Audio Interface for Linux -- Mackie, MOTU, Presonus, ?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

stephen_doonan
Established Member

Audio Interface for Linux -- Mackie, MOTU, Presonus, ?

Post by stephen_doonan »

--

Current (Sept. 2020) recommendations for audio interface and compatibility with Linux?

Onyx Producer 2-2 -- MOTU M2 or M4 -- PreSonus Studio 24C -- all include MIDI in and out x 1

Or?

--

Onyx-MOTU-PreSonus.jpg
Onyx-MOTU-PreSonus.jpg (102.63 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
lilith
Established Member

Re: Audio Interface for Linux -- Mackie, MOTU, Presonus, ?

Post by lilith »

I heard the MOTU M2 or M4 don't work. But maybe there's a hack in newer kernels?

The Behringer UMC range works out of the box and they have great components built in.
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

+1 on the Onyx Producer 2.2 - it's on my desk and doing a nice job right now.

I believe the RME Babyface, Babyface Pro and Babyface Pro FS all work in class-compliant mode. I certainly hope so, as I'm plotting to upgrade to the FS soon :)
Their Fireface UFX is also known to work with Linux, both via Firewire (if you still have it) and via USB in class-compliant mode.
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
stephen_doonan
Established Member

Post by stephen_doonan »

Jamesf wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:23 amI'm plotting to upgrade to the (RME Babyface) FS soon :)
Just curious--which features would cause you to consider a switch to an RME Babyface FS an upgrade?
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

stephen_doonan wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:42 pm
Jamesf wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:23 amI'm plotting to upgrade to the (RME Babyface) FS soon :)
Just curious--which features would cause you to consider a switch to an RME Babyface FS an upgrade?
From the Mackie Producer 2.2?
- 2 more analogue inputs, so I can have everything plugged in all the time.
- ADAT input for expansion to 8 more simultaneous inputs at 48KHz.
- Higher ADC quality - not that the Mackie is holding me back, but better's always nicer.

The immediate problem I'm solving is that my decade-old analogue desktop mixer is dying, and I've been sold on the idea of moving entirely to the digital realm.
6 inputs would be better, but 4 are sufficient for most things I'm going to do any time soon.
I could replace it with something cheaper from Focusrite, but I prefer quantum-leap upgrades over incremental ones - they tend to cost me less in the long run.

If my phrasing was unclear, and you thought I was talking about upgrading from an early Babyface, I apologise for the confusion :)
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

I've used both FocusRite Scarlett and the Behringer UMC line on my Linux rigs, and both get good results.

I was wondering about https://motu.com/products/proaudio/8pre-es - it says it works with Linux using a web interface? I remember MOTU absolutely shitting all over the Linux community when I was first getting into using Linux for pro audio - has that suddenly changed?
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

uns4ph3 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:35 pm I've used both FocusRite Scarlett and the Behringer UMC line on my Linux rigs, and both get good results.

I was wondering about https://motu.com/products/proaudio/8pre-es - it says it works with Linux using a web interface? I remember MOTU absolutely shitting all over the Linux community when I was first getting into using Linux for pro audio - has that suddenly changed?
They still don't give a shit. But see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18046&start=375

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

stephen_doonan
Established Member

Post by stephen_doonan »

Jamesf wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:29 pmIf my phrasing was unclear, and you thought I was talking about upgrading from an early Babyface, I apologise for the confusion :)
Your phrasing was clear and your explanation was helpful. Thank you. :)