Flight Guarantee EP - electro-punk / art-pop

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Baba-Gau
Established Member

Flight Guarantee EP - electro-punk / art-pop

Post by Baba-Gau »

Hello world!

A four song EP, enjoy!

https://babagau.wordpress.com/listen-support-download/
milo
Established Member

Re: Flight Guarantee EP - electro-punk / art-pop

Post by milo »

Your music is really interesting, full of cool electro sounds and danceable beats. Welcome to the forum!
Baba-Gau
Established Member

Post by Baba-Gau »

milo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:23 am Your music is really interesting, full of cool electro sounds and danceable beats. Welcome to the forum!
Thanks mate! I try to keep constant interest in a track, I like motion and sound design. Rarely do I use presets or samples of others, an exception being the drums of "antivirus city" taken from an early 80's casiotone I found in the fruitful garbage bin of the neighborhood. I listen to your songs, you got a very nice website!
Baba-Gau
Established Member

Post by Baba-Gau »

Baba-Gau wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:46 pm
milo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:23 am Your music is really interesting, full of cool electro sounds and danceable beats. Welcome to the forum!
Thanks mate! I try to keep constant interest in a track, I like motion and sound design. Rarely do I use presets or samples of others, an exception being the drums of "antivirus city" taken from an early 80's casiotone I found in (ok well, adjacent to) the fruitful garbage bin of the neighborhood. I listen to your songs, you got a very nice website!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

da \o\ n |o| c /o/ e
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Baba-Gau wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:46 pmThanks mate! I try to keep constant interest in a track, I like motion and sound design. Rarely do I use presets or samples of others, an exception being the drums of "antivirus city" taken from an early 80's casiotone I found in the fruitful garbage bin of the neighborhood. I listen to your songs, you got a very nice website!
Thanks! Your website is also interesting. I liked the photos of your studio and of your artwork. You are a crafty person, to be sure. Do you prefer the textured and curved plaster walls to a more absorbent substance like foam? I have a rectangle room as my studio and put blankets on the walls for sound dampening. Also have carpeting on the floor.
Baba-Gau
Established Member

Post by Baba-Gau »

Do you prefer the textured and curved plaster walls to a more absorbent substance like foam?
Hello Milo! I am an amateur into acoustics, haven' t studied the subject, but once I asked the local architecture university lecturer and he was cool enough to accept me in a semester of acoustics class, as an outsider! So I had a good beginning. The walls in a room are either parallel, non parallel or curved and with reflective or absorptive textures. Parallel walls make the waves add themselves together producing areas with uneven (loud/quiet) sound. Curves (only outward) diffuse the sound waves that are reflected, so we have a lot chances with a very even sounding room. Simply non parallel walls are somewhere in the middle. Reflective textures (hard textures like concrete, cement plaster, stone) make the room sound brighter. Absorbing textures (soft like sponge, paper, cotton etc) reduce the treble frequencies more and more the higher they are. There is a 19th century formula, from a person named Sabine, for calculating beforehand a room's sound, (its reverberation time) with parameters like its size and coefficients of materials used in walls, floor, ceiling and the area each material covers!
I believe that using the formula is the best thing one can do. We can live without it, with randomly curved surfaces and a mix of strong and soft materials. Then if we don' t have precision testing microphones, we have to play and listen and add/remove materials according to our taste! What kind of music do you play / listen in the room?
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

It is my recording studio, just used for recording/mixing/mastering. My music is mostly guitar and vocals, rock and folk. Some electro as well.

The room had an unpleasant reverberation until I added the wall hangings. Now it has a more pleasant resonance. But I am not an expert on acoustics. Maybe my local university offers a course I could sit in on ...
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

I loved seeing your workplace! Order and imagination! Very inspiring!

The music is cool too, a lot of stuff to discover and listen too! I like that the singing is in your original language (greek, right?). The percussions = great! There is some kind of "non-border" between sounds and percussion that I like!

The plate reverb looks cool. I can see the loudspeaker. What kind of mic do you use?

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Baba-Gau
Established Member

Post by Baba-Gau »

