AV Linux moving to MX Linux

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

AV Linux moving to MX Linux

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

The last AVL release (2020.5.10) was well received for the most part but there were still a few issues and users having difficulty with the 'Systemback' Installer and UEFI as well as problems installing to NVMe media. This has been very frustrating because it works for some folks and not for others, people are excited to try AVL only to be let down by the Installer not working on their machines.. Over the years I've seen a few MX Linux Users who do Audio work using the AVL kernels and some folks have suggested that I use MX as a base, I had been hesitant because I kind of like working with pure Debian and there is a lot of behind the scenes utilities and tweaks in AV Linux that would take a lot of time to transfer over a whole new base OS..

This week I popped over to the MX Forum and asked a few questions about their ISO tools and I installed MX Linux in a VM to kick it's tires... I can see why it is number 1 at Distrowatch! It is very well thought out and the attention to detail is very impressive, I introduced myself on the forum and the reception was very warm. I'm hoping I can take advantage of MX's impressive ISO building and Installation tools and hopefully bring them some Linux Audio and multimedia experience to help return the favour at least in a small way..

So work has now begun on AV Linux "MX Edition" it will not be officially supported by the MX Community especially at first but I have my own site, hosting and mirrors as always. It will take months to move everything and adapt my existing tools and hidden tweaks from the existing AV Linux base but I hope to have an alpha release ready this fall and continue with testing up until the next AV Linux release is due in April 2021.. Stay tuned!
Last edited by GMaq on Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
folderol
Established Member

Re: AV Linux moving to MX Linux

Post by folderol »

Interesting!
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

I really appreciate the part of your manual that describes the adjustments you made to stock Debian. I know it is time consuming, but if you could take notes of what you do to configure MXLinux during your work on it, I think it could useful and educational for others.
fruen
Established Member

Post by fruen »

exciting :idea:
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Hi Glenn great news here for new version av/mxlinux rules for Multimedia audio productions !!!!! :D

Gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Will be great when the switch to MX reduces your workload, while increasing easier installs
for AVL users, followed by more productivity. 8)
Cheers
Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

This is great, I'm looking forward to the improvements!

Is there a chance that linvst will be more in sync with recent versions in mx? That would be awesome.

Keep up the good work!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Robin Cherry wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:36 pm This is great, I'm looking forward to the improvements!

Is there a chance that linvst will be more in sync with recent versions in mx? That would be awesome.

Keep up the good work!
Hi Robin,

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, I'm digging into MX right now but haven't looked into their linvst packaging, I have some reasons/preferences for my own linvst packaging, however if you are referring to wine-staging being pinned in AV Linux I do that for a specific reason..

I've been using Wine and WindowsVST plugins on Linux now for about 12 years and I have had Wine break WinVST plugins on several occasions so I am very conservative with my approach to that and if something 'just works' I don't touch it. When I prepare an ISO of AV Linux I want to ensure that WinVST is reliably working in Ardour and Mixbus for people trying AV Linux for the first time (I don't know of any other Audio dists that do this, but I haven't tried them all) so while I'm working on the ISO if I get a wine-staging version that is working with the most recent linvst I 'break-proof' it by pinning it in Synaptic.. The last thing I want is for somebody to try AV Linux and everything works as expected in their live-session then install it and perform their first Package update and then it is broken, so wine-staging is pinned, advanced users will notice this and unpin it if they want and for novice users you are getting a tested and known-working wine-staging/WinVST setup that should continue to work..

In my (hopefully somewhat informed) opinion there are many applications and plugins that it may be attractive to get updates as soon as possible but for me Wine/WinVST is very much an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of dealio"..
Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

That is exactly what I was referring to. I didn't realize that pinning was an option. I will look into that. There are a few applications namely arturia midi control centre and newer synthedit vsts from krakli that I'm hoping to get working and I've read that newer versions of wine will help. Good to know!
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations as always! Avlinux is my number one choice OS, no doubt about that. Can't wait to test it. Meanwhile avlinux 2020 is smoking! Thanks for bringing such great OS for the masses.

Att.: Rodney
Lume
Established Member

Post by Lume »

Cool!

As far as I know it's Debian + XFCE too, so if the tools and configuration system provided by MXLinux are going to make it easier for you... go for it. Great. Just please keep the system as stable as it is right now. I don't know how you do it, but AVLinux is the best and most efficient audio distro by far. <3
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Thanks everyone for the positive comments and for the support, it is really valued!

Work on this is actually going very well, MX is extremely well thought out and their own additional tools, supplemental packaging and large helpful community already confirm to me this is a good step forward. Here is a Teaser screenie, MX 19.2 blended with the AV Linux RT Kernel and all of the usual Audio tweaks and some of the custom AV Linux packaging, I'm still modifying the AV Linux assistant and there is some more internal stuff to be done and of course there will need to be considerable changes and updates to the User Manual so no Alpha releases for a while yet..

Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Sweet teaser :D
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

A screencast with more details (lol...maybe too many).. I'm always astounded about how time flies when you're doing an off the cuff screencast... :oops:

https://youtu.be/hoLmzybXk54
Last edited by GMaq on Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

GMaq wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:05 am A screencast with more details (lol...maybe too many).. I'm always astounded about how time flies when your doing an off the cuff screencast... :oops:

https://youtu.be/hoLmzybXk54
hi Glenn when will the new av linux / mx linux iso be available? :D

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)