Libre Music Challenge #5: Halloween

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rghvdberg
Established Member

Libre Music Challenge #5: Halloween

Post by rghvdberg »

tl;dr
Make a halloween track with Patroneo
Submit before midnight (0:00) 1-11-2020 (GMT)
Hello all,

The Libre Music Challenge is an event that originated in the chat server run by producer/musician/youtuber Unfa.
In this challenge we use only free audio software and some general rules apply (check viewtopic.php?p=120524#p120524)

In this months challenge we're gonna make a Halloween themed track with Patroneo, the "Easy Pattern Sequencer"
https://laborejo.org/patroneo/

All music (in this case midi) must be generated by Patroneo. You can mix the music in any libre DAW of your choosing.
Of course you can be, and I actually encourage you, creative in what you trigger with Patroneo.
If you record a guitar track/loop or vocals , use the, as samples, trigger the sample with Patroneo, go ahead.
As always, any processing
I'm pretty sure you can come up with more creative ways to use this software.
As always, any processing done to midi/audio generated with Patroneo is fine, as long as it's done with libre audio software.

Personally I've never used this software before but luckily there's extensive documentation in English and German at https://laborejo.org/documentation/patroneo/

Well, that's it. Good luck and I look forward to hearing your submissions and reading about how you did it.

Submit your work before midnight 1-11-2020 (GMT time)
You can submit tracks by posting links to your work in this thread. Make sure the audio is downloadable as all tracks will be posted on archive.org. (link will follow)

Good luck and if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.
nils
Established Member

Re: Libre Music Challenge #5: Halloween

Post by nils »

Good luck.

As the author of Patroneo I am here for quick-fix bug reports and general question. You can also contact me directly as nilshi on irc.freenode.org
Senbee
Established Member

Post by Senbee »

Hello everybody. I'm having problems installing Patroneo on UBuntu 20.04 with KXStudio repos (I don't know if it's a KXStudio problem, anyway).

Code: Select all

sudo apt install patroneo

patroneo : Depends: libffi6 (>= 3.0.4) but it is not going to be installed
            Depends: libreadline7 (>= 7.0~beta) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies.

sudo apt install libffi libffi-dev

libffi-dev libffi7 are already installed
Tried to compile it:

./configure --prefix=/usr

PREFIX=/usr
Checking Dependencies. No output is good
Nuitka3 is required but it's not installed.  Aborting.

sudo apt install nuitka

nuitka : Dipende: python-appdirs ma non è installabile oppure
                   base-files (< 7.2)
          Raccomanda: python-lxml (>= 2.3) ma non sta per essere installato
          Raccomanda: python-pyqt5 ma non è installabile
Tried to launch the executable python file from the source folder: it starts (after Jack) but then:

Patroneo Error: Calfbox module could not be loaded

I'm a SUDO wrestler - Italy - Ubuntu 22.04 - Ardour 8.4
All my songs: www.soundcloud.com/stefano-droghetti/se ... -droghetti
My Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/@StefanoDroghetti/featured
My homepage (in Italian): www.stefanodroghetti.it

SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

falktx is working on an updated Patroneo package for KXStudio.
Senbee
Established Member

Post by Senbee »

OK, after a full-upgrade, then apt install patroneo WORKS! ^___^

Thank you!

I'm a SUDO wrestler - Italy - Ubuntu 22.04 - Ardour 8.4
All my songs: www.soundcloud.com/stefano-droghetti/se ... -droghetti
My Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/@StefanoDroghetti/featured
My homepage (in Italian): www.stefanodroghetti.it

nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Great to hear that the technical problems have been resolved.
If you need any hints or tricks, ask away
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Here is my entry. It is called:

The Witch, the Skeleton, and the Alien from Zorblax IV

I have made this track in two days with free and open source music software like: Patroneo, ZynAddSubFX, Carla, drumkV1 and several lv2 plugins. All SFX are CC0 samples from freesound.org. Sampled instruments are from VSCO Community Orchestra.

I have recorded the song as downloadable .flac and as youtube video:

https://youtu.be/exfA-1TQDwA

http://hilbricht.net/downloads/Neal_Sky ... ax_IV.flac
AnyThreeWords
Established Member

Post by AnyThreeWords »

Harvested is the nightmarish tail of a sword carrying loner who prefers the companionship of a swarm of organ harvesting microbots to other humans. Our protagonist is in pursuit of an escaped abductee who could expose the heinous ring of evil scientists who are capturing people to use in their experiments in military cybernetics.

Music, samples, messenger voice and Harvester voice by Jesse Pender.

The Harvested played by: YOU Bwahahahah

I used Ardour session for all of my samplers and synths and wired it up to Patronio using Cadence's Catia tool

Plugins:
B.Harvestr (Obviosly)
Calf compressor and Gate
Dragonfly Hall Reverb
EQ10Q
Geonkick
Helm
LSP Sampler, Multiband compressor, Compressor, Limiter and Slapback Delay
x42 Autotune
YK Chorus

Here's the Ardour session, Patronio session and audio: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Since I blatantly disregarded the time suggestion on the last two challenges I decided to keep this one short. Also creating a whole song in a step sequencer is not my preferred method of operation. That said this was a fun challenge and I plan to keep Patronio around :)
Jesse
They/them
unfa
Established Member

Post by unfa »

Here's my take:
https://youtu.be/sIqvmz40PVo

I've done this really quickly (under an hour I believe), as I didn't have much time, but it was a fun challenge!

