can't wait for it.

Thanks a bunch as always, you rock!
Att: Rodney
Hey man, thanks!

That's very nice to hear, hopefully another RC or maybe the final release coming soon!
Lume
Established Member

Post by Lume »

Hi,

Is there any chance to include rtpmidi in this MX edition?. I'm trying to install it but I can't, I'm getting the same error again and again: "System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate." :?

Thanks!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Lume wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:47 amIs there any chance to include rtpmidi in this MX edition?. I'm trying to install it but I can't, I'm getting the same error again and again: "System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate." :?
You can select to boot with systemd at the boot menu in MX. I haven't tried with AVL-MX but doubt Glen would have changed that.
I actually prefer distros with systemd myself having used them for a few years now.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sunrat wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:01 am
Lume wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:47 amIs there any chance to include rtpmidi in this MX edition?. I'm trying to install it but I can't, I'm getting the same error again and again: "System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate." :?
You can select to boot with systemd at the boot menu in MX. I haven't tried with AVL-MX but doubt Glen would have changed that.
I actually prefer distros with systemd myself having used them for a few years now.
@Lume

sunrat is correct, at the GRUB boot there is an option to select 'systemd' boot for MX. I have not made any modifications to this or to MX's Root permissions mechanism etc. Current AV Linux based on Debian Buster is systemd by default, MX gives you a choice of sysvinit or systemd. You can use the included 'Grub-Customizer' to make your system boot systemd by default if you want..
Lume
Established Member

Post by Lume »

Thank you both! @sunrat @GMaq

I didn't notice about that systemd option in GRUB, now I got a systemd system and rtpmidi working. :)

Maybe it's a dumb question or maybe it's out of the scope of this forum but... should I expect some performance decrease or something like that if I use systemd instead of sysvinit?. I don't think so, but I'm not sure... my computer knowledge is limited as I'm just a musican, not a computer guy.

Anyway, go on with this release Gmaq!. Really great work!

Thanks again!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Lume wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:15 amshould I expect some performance decrease or something like that if I use systemd instead of sysvinit?
You most likely won't notice any change. On my systems systemd maybe boots faster but not much. I get about 5 second bootup after GRUB bootloader and 3 second shutdown although it's a fairly minimal system (Debian, not MX) aside from audio stuff.
You will hear people rant against systemd for philosophical reasons. Practically, maybe 5 years ago it was still being rapidly developed and not optimal but now it has matured and works well.
buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

Hi Glenn,
Have you insert the drumfix patch for motu avb interfaces on the avlinux kernel?
I think you'll make us really happy with the mx version, thank you!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi @buonamorte.records

Can you send me a link to the latest patch? I read much of that forum thread but it seems the patch by itself is not fixing all of the MOTU issues.. I'm not going to get into extremely specialized kernel boot codes that may work for MOTU Users and cause problems for everyone else..
buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

Hi @GMaq ,
I think this is the latest patch: download/file.php?id=2188
I understand the problem, I'll learn how to do it (i hope i can, I've never done it)!
Waiting for the final MX, thanks a lot Glenn!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@buonamorte.records

Thanks for the patch, we are going to need to update the kernel to 5.9.X to get into the next RT patches and we also need to fix the recent BlueZ stack vulnerability. It appears as though many MOTU fixes are already in the mainline kernel but Trulan (the kernel guy) will make try to make sure we have all the MOTU stuff as present as possible as well as BlueZ. It will be a while before he has time to get to it and we have some time for testing but other than the kernel update 'AVL-MXE' is all ready to roll!
ApacheHatchy

Post by ApacheHatchy »

Great work all working good on an old Fujitsu Lifebook A series with i5-2450m 8GB ram

Looking forward to official release

One piece of software that would be nice if it was included would be VCV Rack its excellent love it

Thanks for your excellent work
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

ApacheHatchy wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:09 pm Great work all working good on an old Fujitsu Lifebook A series with i5-2450m 8GB ram

Looking forward to official release

One piece of software that would be nice if it was included would be VCV Rack its excellent love it

Thanks for your excellent work
Hi, thanks for the report!

I have looked at VCV Rack in the past but it seems to be very rapidly developed and it takes up a large amount of ISO real estate so I have backed away from it. Maybe at some point I'll look again, I'm juggling a lot of stuff for the switch over so it won't be on the first AVL-MXE release anyway..