oscillator wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:09 am I loved seeing your workplace! Order and imagination! Very inspiring!
The music is cool too, a lot of stuff to discover and listen too! I like that the singing is in your original language (greek, right?). The percussions = great! There is some kind of "non-border" between sounds and percussion that I like!
The plate reverb looks cool. I can see the loudspeaker. What kind of mic do you use?
Thank you! I plan to listen to your stuff, I have your website tabbed and just extracted "White Noise"! Here in the Potistika Pelion holiday resort, we can access internet only at the beach, or at a hotel from our relatives, so I am seldom connected.
The mic is a small diaphragm 10$ diy condenser, equivalent in sound like the entry level commercial ones. Other parts of the chain are a Delta1010Lt and a Behringer MX8000 mixer that I didn't need anymore and passed it to another studio as its owner and good friend wished. I plan to make a diy preamp, probably with a transformer, one day. The plate reverb sends the sound back, through two piezo pickups, amplified by a turntable preamp.
The singing is in greek, yes, apart from some english phrases in Antivirus city and Touristas.
Your remark "non border" between sounds and percussion is very interesting and hits me on a subject I've been wondering for a long time. I hope now with your help, we shed some light to it... The melodies are synth (ams everywhere, and yoshimi (zynaddsubfx fork) just in a song I am working on now). The rythm is mainly samples, thrown in drumkv_jack. There usually is a gap between synths and samples in the beginning. As if the one does not fit with the other. Later, through filters, sample replacements, synth tones or noise mixed with the rythm samples, things get tighten. Of course I also change the synth sounds as the work continues, but I tend to appreciate synthesized sounds more than samples as I find sound designing an art as much as composing. As for the groove, we need to make it more interesting with velocity sensing modulations on filters, envelopes etc, with two or more samples for a hihat or a snare and frequency sensing depending on the software. Every sound serves a purpose and needs to add quality to the result. So, I am intrigued to know what you mean by non-border!
Baba-Gau
Established Member

Post by Baba-Gau »

milo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:29 pm It is my recording studio, just used for recording/mixing/mastering. My music is mostly guitar and vocals, rock and folk. Some electro as well.

The room had an unpleasant reverberation until I added the wall hangings. Now it has a more pleasant resonance. But I am not an expert on acoustics. Maybe my local university offers a course I could sit in on ...
Oh ok, milo==sanderson, so I have listened to your stuff! I think it is better to have a not too dry and not too wet room in your case, because your styles vary. Walk around the room and especially at the place where you mix. Compare with sound very near to your speakers, and with headphones, use eq where necessary. For instance, I have a pair of Akg headphones with few bass, where I add 4dB resonance at 80Hz with calf low pass filter.
But if you can attend course, yes! If the guy is ok, follow the teacher!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Baba-Gau wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:01 am Your remark "non border" between sounds and percussion is very interesting and hits me on a subject I've been wondering for a long time. I hope now with your help, we shed some light to it... The melodies are synth (ams everywhere, and yoshimi (zynaddsubfx fork) just in a song I am working on now). The rythm is mainly samples, thrown in drumkv_jack. There usually is a gap between synths and samples in the beginning. As if the one does not fit with the other. Later, through filters, sample replacements, synth tones or noise mixed with the rythm samples, things get tighten. Of course I also change the synth sounds as the work continues, but I tend to appreciate synthesized sounds more than samples as I find sound designing an art as much as composing. As for the groove, we need to make it more interesting with velocity sensing modulations on filters, envelopes etc, with two or more samples for a hihat or a snare and frequency sensing depending on the software. Every sound serves a purpose and needs to add quality to the result. So, I am intrigued to know what you mean by non-border!
What I was thinking of, first, was, like how a (especially) acoustic guitar is both a rhythm/percussion instrument and a melodic/chord instrument, at the same time. Depending on playing style etc of course.

But in my mind (and I mostly work with synthesized sounds) I tend to categorize sounds strongly into categories. This is a hindrance to my audio creativity. I have recently experimented with some analog hardware synths and more physical things like springs, using contact mics, and it is easier to not fall inte the "categorizing trap" that way. On the other hand, the music I make this way is not traditional songs, like I normally do.

I need to make my sounds more dynamic, so your thoughts were inspiring. Thanks! And good luck with your music!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Baba-Gau
Established Member

Post by Baba-Gau »

khz wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:51 pm da \o\ n |o| c /o/ e
Hi! What does it mean? I cannot understand. :(
Baba-Gau
Established Member

Post by Baba-Gau »

oscillator wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:54 pm But in my mind (and I mostly work with synthesized sounds) I tend to categorize sounds strongly into categories.
Here in the beginning I named samples in either greek or english, but with english characters, by the material and how it was used. Like "metal-plate-struck01.wav" "box-sand-shaken" etc... or how they sound, like "gntingg-sudden-heavy.wav" "ntiinnn-long-tail.wav" These sounds I have all in one folder and search either by name or with catfish, if I the keyword is not in the begininng of the file. Later I mkdir-ed directories "mechanical" "natural" "Industrial" "vocal" etc but they still remain empty. The synth patches I name usually from the timbre of the sound, "trombone-like" "crystals" "hard-saw", "soft-hihat-plate-rev" "stereo-waves" etc but sometimes by the modules used, like "4osc-sin-vcpan", "2saws-vcf-vc_delay" So I see that I categorize very abstractly. Whatever way we feel better!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Baba-Gau wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:10 am
khz wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:51 pm da \o\ n |o| c /o/ e
Hi! What does it mean? I cannot understand. :(
Dance \o\ |o| /o/
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.