Automation doesn't work

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

garvalf
Established Member

Automation doesn't work

Post by garvalf »

hello,

I'm trying to use automation to modify the volume of an audio track and a midi track. I've made the volume automation visible in the track settings, so I can visualise it. I can add a point by either clicking with the automation tool, or by right clicking on the volume meter on the left and selecting "add event".

I've set the automation in the mixing panel on the left to "read" (lire). The problem is it's not reading my automation at all. I've tried to same for panning, but it doesn't work, it's like automation is not enabled. What have I missed?

oscillator
Established Member

Re: Automation doesn't work

Post by oscillator »

Have you set the Automation mode button to Read? It is at the bottom of the mixer/channel strip.

See the wiki: https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/ ... automation

Automation is great stuff and works really well in MusE! :)

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hello. What version of MusE?

In the menu 'Audio' (where 'restart audio', 'bounce' etc. are found), do you see an entry 'Mixer Automation'?
If so, be sure it is clicked 'on'.
If it is 'off', there is no automation at all.

This entry was recently removed, to avoid accidently turning it off.

HTH.
Tim.
garvalf
Established Member

Post by garvalf »

I'm using latest version of Muse3.

@oscillator : yes I've set it to "read".

@Tim E. Real : thank you for your valuable help, this "Mixer Automation" (which wasn't mentioned at all in the manual), was not enabled!
In the menu 'Audio' (where 'restart audio', 'bounce' etc. are found), do you see an entry 'Mixer Automation'?
It's great it was removed later, because it's quite confusing!
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Good to hear!
Yes, you are the second person in about a month with this exact problem :wink:
So I removed it.

Actually, the latest version 3.1.1 was released a few days ago and the entry is removed there.
garvalf
Established Member

Post by garvalf »

I suppose by removing it, it's no longer possible to disable all automations in a project. But people can still disable an automation by setting individual tracks to "off" instead of "read". I think it was a fair choice to remove this option :)

Now Muse is my sequencer of choice for composing, recording midi and audio! I've tried several, but Muse wins overall!

(I've compiled latest 3.1.1 version, it was easy to upgrade, thank you for letting me know about this release)
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

garvalf wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:49 am I suppose by removing it, it's no longer possible to disable all automations in a project. But people can still disable an automation by setting individual tracks to "off" instead of "read". I think it was a fair choice to remove this option :)
Right, our reasoning was that it is mostly causing problems to allow to turn automaton off. And as you say, it can be disabled on track level (which also can be confusing).
garvalf wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:49 am Now Muse is my sequencer of choice for composing, recording midi and audio! I've tried several, but Muse wins overall!

(I've compiled latest 3.1.1 version, it was easy to upgrade, thank you for letting me know about this release)
Thank you : ) Not that MusE is in any way complete and there some bigger holes in functionality. But it is good to know that more and more people are finding that the way we want to approach music creation in MusE is worth it!
MusE DAW
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

spamatica wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:52 pm Thank you : ) Not that MusE is in any way complete and there some bigger holes in functionality. But it is good to know that more and more people are finding that the way we want to approach music creation in MusE is worth it!
I can only agree with @garvalf that MusE is a pretty awesome machine. But your comment made me interested in the future of MusE. What are those "bigger holes in functionality"? Is there a roadmap for MusE?

The only thing I wish for in MusE is for automation to behave like parts so they can move around. :)

Once again thank you all developers!!!

spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

oscillator wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:48 pm ...your comment made me interested in the future of MusE. What are those "bigger holes in functionality"? Is there a roadmap for MusE?
There isn't really a road map, it's a labor of love and things gets done where people/devs are missing features and wants to fix it.

I guess it depends on who you ask and exactly what the feature target for MusE is. It is quite possible to make music with it so maybe 'bigger holes' was a bit strong.
Maybe it's more like a million smaller things that would be really nice to have. Myself I work mostly with audio so I would like to improve audio editing, e.g as was discussed in the other thread, adjusting timing of audio. It would be really good to have better support for part fade in, fade out and automation in parts as you mentioned yourself.

Then again, if you compare MusE to a modern sequencer like Cubase, we have _a lot_ of missing bits ;) Granted most of that is probably never used by 90% of users.

If you ask someone else I'm sure we can get a completely different order of prioritization :)
More wanna-be developers are of course welcome :D
MusE DAW
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

spamatica wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:04 pm More wanna-be developers are of course welcome :D
Thank you for your answer and thoughts! :)

I would like to contribute (more) but I'm afraid ot the barrier of getting into the code base. I also don't know Qt... So I think I am going to make so documentation soon. Decscribing my workflow from start to finish.