Here's a FLAC export as well as all source files for this project - I release them under CC-0. Feel free to remix :)
https://is.gd/dV4XsQ
MyLoFy
Established Member

Post by MyLoFy »

Hello LMClers!

Here's is my super creepy submission. Please don't listen after 8pm to avoid terrible nightmares.
Kindly advance at own risk:

Video: https://youtu.be/MJFL81SM2mg
Download: https://soundcloud.com/mylofymusic/frit ... y-goldfish

Cheers!
y6nH
Established Member

Post by y6nH »

Pat, Carla, Jack and Yoshimi versus the Ghosts from Space
** Updated **
https://open.audio/library/tracks/97303/

This is the current state of my entry. It's probably time to stop throwing more stuff at it, though I may tweak the mix and master. Composing in a DAW, I tend to make short tracks, but something about the Patroneo experience made this expand to mildly epic proportions. It's entirely sequenced with Patroneo (Pat for short), and all sounds and channel effects are from one instance of Yoshimi. Carla is just doing MIDI channel routing, and there's a Calf plugin host with some EQ and compression on the master out. No DAW. It's a really different way of working.

For maximum spookiness, it uses 13/4 time and a 7-note-octave Slendro tuning, plus lots of metallic sounds with those creepy inharmonic partials. I'm pretty pleased with the Waterphone sounds; it's the first time I've got stuck into the "FX" engine of Yoshimi / ZynAddSubFX.

It's also the first thing I've made on Manjaro (I've previously used Mint, Ubuntu Studio, MX and others).
Last edited by y6nH on Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
y6nH
Established Member

Post by y6nH »

@nilshi, Patroneo is a really clean, solid application, and I enjoy using it. My biggest problem was setting MIDI channels on the outputs so that I could drive the different tracks in Yoshimi. I used Carla to impose channels, but it would be really good if I could set a channel number per track in Patroneo.

Other features I'd find useful:
  • Mute / solo tracks
    Loop more than one bar
    Controller automation tracks
    Bar length adjustable per track
    Tempo and time signature changes
    Undo
    Save a snapshot to a timestamped file
But maybe you've left these things out deliberately, to preserve simplicity. I can respect that. Yoshimi and Patroneo are a real contrast: one has every conceivable feature, a horrible interface and is a bit flakey; the other has only the essential features, a beautifully easy UI and works solidly.
Last edited by y6nH on Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
zwenny
Established Member

Post by zwenny »

May I start rating the contributions:

+---+-----------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+-------+
|   | Artist          | Track                                                     | Score |
+---+-----------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+-------+
| 1 | nilshi          | The Witch, the Skeleton, and the Alien from Zorblax IV    |   4   |
| 2 | AnyThreeWords   | Harvested                                                 |   2   |
| 3 | unfa            | Halloweiner                                               |   3   |   
| 4 | MyLoFy          | Fritz The Creepy Goldfish                                 |   4   |
+---+-----------------+------+----------------------------------------------------+-------+
| 5 | Pulsing Bulb    | Pat, Carla, Jack and Yoshimi versus the Ghosts from Space |   3   |
+---+-----------------+------+----------------------------------------------------+-------+
I didn't have the time to learn Patroneo and rework The real monster. If somebody's interested in it (bit by bit), send me a PM. I'd like to share those old ideas and can provide single tracks.
Looking forward to look back what happens now

Listen to my music at:
https://www.jamendo.com/artist/373939/zwenny
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

So... shall we vote?
MyLoFy
Established Member

Post by MyLoFy »

Dear fellow LMClers!

Here is the link to the submission page on archive.org:
https://archive.org/details/libre-music-challenge-05

Below you'll find the scoring sheet. Please feel free to vote, whether or not you have participated. For each track you can give any score ranging from 1 to 5 with 5 being the best. Obviously don't vote for your own submission. Additional constructive comments are welcome!
Just paste your vote into this thread; if you want to give a silent vote please drop me a PM.
All votes and final results will be posted around 18th Dec 2020.
Thanks everybody for participating and voting!

Cheers,
MyLoFy

Scoring Sheet:

+---+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+-------+
|   | Artist                     | Track                                                     | Score |
+---+----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+-------+
| 1 | nilshi/Neal Sky            | The Witch, the Skeleton, and the Alien from Zorblax IV    |       |
| 2 | AnyThreeWords/Jesse Pender | Harvested                                                 |       |
| 3 | unfa                       | Halloweiner                                               |       |
| 4 | MyLoFy                     | Fritz The Creepy Goldfish                                 |       |
| 5 | Pulsing Bulb               | Pat, Carla, Jack and Yoshimi versus the Ghosts from Space |       |