[Motu M2] [Linux] Equalization

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

vengelmann

[Motu M2] [Linux] Equalization

Post by vengelmann »

Hey all,

I am aware there are issues* with the MOTU M2 in Linux. I have a related but separate question.

When you use something like the PulseEffects equalizer with the M2 set as the output, does that mean that ALSA is telling the M2 to perform equalization? Or is the computer's CPU still performing the equalization?

Also, is it possible there is an improvement in audio output quality into monitor speakers?

The reason I want to know is because of the process niceness. I have noticed the PulseEffects application substantially slowing down the rest of the computer.

Thanks,
Vincent

* viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20936
bluebell
Established Member

Re: [Motu M2] [Linux] Equalization

Post by bluebell »

PulseEffects runs on your computer and uses your computer's CPU to calculate all of its effects.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

vengelmann

Post by vengelmann »

Thanks.

Is there such a thing as an audio interface that performs the equalization instead of the computer's CPU? Is this (or could this be) one of several reasons for a DSP existing in an audio interface?
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

vengelmann wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:42 pm Thanks.

Is there such a thing as an audio interface that performs the equalization instead of the computer's CPU? Is this (or could this be) one of several reasons for a DSP existing in an audio interface?
Yes, I have the MOTU Ultralite AVB. It has a builtin mixer with EQ and other effects. It is controlled with a Web browser, e.g. Firefox and other stuff.

The MOTU Ultralite AVB needs either an older firmware (not possible with newer models) or a kernel patch and has still some issues that need workarounds.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

vengelmann wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:42 pm Thanks.

If you need only 2 channels, for example to EQ your active speakers, then I recommend the really affordable Behringer Ultra Curve Pro, a 19" hardware device. I use its parametric EQ to set the sound for my active speakers.