new 2 Linux - not leaving XP cause of Sibelius

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lazylew
Established Member

new 2 Linux - not leaving XP cause of Sibelius

Post by lazylew »

Hi all

I tried to get into FreeBSD for a while, but it's too early 4 me - gotta get more basic knowledge on commands and it was a hassle to get any sound working.

Now trying out Ubuntu live-CD; at first glance it's fast and practical (gotta learn a lot though) but can't get sound (using LynxOne soundcard -> got some tips I have to check out to install OSS driver instead of ALSA).

I hope eventually it'll work so I can dump 90% of winXP (will keep it for the fantastic program Sibelius!!)

Main problem is time... working full time I don't even have enough time to practice music :shock: , let alone record it (some old stuff on www.overblow.com/ludo if you like harmonica) + I'm 51 (thus more picky on what I spend time on, except today after a glass of wine ;-))

greetings from Belgium, Europe

8) Lew
ScottL
Established Member

Post by ScottL »

Sibelius 4.1.5 under Wine at Ubuntu Forums

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=515478

and hi!
[font=Comic Sans MS]Drunky | SubGenius[/font]
[font=newsprint]Fat Drunk Bastards[/font]
SubGenius
The headroom is there to handle transients - not the "weight" of the entire signal.
lazylew
Established Member

Post by lazylew »

ScottL wrote:Sibelius 4.1.5 under Wine at Ubuntu Forums

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=515478

and hi!

very cool! thanks :)
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Welcome! Need help, just ask!

Sibelius... good program... but expensive too...

Lilypond is maybe a program to look at... I just subsribed to their mailinglist and many (new) people who uses Finale and Sibelius for many years say they find Lilypond better...

There's also musescore and nted and Rosegarden.

But I started also with a windows/linux dualboot, which is good to start with!

gonna listen to your music!
lazylew
Established Member

Post by lazylew »

studio32 wrote:...Sibelius... good program... but expensive too...
that's one of the reasons I want to get away from Micro$oft: it's easy to use some (not saying Sibelius) software illegally... and I start feeling guilty not always paying for it :oops:
Lilypond is maybe a program to look at... I just subsribed to their mailinglist and many (new) people who uses Finale and Sibelius for many years say they find Lilypond better...
I remember researching a little on what to replace Sibelius with, and Lilypond came out best, but still it's no match as far as I could assess at the time. It was some time ago so I'll look into it again, thanks.
...gonna listen to your music!
I hope you started with the youtube-link to check out my good looks :lol: