Your Thoughts on EQs

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

What EQ's Do You Use?

ZynEq
3%
EQuinox
3%
FIL - 4 band parametric (Fons')
11%
EQ10q (or eq1/4/6q)
27%
linuxdsp eq500, black eq, peq2a or af2-10
18%
C* eq
9%
Calf equalizer
20%
leet equalizer
2%
TAP Eq
3%
Zam eq2
5%

Total votes: 66

thumbknuckle
Established Member

Re: Your Thoughts on EQs

Post by thumbknuckle »

I use the EQ10Q for narrow cuts and the built in channel EQ and bus tone controls in Mixbus32C for broad tone shaping.
Faster than a laser bullet.
Louder than an atom bomb.
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

I must have used LinuxDSP Black-EQ and Steve Harris DJ EQ (:lol:) the most over the years.

These days I appreciate a parametric EQ with a real-time spectrum analyzer running underneath the graphic representation of the curves. Pretty happy with Bitwig's stock EQ.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I would have to put 'non of the above'. These days; I do all my mixing on Harrison Mixbus which has EQ on the tracks, the mixbusses and the master bus and I use the XT EQs if I feel the need to reach for anything else.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

English Guy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:17 pm I would have to put 'non of the above'. These days; I do all my mixing on Harrison Mixbus which has EQ on the tracks, the mixbusses and the master bus and I use the XT EQs if I feel the need to reach for anything else.
I love Mixbus's simplism aprouch, but the track EQs are not enough for cirurgical EQ (eg. take room modes out of mic recordings), or mastering
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Capoeira wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:13 pm
English Guy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:17 pm I would have to put 'non of the above'. These days; I do all my mixing on Harrison Mixbus which has EQ on the tracks, the mixbusses and the master bus and I use the XT EQs if I feel the need to reach for anything else.
I love Mixbus's simplism aprouch, but the track EQs are not enough for cirurgical EQ (eg. take room modes out of mic recordings), or mastering
That is where I reach for their excellent XT EQ and XT Mastering EQ (now available in their cross platform AVA Plugins). Each to their own. Unfortunately, if you are used to Mixbus having a mixer without the built in EQ, compression and high pass is quite jarring.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

English Guy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:20 pm
Capoeira wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:13 pm
That is where I reach for their excellent XT EQ and XT Mastering EQ (now available in their cross platform AVA Plugins). Each to their own. Unfortunately, if you are used to Mixbus, having a mixer without the built in EQ, compression and high pass is quite jarring.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

Unfortunately, if you are used to Mixbus having a mixer without the built in EQ, compression and high pass is quite jarring.
didn't understand this part
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Capoeira wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:18 pm
Unfortunately, if you are used to Mixbus having a mixer without the built in EQ, compression and high pass is quite jarring.
When you get used to having a mixer with the essential mix tools to hand, using another DAWs mixer, reaching for them and finding they are not there is jarring, because you are used to having them all ready to hand.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I would describe my attitude toward EQ, but my opinions may be too graphic for the moderators.

I'll wait for you to "get it" (unless you're a banjo player. I don't have that much time).

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

English Guy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:48 pm
Capoeira wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:18 pm
When you get used to having a mixer with the essential mix tools to hand, using another DAWs mixer, reaching for them and finding they are not there is jarring, because you are used to having them all ready to hand.
It's possible to expose the controls directly on the mixer strip in "stock" Ardour as well. I did a template for that using Steve Harris / LinuxDSP plugins. However, the widgets are perhaps a bit too much small and I don't think there's a meter available for compressors (etc.).

The bundled effects with Bitwig are always visible with the controls in the lower panel. Some like it for the improved workflow, some think they take up too much screen space. You can hide the panel momentarily, but it's not much of a solution for it.
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

+1 for Harrison's LV2 plugins. The XT-EQ and XT-ME plugins take care of anything the built-in EQ in Mixbus 32C cannot.

I would also trust the x42-EQ plugin, but since I paid for the Harrison stuff, I have learned to use them.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

LSP plugins. Works great.