No Synths after copy of MusE binaries to other PC

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

dailybug2
Established Member

No Synths after copy of MusE binaries to other PC

Post by dailybug2 »

I copied the entire MusE installation from my PC to my laptop and it works - except for the synthesizers. I copied all files from /usr/local.

Only the MESS synths are present; no synths in LV2.

Installation on both PCs:
- Xubuntu 20.04, fully updated to the same state
- ubuntustudio-audio-plugins (this provides the synths)
- installed missing libs for /usr/local/bin/muse3 (checked with ldd)
- checked all libs which come with MusE (ldd)
- checked some synth libs (.so) which come from ubuntustudio-audio-plugins (ldd)

No unsatisfied dependency found at all!

Observation: MusE throws many of these error messages on startup, on my laptop only:
error: failed to open file /usr/lib/lv2/gx_colwah.lv2/manifest.ttl (Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
The file is neither present on the PC nor on the laptop. Strange.

Is it impossible to build the binaries on one machine (PC i5-3470) and run it on another (laptop i5-4300U)?
Is there some dependency on the development packets which of course are not installed on the cloned installation?
Except for the missing synths, MusE is fully functional on the cloned installation and the CPU load on my laptop is lower than expected (to say something positive).

If there is no explanation for this issue, I will just build MusE from scratch on my laptop too. Perhaps this will revive the synths.
/* Drunk, 'll fix later ... well, usability is anyway only of interest to those who got beyond the crashes! :P */
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: No Synths after copy of MusE binaries to other PC

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hello. Generally, copying binaries from one installation to another is not recommended.
It is always best to build the app natively on the target.

But hey, it at least runs.
Please check Global Settings > Plugin Paths to make sure they point to your plugin folders.

Or, the problem might be that lv2, lilv, and sord packages are not all installed on the target?

You may run MusE with the -D command-line option for diagnostic output and post the results.
Hopefully it will reveal the problem.
error: failed to open file /usr/lib/lv2/gx_colwah.lv2/manifest.ttl (Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
Yeah, that's a known Guitarix problem. Don't worry too much about it. Just a warning.
If I recall the author acknowledged it recently, and has either made a fix or was working on a fix.
dailybug2
Established Member

SOLVED: No Synths after copy of MusE binaries to other PC

Post by dailybug2 »

Some more trial'n'error revealed: And the magic spell is ...

sudo apt-get install liblilv-dev

So that's a cute bug, cute because there is a simpe workaround. I will report this on github.io too.
/* Drunk, 'll fix later ... well, usability is anyway only of interest to those who got beyond the crashes! :P */
spamatica
Established Member

Re: SOLVED: No Synths after copy of MusE binaries to other PC

Post by spamatica »

dailybug2 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:50 pm Some more trial'n'error revealed: And the magic spell is ...

sudo apt-get install liblilv-dev

So that's a cute bug, cute because there is a simpe workaround. I will report this on github.io too.
Alright, that clears it up.

I saw you wrote in the ticket that MusE depends on the development package, actually I'm pretty sure it's the liblilv library that MusE depends on. When you install the dev package the library will also be be installed (since the dev package depends on the library and the packaging system will pull that in by itself).
You should be able to test this theory by uninstalling the dev package, if I'm right, the library won't be removed and MusE will still work.

It's actually a bit surprising that MusE would start without liblilv, I would have thought it would simply refuse. ... that might mean that I'm wrong.
MusE DAW
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

I agree 100%, was going to mention that.
dailybug2
Established Member

Post by dailybug2 »

Checked this again:
- purged all libraries with deborphan, removed also the libs MusE depends on.
- reinstalled the libs MusE needs to start
- started MusE - NO SYNTHS!
- installed lv2-dev
- started MusE - SYNTHS are present!
- removed lv2-dev
- started MusE - NO SYNTHS!

So my first statement was wrong or some other dependency pulled in lv2-dev.