Face Value

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Face Value

Post by jonetsu »

Now this one is threading on common ground. As such it should be more apt to comparison with same kind of tracks. IMHO, the mix is not right. I won't be listing why now as to not influence listening, although I find there are areas to improve in order to sound more like this type of song would be.

Again, this is a 'guitar track'.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/face-value

jam740-FaceValue.jpg
jam740-FaceValue.jpg (7.09 KiB) Viewed 700 times
milo
Established Member

Re: Face Value

Post by milo »

Dude, stop complaining about your mixes. This sounds great. I dig this track. It is full of great acoustic guitar licks layered over a strong back beat. Makes me nod my head in time with the music. Reminds me a bit of the 1960's-70's Nashville sound.
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Very nice. Some lovely harmonic interplay between the guitars.
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Awesome Jonetsu! Enjoyed it a lot, but this time I agree with your own assessment, the mix could be better, particularly when it comes to the solo guitar.

How did you make the drums?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks for the comments.

About thew mix: I find that the bass notes shouldn't always be that long. They take a bit too much place. There's too much 'room' in the guitars, due to the microphone and acoustics. The solo guitar, indeed, can be more expressive. It gets better by the end as everything moves one gear up, but the beginning is not so good. And there's a general feeling of the instruments not being fully connected.

It's demo quality, but no more. I'll keep at it with this one, with the mix. Since it's threading on comfortable territory, the instrumental lot of country rock ballad of sorts - which I tend to like - there are a good quantity of pro mix references out there.

The drums sounds great, though. @Basslint The drums on this track are loops from the Loop Loft. The category of LL loops that I like and use here and there which are the "EverythingButSticks", 3rd generation, "AllAboutBrushes". Just a bit a CSR Room reverb was added.

Cheers.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

A bit late to the game, but it sound fine to me! I'm not very familiar with the genre, but the gut feeling was that it had the right vibe and sound (it reminded me partly of Wicked Games by Chris Isaak here and there, maybe the harmonic progression?). Actually it's drums that sound a bit "fake" to me, but it may be my laptop's speakers. Good work, and looking forward to hear the enhanced version!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi jonetsu!

Nice playing and arrangement, that Shiraki sounds great!! I like the layering of the guitars however on my monitor speakers the lower acoustic frequencies and the bass are piling up and creating a very resonant tone that makes the bass seem too loud when it really isn't.. I'm sure it is a frequency that could be tweaked out on the master bus with one of the Harrison Mastering EQ plugins.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Yep quite enjoyed this. Seems a pretty good mix, nothing shouting and nothing hiding :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}