Promises

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Promises

Post by jonetsu »

This is a synth piece. I find that the ride cymbals might be a bit too loud.

I do not know in which genre this can be, so no, no tags to offer apart from 'electronic' eg. synth based. As for synths, there are some u-he synths for Linux, Bazille, Zebra, Dark Zebra and Diva for all the warmness, while colder synths from the defunct Linplug are used for offset, such as Morphox, CrX4 and Spectral, no to mention Saxlab2 from the same synth creator. The processed piano is from Pianoteq's Linux plugin.

Cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/promises

jam752.jpg
jam752.jpg (19.36 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
spamatica
Established Member

Re: Promises

Post by spamatica »

Full disclosure, it didn't grab me for the first minute or so, so I switched to another tab. But for some reason left it running.

All of a sudden I found myself grooving to it. It was better and better further into the piece.
I sort of pictured it as background music to some detective story where a time lapse of an undercover operation was taking place. ;)
MusE DAW
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

spamatica wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:08 pm Full disclosure, it didn't grab me for the first minute or so, so I switched to another tab. But for some reason left it running. All of a sudden I found myself grooving to it. It was better and better further into the piece.
Neat !
spamatica wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:08 pmI sort of pictured it as background music to some detective story where a time lapse of an undercover operation was taking place. ;)
And all the time I spent trying to find an "inspired" title ! :)

Thanks for the comments ! Makes me think about condensing the essence of a piece, or something close to that, within the first 45 seconds, and then spending time taking a step back and developing for the rest of the piece, with a "chorus" at the end that brings back more strongly what was expressed at the beginning. Maybe I'll try that.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

New mix, same link as above. This time I think I got it nailed down pretty much.

Referring to the distorted guitar in the middle section I added the following in the description: "Are promises hammering at your door ?". Which segues into the voice heard right after that.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

This is a cool piece. As always with your tracks, the choice of sounds is excellent, and they are balanced very well. I also got the detective show vibe, like I should be wearing a trench coat and a fedora.

Or maybe just running Fedora?
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Another piece which can be appreciated by estimators of krautrock but you surprised me with the more modern industrial rock guitars :D

I liked very much the click sounds. Are they (very) high-passed e-piano-like sounds?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
jdfight
Established Member

Post by jdfight »

Excellent! That had a very unique sound and overall vibe- the saxophone part is what grabbed me and drew me in.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks !

@Basslint The echoed piano starts with a piano from the pianoteq Linux plugin, then EQed to make it cripser and at the same time to soften the attack, then going through a delay. Yeah, the heavy guitar is fun.

@jdfight The saxophone parts are also the anchor point for me. It turned out not that bad. Smooth but still cutting through. It was made using the now obsolete Saxlab2 from Linplug. The company was called Linplug but has nothing to do with Linux, it's a Windows VST. It rather has to do with the maker's name, Peter Linsener.

Cheers.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Whoops, looks like I forgot to answer here! I remember listening to the track, but I must have forgotten to write something about it.
milo wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:40 pm This is a cool piece. As always with your tracks, the choice of sounds is excellent, and they are balanced very well. I also got the detective show vibe, like I should be wearing a trench coat and a fedora.

Or maybe just running Fedora?
I remember thinking the same thing :lol: The Blade Runner-esque sax definitely gives that vibe: the rides rhythm, vibraphone and airy strings even more so! I'm not a big fan of the sound of the distorted guitar, though: are those synthetic too?

I don't know either what genre it might be called either, but I liked it! :mrgreen:
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Looks like I'll adopt the 'detective/suspense' genre. There would be a need to find a catchy term to characterize that to make it a full-fledged genre on its own. "Fedorock" (eg. Fedora) as good as it sounds wouldn't do it since this is not rock after all.

@Rainmak3r The heavy guitar comes from SampleTank 4.

And thanks @milo for the comments ! Forgot last time around.

Everyone: I'm not commenting on pieces posted here simply because I don't have much time to give attention to listening these days. When I have time, I do something else, like relaxing in creating music. But when I listen I comment. No comments mean no listen.

Cheers.
Last edited by jonetsu on Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Deep dive into sounds and synth options... Amazing music!

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
hm11
Established Member

Post by hm11 »

This is great, good background/ambient or theme music. Would go well on a video game in my opinion. But great work, specially on the drum patterns.
"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
- www.soundcloud.com/dannylyrica